F-80C Shooting Star

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I know the F-80 is not exactly a modern fighter, it isn't even in service any more, but I have had such a time figuring out what the plane was capable or carrying. I have info that says two hardpoints, some that says four. I consider at least four, as the wingtips are hardpoints, but I am so confused. Can anyone who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT help me out here. If you can tell me a list of stores (weapons, fuel tanks, etc.), how many of each it can carry, as well as how many hardpoints. Rockets are what really have me confused. Thanks a lot.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: F-80C Shooting Star

Come on guys, surely somebody out there knows about the F-80. Please help me out here.

The P/F-80 was originally designed with two hardpoints on the wingtips. The problem was that the Shooting Star didn't have any range without the drop tanks and couldn't carry any bombs with them. The engineers at Lockheed redesigned the plane to have four hardpoints--two at the wingtips and two under the wings. The plane still had limited range so the "misawa" drop tank was designed.
My sources are "fighter pilot's heaven" by Donald S Lopez and "test flying at old wright field" (i can't remember the author's name)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Phantom, the P-80C Shhoting Star had six 0.50-in machine guns, and it could carry two 454 kg (1,000 lb) bombs and 8 rockets.