JASDF GCS-1 & AMI Opher Bombs - How?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've often wondered how weapons like this are used, and it dawned on me that maybe they are similar to something like a TV or IR-guided Maverick.

Is that the case?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the case of those types of Mavericks the pilot or WSO just puts the crosshairs on the target, looks on, and away goes the weapon with no further guidance from the launching aircraft.

How would, say an AMX drop an Opher IR-guided bomb? (Are GCS-1 and Opher bombs both IR-guided and thus used in the same manner?)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've often wondered how weapons like this are used, and it dawned on me that maybe they are similar to something like a TV or IR-guided Maverick.

Is that the case?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the case of those types of Mavericks the pilot or WSO just puts the crosshairs on the target, looks on, and away goes the weapon with no further guidance from the launching aircraft.

How would, say an AMX drop an Opher IR-guided bomb? (Are GCS-1 and Opher bombs both IR-guided and thus used in the same manner?)

What you wrote makes sense. But the airplane's computer would also have to compute and display a launch acceptability region based on weapon ballistics, and airplane speed/altitude/attitude. I don't know if those weapons can be programmed for azimuth and elevation like some US PGMs.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Anyone have any additional information?

djcross....how is azimuth and elevation put in for a weapon and what does that do for it?

I wonder if the ACOL upgrade for the AMI's AMX fleet makes any changes in how these weapons are deployed given that they were used prior to that update.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Anyone have any additional information?

djcross....how is azimuth and elevation put in for a weapon and what does that do for it?

I wonder if the ACOL upgrade for the AMI's AMX fleet makes any changes in how these weapons are deployed given that they were used prior to that update.

Precision Guided Munition Planning System (PGMPS) is a component of Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS). It maximizes weapon kill effects on target by optimizing both the strike package's route and weapon flight path in four dimensions (includes time). For example, if a saturation attack is needed in order to overwhelm target defenses, PGMPS assures the weapons (possibly launched by several different aircraft) all arrive at the target at same time.

PGMPS is especially useful if you need to hit a particular room on the 6th floor of a 14 story building as the weapons does the maneuvering instead of the launching airplane. Certain munitions require a terminal approach from specific elevations to maximize effectiveness. GBU-31(V)3/B with the BLU-109 penetrator warhead fits into this category as it needs a near vertical plunge at high speed to penetrate deeply. While AGM-154A or B requires a shallow approach to maximize the coverage of their submunitions.