UK Seaking Review

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on UK Seakings remaining in service. After years of upgrades and alterations its rather complex. I am going to list what I believe to be the situation and perhaps folks can weigh in with their own particular knowledge.

My current understanding is as follows:

RN Sea King Mark 6
Total Number in Service: 44

EW Systems: AAR-57 (currently being fitted to 40 platforms); ALQ-157 (Fitted to 32 platforms in 2000-1); Sky Guardian 2000 (fitted to 32 platforms in 2000-1) (but all these could have been fitted to the RAF or the RN ASaC Mk 7 varients?- any ideas?)
Comms: Unknown
Datalink: IDS-2000 (L11)
Radar: Super Searcher
IFF: Unknown
Electro-Optic Element: Unknown / none

RN Sea King ASaC Mk 7

Total Number in Service: 13

EW Systems: Unknown
Comms: HaveQuick II (but which type?)
Datalink: Unknown type (L16)
Radar: Search Water
IFF: APX-113(V) CIT
Electro-Optic Element: Unknown/ None?

RAF Sea King HAR3/3A
Total Number in Service: 21 (16 in SAR role)

EW Systems: Unknown
Comms: Unknown
Datalink: None
Radar: ARI5955 or Telephonics RDR-1500B
IFF: Transponder only (unknown)
Electro-Optic Element: SKMSS (fitted to 16 platforms in 2003-4)

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

Seems alot of Mk6's in use, only thought 771 sqdn & few 'jungly' moded ones were flying? Don't forget the MK4's & the various test versions!
Dave

Member for

18 years 8 months

How long will the Sea Kings stay in service for aswel as the SAR one's ? And is it Cheap to run Sea Kings?

James

Member for

18 years 6 months

I believe the SAR ones are going to be in service till 2017.
Then there is an upgrade planned to keep the support platforms till 2022.
But what, out of interest, will replace the SAR sea King varients?

Member for

16 years 7 months

I thought The SAR force and its Seakings were due to wind up in 2013, to be replaced by a civilian agency and types.
Hence the apparently obsurd situation of relocating 203 Sqn (and sim) from Mawgan to Valley for just a few years.

And no....Seakings are not cheap to run. Maintenance is expensive and getting harder aswel.

Member for

18 years 6 months

I thought The SAR force and its Seakings were due to wind up in 2013, to be replaced by a civilian agency and types.
Hence the apparently obsurd situation of relocating 203 Sqn (and sim) from Mawgan to Valley for just a few years.

And no....Seakings are not cheap to run. Maintenance is expensive and getting harder aswel.

Of course, I forgot about that.