Flight time, speed & range of air-launched missiles

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

Some time in the last six months there was an on-line discussion (which I think was on this forum) regarding the flight times, speeds and ranges of air-launched missiles. Someone responded with a useful posting giving data derived from a missile-launch modelling programme he'd written and indicated that the some of the performance data for Russian missiles that the software used had been derived from Russian sources.

I think that the thread was discussing the potential performance of a specific surface-launched missile in the air-to-air role.

I have tried using the forum 'search' command to locate this discussion, but have had no luck.

Can anyone recall when it was and what the thread was called?

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

No, sorry. Some time ago I looked into the operational range differences between a high/fast and low/slow launch of missiles like AAM, the effects on range of using the AMRAAM as a SAM, and the range of an airborne THAAD, and I think I came up with a factor of 5 to 6 each time. But motor characteristics play a big role. No hard data, sorry.

Member for

16 years 5 months

It turns out that my memory is at fault. The information I was looking for had not been posted on this forum.