USMC V-22 Osprey Finds Groove In Afghanistan

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 7 months

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/awst/2010/01/11/AW_01_11_2010_p44-193636.xml&headline=USMC%20V-22%20Osprey%20Finds%20Groove%20In%20Afghanistan

Some key points.

The V-22 Osprey’s range and speed, the twin talents of the aircraft most heavily promoted by the U.S. Marine Corps, are revealing themselves in Afghanistan, as readiness and reliability numbers begin to climb steadily throughout the fleet.

Lt. Gen. George Trautman, deputy commandant for aviation, says the level of hostile action experienced by the V-22s in Afghanistan is slightly higher than in Iraq. He calls Afghanistan “a different fight. There’s more kinetic work to be done.” Yet he takes exception to those who criticized the aircraft’s performance in Iraq. “Uninformed critics said we babied the aircraft [there],” he says, noting that the V-22 primarily ferried passengers and cargo, the primary mission of assault-support aircraft. “Because peace broke out, it didn’t do much in the way of [flying] into the heart of enemy assaults.”

...during major operations in Now Zad, in the Helmand Province, Marine Corps’ Ospreys arrived from different directions at 3 a.m. “with speed and range the enemy didn’t expect,” Trautman says. “The Osprey was the most important participant in getting a reinforced company into that town in short order.” More important, the Osprey flew “two loads in the time it took the CH-53 to do one.”

The aircraft has also been beefed up recently with an all-quadrant gun, which rolls on and off. There are five guns in theater for 10 V-22s, and Trautman anticipates more in the future.

The Osprey’s readiness rate has hovered at about 62% for months, but operations in Afghanistan have seen that number rising steadily, according to Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Conway, who cites numbers in the 70-80% range. “It’s on that trajectory” to 90%, he claimed enthusiastically at the Pentagon last month.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

90% readiness is an extremely difficult target because the spare parts supply system stretches halfway around the world and traditionally accounts for 5-7% of downtime by itself. Whoever gave the Commandant the 90% number needs to be slapped silly.

Member for

14 years 2 months

I've seen the Osprey in person..a very impressive aircraft ! the cabin was the sparsest that I've seen though. they didn't even have interior panels covering wiring and the frames, etc..I guess that was to keep weight down.

Member for

18 years 10 months

He didn't say it was at 90%, just that it was heading there. 90% readiness is the goal, despite it being difficult to reach.

Member for

16 years 1 month

'The aircraft has also been beefed up recently with an all-quadrant gun, which rolls on and off'

Whats this?

Can anyone explain?

Member for

16 years 1 month

Thanks spudmanWP, i had read about that being in development a while back, had no idea it was already in service, excellent capability for the osprey