Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 11 months

Link : http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=534149

Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

FACTS ABOUT fighters

Norway to buy up to 48 combat aircraft to replace the current F-16 fleet.
Thursday manufacturers have competed for the contract: Swedish JAS Gripen and U.S. F-35 Lightning II (JSF) produced by Lockheed Martin.
The government is committed to select the F-35.
The price for the purchase will be 18 billion (nkr).
According to the government's F-35 clearly cheaper, both in procurement and in terms of costs over the expected life of 30 years.
According to the government was the only F-35 that meet all the operational and technical requirements that the government has set.
Norway is a paying partner in the development of the F-35 (JSF).

Member for

18 years 11 months

Does anybody have any information about what LM has included in the price?

I must say that I am very impressed if Lockheed can sell 48 JSF fighters, including engine, spares and service at a price 25 % cheaper than Saab offers Gripen NG. Frankly, it seems too good to be true...

Regards,
Cliff

Member for

17 years 11 months

VG have read internal documents that indicate a price of around 21 billion dollars for 48 aircraft of the type F-35A.

That is, around 373 million per aircraft. In addition, expenses for a global logistics and training system. According to the Department of Defense Pentagon will cost over a 25 year period amount to approximately 756 million per aircraft, or a total of 36 billion.

This amount does not include weapons and consumption of, for example, fuel and oil

Member for

19 years 4 months

wow, thats bad news for Sweden..leaves the Brazilian, Indian, Danish and Swiss tenders..any news from Romania and Croatia about what they're planning to do to replace their fighters?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Here also
http://www.aftenposten.no/

Cheaper? Weeeell, I don't think so. Anyways, a strategic decision for serious anti-ship and offensive capability, versus a more defensive Gripen NG. Might not solve the fighter problem, though.

Member for

18 years 10 months

VG have read internal documents that indicate a price of around 21 billion dollars for 48 aircraft of the type F-35A.

That is, around 373 million per aircraft. In addition, expenses for a global logistics and training system. According to the Department of Defense Pentagon will cost over a 25 year period amount to approximately 756 million per aircraft, or a total of 36 billion.

Kroner, not dollars.
VG har lest interne dokumenter som tilsier en pris på rundt 21 milliarder kroner for 48 fly av typen F-35A.

Divide by 7.1865 (todays exchange rate), & you get USD 61 million per aircraft.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Sorry, was using a online translator on the text. It translated "kroner" to "dollar", as it seems.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Sorry, was using a online translator on the text. It translated "kroner" to "dollar", as it seems.

:D How idiosyncratic of it.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Here also
http://www.aftenposten.no/

Cheaper? Weeeell, I don't think so. Anyways, a strategic decision for serious anti-ship and offensive capability, versus a more defensive Gripen NG. Might not solve the fighter problem, though.

There´s a very nice pdf with the evaluation here: http://www.regjeringen.no/upload/FD/Temadokumenter/Fremtidig-kampflykapasitet_anbefaling_311008.pdf

What caught my atention was the cost estimates (page 39 onwards). It´s now official, Lock Mart his offering the F-35A for (roughly) the same acquisition and logistics costs of a Block50+ Viper!
Those numbers are "optimistic" to say the least!!
Now, i just hope that the Norwegian MOD demands a fixed cost contract before signing anything, wich after the "we just need to sign in 2014" comment his far from guaranteed.

Why do i have the feeling that there´s going to be a lot of heart attacks in several MOD´s when the actual bill his delivered around 2013?

Member for

16 years 8 months

BIG mistake. Sad.

LM and the US government are well on the way to taking the military aviation industry away from the rest of the Western world for ever.

Cheaper? ! ! ! I don't think the cost can be measured.

Norway are in disgrace.

Member for

16 years 3 months

BIG mistake. Sad.

LM and the US government are well on the way to taking the military aviation industry away from the rest of the Western world for ever.

Norway are in disgrace.

How so?

Member for

18 years 11 months

I think you'll find that the price for F-35 included the offset created by Norway's share of manufacturing work... their parts will be on all 1,000+ (more like 2,000+ in reality) F-35s sold to anyone... that's a lot of return to lower what is being paid out.

Additionally, this is part of an actual spreading out of aircraft design & build capability across the Western world, caused by the "multi-national production" aspects of both the F-16 and F-35 programs.

It is due to this that a number of nations have any military-aircraft-related industry at all!

Member for

24 years 3 months

BIG mistake. Sad.

Norway are in disgrace.

How so?

Don't worry. The average age of the American aerospace worker is 55. In another 10 years, there will not be enough experience left to design or build airplanes.

BIG mistake. Sad.

Norway are in disgrace.

You think it would be in the interest of Norway to pay more and get less.........PLEASE!:p

Member for

15 years 9 months

If there is any mistake, it should be European countries' (except Russia) giving up for developing 5th Gen stealth fighter. While most airforces in the world today believe that the real stealthy capability as a necessity for their future fighters after 2015, the European fighter manufacturers (except Russian) just can't provide such a product with enough maturity.

So, the history of F-16's overwhelming victory over F-1E and JA37 in the international market is happening once again.

Member for

18 years 11 months

If there is any mistake, it should be European countries' (except Russia) giving up for developing 5th Gen stealth fighter. ...
So, the history of F-16's overwhelming victory over F-1E and JA37 in the international market is happening once again.

My main problem with your comment is that you are suggesting that these tenders are all about technical merits. They aren't. European countries are mostly loosing out because their governments can't apply the same political pressure as US or Russia can. In many tenders you go for either an american solution (read Poland) or an european solution (read Austria). Clearly, there is a strong bias towards US - to maintain strong relations with them. Adding more stealth functions to the Rafale won't changes this a bit...

Member for

24 years 3 months

If there is any mistake, it should be European countries' (except Russia) giving up for developing 5th Gen stealth fighter. While most airforces in the world today believe that the real stealthy capability as a necessity for their future fighters after 2015, the European fighter manufacturers (except Russian) just can't provide such a product with enough maturity.

Hmmmm, I think the JSF is the last big manned strike aircraft project, most first world nations are working on stealthy UAV's that will do the first day of war jobs.

6th gen UAV's are here sooner than you think.

Member for

19 years

In other news the sun rose in the East this morning.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hmmmm, I think the JSF is the last big manned strike aircraft project, most first world nations are working on stealthy UAV's that will do the first day of war jobs.

6th gen UAV's are here sooner than you think.

How many of the UAV's are capable of full spectrum aerial warfare?:rolleyes: