Sadam AGAIN?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I saw this article on the BBC News website and could hardly beleive my eyes. Can Sadam really be threatening Israel? I doubt it but I thought you guys might find it interesting.

Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein has said his country could destroy Israel if it was given access to land next to the Jewish state.
On Wednesday, Iraq's state controlled newspapers carried the president's threat, which he made following the recent bloody clashes between Israelis and Palestinians.
Iraqis are calling the threat one of the strongest statements by Saddam Hussein in years.
An idle boast or a serious threat to Israel? With Iraq's unpredictable leader, it is hard to tell.
The government controlled press quoted the president as saying Iraq could put an end to Zionism in a very short time if only it was given a piece of land next to Israel.
That is highly unlikely to happen, but Iraq did physically attack Israel during the Gulf War nine years ago by firing 39 Scud missiles at the Jewish state.
Iraqis say the clashes over the last few days between Israeli forces and Palestinians have enraged their president.

Angry outburst

On Tuesday he was seen on television banging his fist on the table in anger, criticising Arabs for not doing enough in response to Israeli killings in the Palestinian territories.
He said the great people of Iraq were ready to destroy Zionism right now and he called on Arabs to brandish their swords and make the sacrifices needed.
Iraq has also been calling for a holy war to liberate Jerusalem from Israeli control. President Saddam Hussein has said Iraq did not need to wait for sanctions to be lifted before striking Israel.
The United States says it closely monitors Iraq for any signs of military activity, but United Nations inspectors looking for Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction have not been in the country for nearly two years now.

What can he mean "Iraq doesn't have to wait before sanctions are lifted before stricking Israel". Does Iraq still have weapons with enough range to hit Israel? Has it purchased new ones? If so, from who?

Original post

RE: Sadam AGAIN?

Saddam probably kept back enough missiles to strike Israel which the UN weapons inspectors could not account for at the time. Saddam's reluctance to reveal all of his arms programmes were responsible for the weapons inspections failing (although alleged CIA hijacking of the weapons inspection team was also at fault). No-one knows the true scale of Iraq's missile capability. It's probably also a bit of Saddam's old rhetoric of Arab brothers-in-arms; Palestinians-Iraqis unite, Israel - the old enemy, etc. He did it in the Gulf War and does it from time to time, sort of to say "I'm still here" and appeal to the more extreme elements of the Arab world. Problem is, more might be sympathetic with the Palestinians this time.

Member for

24 years 3 months

So you don't think he's been supplied any new weapons. If you're right thats would be a releif, a couple of old (probably poorly maintained) Scuds need not worry Israel too much.

The main threat is that other Arab countries would unite with Iraq (unlikley) against Israel in light of the recent clashes on the West Bank.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Saddam is all bluster- Iraq in no way has the moxie to threaten Israel- unless you're talking nukes or chemical weapons. COnventionally, the Iraqis can do little- of course, if they do become crazed enough to use WMDs against Israel- then Iraq would be good for little more than serving as a nice research location for future archeologists (I'd say the radition would reduce in 20 odd years).

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hindu pig- of course you will side with the Jews. Allah will ensure that the Zionists pay ten fold for the innocent blood they have spilled in Palestine.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Will he? He hasn't done much to punish the Israelis so far has he?

Doesn't it make you doubt Allah's powers a little Ghazi?

I mean, the Israelis have been beating the Arabs pretty conclusivley in wars for 50/60 years now, what has Allah done to help you?

I say, sod Allah and buy yourself some S-300s from the Russians!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Or maybe you should turn to the Jewish God, seems he HAS been helping his people for the apst 50/60 years...

Member for

24 years 3 months

What you all fail to realize is that the Israeli military hasn't been decimated by constant Coalition airstrikes over the past 10 years. Unless Saddam has managed to pull nuclear warheads out of his "backside", and even though I support the Palestinians in their cause, I have to go with Israel over Iraq.

Member for

24 years 3 months

this my God is better than your God is just funnnnyyyyy...50 years is smaller than a speck of dust in the grand scheme of eternity...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yeah its funny but its getting old...this is going to end up like the India/Pakistan debate just watch...

Member for

24 years 3 months

My coment was a sarcastic comment. Should have made it clear in the original comment, I see.