"An SR-72? Lockheed Martin’s New Mach-6 Spy Plane "

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Considering the conditions of the shot a Nike Ajax could have done it. :rolleyes: Oh, and nobody calls it a "wobbly goblin" except Clancy in a piece of fiction.

Or a Nike Hercules, for the matter ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Or a Nike Hercules, for the matter ;)

Using a nuclear warhead is cheating! :p

You coming this way for a party, or what? :D

Member for

24 years 3 months

No it's not ! :D As they said, "if it flies, it dies"

Party? I wish! I'll probably stop a little north of you in the fall, though. So who knows? ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

If you do end up around this way, let me know.

Member for

17 years 2 months

Where did you hear that? I know it hit Mach 3.29 during a test flight, but I've never heard of it being badly damaged. The first jet was pretty screwed up after the maiden flight, but that's because a lot of the inserts in the chines decided to no longer be a part of the program :D

I read it to be precise. It was the first sustained Mn 3 run made by the A12. The frictional heating was much higher than had been predicted and some wiring had been damaged. Also the a/c had lost most if it's hydraulic oil due to the heat. The pilot later claimed that he had lost so much fluid that if he had continued flying for about 15 seconds more, he would have been walking.
Now that would have been abit of a shock for him.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I read it to be precise. It was the first sustained Mn 3 run made by the A12. The frictional heating was much higher than had been predicted and some wiring had been damaged. Also the a/c had lost most if it's hydraulic oil due to the heat. The pilot later claimed that he had lost so much fluid that if he had continued flying for about 15 seconds more, he would have been walking.
Now that would have been abit of a shock for him.

OK that I do remember, but that's not the Mach 3.29 flight that occurred later on in the test program that I was referring to. The problems encountered during the first Mach 3 run were overcome early on.

Member for

18 years 8 months

Also the a/c had lost most if it's hydraulic oil due to the heat.

I take it you did not know that the A-12 (also YF-12 and SR-71) hydraulic fluid had to to heated so it will flow. I could see a broken line, happen often, but heat was the hydraulic fluids friend. Even the ground service cart were called "hot carts" because they had a heater system on them.

Member for

17 years 2 months

I take it you did not know that the A-12 (also YF-12 and SR-71) hydraulic fluid had to to heated so it will flow. I could see a broken line, happen often, but heat was the hydraulic fluids friend. Even the ground service cart were called "hot carts" because they had a heater system on them.

Yes I do know that, still, too much heat is nobody's friend.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Great news...but...:diablo:
If it's unmanned...who cares?
While I certainly appreciate the engineering and capabilities, but without a pilot a UAV is just a reuseable missile. Not as interesting, fun or "sexy" as a piloted aircraft.
In other words...is it "an aeroplane"?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Great news...but...:diablo:
If it's unmanned...who cares?

me, e.g

While I certainly appreciate the engineering and capabilities, but without a pilot a UAV is just a reuseable missile. Not as interesting, fun or "sexy" as a piloted aircraft.
In other words...is it "an aeroplane"?

Yes it is! The difference between a missile and an aeroplane is the aeroplane produces aerodynamic lift by means of having wings...

The brain behind the machine does not necessarily have to be inside the machine!

Member for

17 years 2 months

me, e.g

Yes it is! The difference between a missile and an aeroplane is the aeroplane produces aerodynamic lift by means of having wings...

The brain behind the machine does not necessarily have to be inside the machine!

'Aeroplane'...?

... hmm.

I say, ol' fruit. Aren't we being just a teeeeensy bit English? Where's that perennial doffing of the cap to the Yanks and their ongoing marmelisation of the language?

'Airplane', if you don't mind... and make sure you know your place in the world.
Of course, I suppose the Yanks themselves are going to have to learn the Mandarin for the word any year now....

Member for

18 years 11 months

Of course, I suppose the Yanks themselves are going to have to learn the Mandarin for the word any year now....

And the Brits will have to learn Arabic. :p