Pakistan Air Force

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

The smoke varies according to throttle setting.

But speaking in general terms RD-33 engines are smokier by comparison to others.

The JF17 uses the RD93 not 33. And it has been widely reported that the improved version used in the JF17 is smokeless, and so far all pictures of production version Thunders would seem to back this up.

Besides, your throttle setting explaintion just plainly doesn't make sense. The RD33 tends to smoke when flying at low speeds, but that picture shows the planes doing a 'split' manoeuvre, which requires a major increase in engine power. The engines would stop smoking when doing it, not start to smoke.

Member for

19 years 5 months

those smoky RD-33s make it look like they were done specially for the show..:D

Don't forget India also has Mig-29 using RD-33 engines, are u bashing yr own beloved country choice of fighter? :D Stop making senseless issue of FC-1 engine being smoky. Can't u see it an air show and smoke is neccessary to display the flight path. Smoky issue was solved long ago....

Member for

17 years 8 months

The JF17 uses the RD93 not 33.

I know.
And it has been widely reported that the improved version used in the JF17 is smokeless, and so far all pictures of production version Thunders would seem to back this up.

Smokeless is a relative term.
Besides, your throttle setting explaintion just plainly doesn't make sense. The RD33 tends to smoke when flying at low speeds, but that picture shows the planes doing a 'split' manoeuvre, which requires a major increase in engine power. The engines would stop smoking when doing it, not start to smoke
The engines smoke towards the top end of dry thrust.

Member for

19 years 9 months

I think the first Horizon for the PAF will be rolled-out any day now... thought I would post this pic of the self defense kit. Hope it's not a repost. Don't know if all of it is all on the PAF planes but according to Saab's webpage self-defense and EWS is standard on the Saab 2000 version.

Also the PAF Horizons will be equipped with extra cabin fueltanks for even longer endurance. These tanks are integrated with the normal fuel system so there's no extra handling required.

(Ps. Horizon is the Saab name for Saab 2000 with Erieye so maybe the PAF will rename it...)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5092/saab2000ewis5.th.jpg

Member for

19 years 4 months

Don't forget India also has Mig-29 using RD-33 engines, are u bashing yr own beloved country choice of fighter? :D Stop making senseless issue of FC-1 engine being smoky. Can't u see it an air show and smoke is neccessary to display the flight path. Smoky issue was solved long ago....

stop bull****ting..everyone knows that the MiG-29s engines are smoky..I just pointed out how smoky those FC-1s are as well..

as for airshows, the smoke is from canisters on the wingtips, not the engine nozzle..:D just accept the fact that the RD-33 series or its derivatives have smoky combustors..the newer RD-33MK3s on the MiG-29K are the only ones where a very conscious effort was made to take care of the combustor.

Member for

19 years 5 months

stop bull****ting..everyone knows that the MiG-29s engines are smoky..I just pointed out how smoky those FC-1s are as well..

as for airshows, the smoke is from canisters on the wingtips, not the engine nozzle..:D just accept the fact that the RD-33 series or its derivatives have smoky combustors..the newer RD-33MK3s on the MiG-29K are the only ones where a very conscious effort was made to take care of the combustor.

I seriously pity u that u never got a chance to attend an air show and never see an air show pictures. Now I show u something,ok? ;)

Btw, I know Indian know nuts abt Mig-29 and can't do any modification without Russkie help. That's why they can't get rid of the smoky trail of their Mig-29.. :D While FC-1 is totally done by Pakistan and China. That is the main different. Yr jet is smoky doesn't mean mine desoite using the same engine..

Attachments

Member for

19 years 4 months

you want to compare that Thunderbird F-16s smoke contrails to the smoky engine exhaust of the FC-1 ?:D I thought that it would be ridiculous if a Pakistani tried to pass off that exhaust as a deliberate show trick, but it turns out thats exactly what a dud like you would try to do !! :D

As for Pakistani help on the FC-1, I'm guessing you're referring to the paint..best quality paint in the world !:D

Member for

19 years 5 months

you want to compare that Thunderbird F-16s smoke contrails to the smoky engine exhaust of the FC-1 ?:D I thought that it would be ridiculous if a Pakistani tried to pass off that exhaust as a deliberate show trick, but it turns out thats exactly what a dud like you would try to do !! :D

As for Pakistani help on the FC-1, I'm guessing you're referring to the paint..best quality paint in the world !:D

I thought someone say air show smoke will only from wingtip and when proven, it can came from nozzle engine. He switches his tone. How can we trust such indecisive person words? I sense great sour grapes! :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 8 months

I seriously pity u that u never got a chance to attend an air show and never see an air show pictures. Now I show u something,ok? ;)

Btw, I know Indian know nuts abt Mig-29 and can't do any modification without Russkie help. That's why they can't get rid of the smoky trail of their Mig-29.. :D While FC-1 is totally done by Pakistan and China. That is the main different. Yr jet is smoky doesn't mean mine desoite using the same engine..

What has Pakistan developed on FC-1? Are there any genuine Pakistani systems?

Flamers say away, i want a serious explanation.

Member for

19 years 4 months

I thought someone say air show smoke will only from wingtip and when proven, it can came from nozzle engine. He switches his tone. How can we trust such indecisive person words? I sense great sour grapes! :rolleyes:

you're blind enough to see that smoke from the engine exhaust as being air-show related thanks to your nationality..:D everyone knows that the RD-33 is a smokey engine..the RD-33MK Sea Wasp on the MiG-29K is the only RD-33 engine that has work done specially on the combustor. Here's an excerpt from an article by Piotr Butowski

"The MiG-29K is powered by a Klimov RD-33 Series 3M turbofan. This version which is to have a useful life of 2000 hours, is fully protected against corrosion and has a smoke-free combustion chamber"

link

The only major difference between the RD-33 and the RD-93 is given on JF17.com- "The most significant difference being the repositioning of the gearbox along the bottom of the engine casing." Nothing to do with a new combustor, hence it will be just as smoky as baseline RD-33s.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Maybe India can sell Pakistan some '33Mks- how's that for detente!
(but don't forget to move the gearbox) :)

Member for

17 years 8 months

Yes..

RD-33MK is the first product of major modifications of the basic engine. Its horsepower is 7% higher due to the use of cooled blades made of modern materials including composites.

FACTS
Unassisted takeoff of the MiG-29K fighter from the aircraft carrier deck is possible owing to the increased horsepower of the engine;
The engine contains systems that reduce its infrared and optical visibility;
The service life of the engine is a long 4,000 hours;
Installed on MiG-29K, MiG-29KUB and MiG-35 jet fighters;
Developed in 2001.

http://en.klimov.ru/production/aircraft/RD-33MK/

RD-93 and RD-33 series 3(which India is going to produce 120 nos) have got longer MTBO but other than that not much change than basic RD-33.

Member for

20 years

Having seen a number of FC-1/JF-17 pictures & videos since its first flight, I think that 'smoky engine' problem still persists though to a lesser extent than with the first prototype.

What has Pakistan developed on FC-1? Are there any genuine Pakistani systems?

That is a question to which I dont think we will get an answer for sometime yet. Although Chinese and Pakistanis have advertised this machine for obvious reasons, we still don't know much about it even the most basic things, e.g. how many flight hours have the flying protoypes and LSP machines (not even sure if its 8 or 16) have logged etc. All we know is that a large contingent of Pakistani engineers and technicians have been working alongside their chinese colleagues for years now.

Member for

20 years 7 months

PAF to induct eight JF-17 Thunder aircraft by year end

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

PAF to induct eight JF-17 Thunder aircraft by year end

* PAC has achieved capability to produce aircraft locally

KAMRA: Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed said on Tuesday that the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) will induct eight JF-17 Thunder aircraft into its fleet by the end of this year.

He was addressing the launch ceremony of the subassemblies co-production manufacturing facility of Joint Fighter (JF)-17 Thunder at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), marking formal assembling of the fighter aircraft in Pakistan.

He said the PAC had all the plans to make JF-17 Thunder the world’s first weapon system that is able to carry all types of conventional and non-conventional weapons. “We will prove that Joint Fighter is the best available aircraft in the market,” the air chief said.

Indigenous production: He said that all JF-17 Thunders would be produced in Pakistan, “as the PAC has achieved the capability to assemble and paint the frame and the aircraft”.

He said the indigenously assembled aircraft would take part in the Pakistan Day ceremony.

He said the PAF would induct 150 aircraft in its inventory in the first phase, according to the agreement with the Chinese company. “Still we will require some 100 aircrafts, as the PAC envisages to take the yearly assembling and manufacturing capability of the aircraft from eight aircrafts at present to 15 and then up to 25 by 2011,” he said.

He said that about 60 percent of the aircraft’s frame, while 80 percent of its avionics would be manufactured in Pakistan by 2010. He said that about 40 to 50 aircrafts would have avionics of Chinese origin, while the next batch would be fitted with indigenously developed avionics. app

Member for

17 years 9 months

He said the PAC had all the plans to make JF-17 Thunder the world’s first weapon system that is able to carry all types of conventional and non-conventional weapons.

:rolleyes:

Member for

17 years

He said the PAC had all the plans to make JF-17 Thunder the world’s first weapon system that is able to carry all types of conventional and non-conventional weapons.

That is indeed not a valid statement. Either the chief is on an ego trip or the journalist is taking liberties.
Only related thing i can think of is the possibility that it would be the first aircraft able to carry Chinese, European, Russian and US weapon systems.

Member for

17 years 5 months

That is indeed not a valid statement. Either the chief is on an ego trip or the journalist is taking liberties.
Only related thing i can think of is the possibility that it would be the first aircraft able to carry Chinese, European, Russian and US weapon systems.

The news reporter indeed took huge liberties ;)

Here is some of what he said (not complete proceeding but it does include the paint part which has become quite popular with a certain segment :D .)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2788859590992063417&hl=en

He was actually refering to the paint scheme of sino-pak flags.

But then what do you expect from our news reporters :p

Member for

20 years

But then what do you expect from our news reporters

This is what happens when an ordinary journalist not knowing ABC of defence sector tries to cover the latter. Unfortunately, even those newspapers with large circulation do not employ special correspondents. And when it comes to editing, its probably nothing more than 'spelling check' though i even doubt that.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Saab 2000 Aircraft Rolls Out, ready for Installation of AEWC system
April 3, 2008

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Air Force achieved a major landmark in its Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEWC) Program with the roll out of its first aircraft - SAAB 2000 AEWC - in a simple but impressive ceremony held at the Saab facility in Sweden.

Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed, Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force was the Chief Guest on the occasion.

On arrival the Air Chief was received by Ake Svensson, CEO of Saab.

The rolling out of the aircraft would pave way for the installation of survillance and airborne warning gadgetry and equipment. This work would soon be completed for its onward induction in PAF’s fleet.

Speaking on the occasion Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed said the acquisition of airborne early warning capability by the PAF would greatly enhance PAF’s defensive capability and was an essential part of its modernization efforts.

He said the achievement of AEW & C capability will provide a much needed boost to Pakistan’s security needs.

The ceremony is considered an important milestone which ensures timely procurement of state-of-the-art technology of ERIEYE radar onboard Saab 2000 aircraft to PAF.

Also present on the occasion was Pakistan’s Ambassador to Sweden Mr. Shaheen Gilani and other officials.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Pakistan Meets Developing World’s Defense Needs

Pakistan’s Integrated Defence Systems (IDS) may be a novice player in the international defense market but it has made a virtue of this by developing modern products that meet the needs of developing countries without the complication of political “strings.” The IDS product range includes weapons ideally suited for carriage on modern combat aircraft, such as the Lockheed Martin F-16 operated both in Pakistan and by some other air forces in the region.

Having been on the receiving end of a U.S. arms embargo, Pakistan is aware of problems that can arise from international arms sales and, consequently, has positioned itself as a low-profile source for state-of-the-art conventional weapons. Indeed, IDS can supply air-delivered weapons that often match similar products available from major arms manufacturers.

For example, it has devoted years of intense research and development to a series of effective air-delivered cluster bombs, including the combined effect munitions (CEM)–an all-purpose air-delivered weapon that combines light armor capabilities with anti-personnel and incendiary effects.

A total of 247 triple-effect bomblets are loaded in each dispenser, enabling a single payload attack against a variety of targets and with wide area coverage. The CEM is claimed to be effective in halting the advance of armored columns in the hope of bringing an invasion by enemy forces to a standstill.

The Hijara anti-armor bomb designed to hit and destroy enemy tanks and armored vehicles is also marketed by IDS. It can be used against soft targets such as supply routes, open aircraft bunkers, runways, large infantry/armor formations and columns of vehicles. The Hijara is similar in design and capabilities to the U.S.-made “Rockeye” bomb.