World Missiles News

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

Japan, Britain To Launch Joint Missile Research

Japan said Thursday it would join forces with Britain to jointly develop missile technology for fighter jets, while also moving to export Japanese-made parts for US surface-to-air missiles.

The joint research with Britain was linked to a European missile project called Meteor, with an initial emphasis on how current Japanese technology could enhance British-developed missiles, according to a statement jointly issued by several ministries, including Japan’s foreign and defense ministries.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140717/DEFREG03/307170036?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Seems Japan is interested in the Meteor. F-35 integration could be funded by them.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Presumably the "initial emphasis on how current Japanese technology could enhance British-developed missiles" relates to Japanese AESA missile seeker technology.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Would be interesting to hear details of this. Would the UK meteors then be different form the other operators or would this technology find its way into the next version of the baseline meteor. I also think that getting Japanese technology in the missile, especially pertaining to the seeker is going to be the first step in adapting the missile for the Japanese F-35's. Raytheon should be worried :)

Member for

17 years 7 months

I never understand the need for Marte when the Penguin did the job and didn't look like a phallic toy.

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_F-16_Norway_Penguin-MkIII_AIM-9Ms_lg.jpg

Penguin looks much more serious.

Member for

10 years 2 months

I never understand the need for Marte when the Penguin did the job and didn't look like a phallic toy.

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_F-16_Norway_Penguin-MkIII_AIM-9Ms_lg.jpg

Penguin looks much more serious.

I will take the Marte ER. At almost twice the range of the Pengiun I know what would keep me safer at launch phase.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Presumably the "initial emphasis on how current Japanese technology could enhance British-developed missiles" relates to Japanese AESA missile seeker technology.

Bingo!

Officials at the Japanese Ministry of Defence (MoD) and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) told IHS Jane's on 18 July that Mitsubishi Electric and European missile house MBDA will conduct a joint project to research whether Mitsubishi Electric's missile seeker technology could enhance the accuracy of MBDA's Meteor beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) for use on the F-35.

See Black Archer's post 46.

Member for

17 years 7 months

I will take the Marte ER. At almost twice the range of the Pengiun I know what would keep me safer at launch phase.

Well in that case the ER is outclassed by the others in its projected weight class. The Marte ER doesn't fix the shortcomings of the original.

Member for

18 years 9 months

The Marte ER doesn't fix the shortcomings of the original.

The range is more than twice that of the upgraded longer-range Penguin Mk 3, three times that of the original Penguin, & four times that of the original Marte. It's smaller & lighter than the NSM.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Australia pushes for Harpoon integration on P-8A

Not sure what this means..there were many images of the Harpoons on P-8Is during flight tests..not sure if those were simply carriage trials and if integration wasn't completed as yet.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Australia pushes for Harpoon integration on P-8A

Not sure what this means..there were many images of the Harpoons on P-8Is during flight tests..not sure if those were simply carriage trials and if integration wasn't completed as yet.

Do Indian Harpoons have the target recognition and re-attack capabilities of the Block 1G?