Missile defense test fails

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years

embarrassing...

Washington (CNN) -- A U.S. missile defense test failed Sunday when a long-range missile missed its target because of radar problems.

The Defense Department said a target missile was launched from an Army test site at Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands at 7:40 p.m.

Six minutes later, a second missile was launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, to find the first one and destroy it.

Both missiles flew successfully, but missed each other because of a problem in the sea-based X-band radar, the department's Missile Defense Agency said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/01/missile.defense.test/?hpt=T2
Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

That's what tests are for.

Member for

17 years 8 months

Apparently the radio beacon in the warhead bus failed to transmit. Hard to shoot the fish in a barrel when you can't find the water in the barrel.

Member for

18 years 11 months

150 million dollars in the water. Not bad, after all these tons of (otherwise justified) mocking for the Bulava's failures.

Except it wasn't the missile that failed but the radar. ;)

Member for

16 years 7 months

Except it wasn't the missile that failed but the radar. ;)

“I did not say it was the SBX radar… I'm not exonerating the SBX, but I am not saying it was solely an SBX problem. Speculation is something I shouldn't be doing here. Let's find out what the data says. Let the Failure Review Board analyze it.”

Executive Director, Missile Defense Agency David Altwegg

1 February

Member for

18 years 11 months

“I did not say it was the SBX radar… I'm not exonerating the SBX, but I am not saying it was solely an SBX problem. Speculation is something I shouldn't be doing here. Let's find out what the data says. Let the Failure Review Board analyze it.”

Executive Director, Missile Defense Agency David Altwegg

1 February

I take it that information is newer than this,

""Both the target missile and ground-based interceptor performed nominally after launch. However, the sea-based X-band radar did not perform as expected," the agency said."

:confused:

Member for

16 years 7 months

I take it that information is newer than this

Sorry, I should have made it clear – Altwegg was speaking late in the afternoon of 1 February, so his statement should be more up-to-date than the press release issues just after the test that you had quoted.