Best SLBMS, ICBMS

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

If you had to destroy 8 to 10 strategic targets with nuclear warheads, which missile would you use?
SS-18 mod 5; LGM-118 or UGM-133 ?

Original post

Member for

20 years

Its not something I think about very often, what would you use and why?

Member for

24 years 2 months

If they're close enough I'm not using any of those. One word: FOBS :D

Member for

19 years 11 months

Trident II from a sub. From land, the SS-18 Mod 5 with 10 x 750kt MIRVs at a CEP of approx. 500m.

Actually mobile ICBMs are more survivable, so I would go for TOPOL-M.

But really any missile you mentioned would do the job

Member for

20 years 9 months

If you had to destroy 8 to 10 strategic targets with nuclear warheads, which missile would you use?

After I caried out this mission, I wonder if the next question should be "How do I commit suicide?"

Gun to side of head? Gun barrel in mouth? Cyanide? Slash wrists lenghthways? Walk into the wilderness hoping to be nuked in return?

Member for

20 years

Anyone read ARC LIGHT by Eric L. Harry?

Excellent novel about WW3, contained in the pages is a map showing the results of a Russian nuclear attack on the USA here are a few examples

Cheyenne Mtn (NORAD HQ) attacked by 8 warheads surface burst
288,000 killed, 25,000 wounded, 188,000 casualities from 60 day radiation fallout.

New London naval base (Trident subs) 10 warheads air burst
22,000 killed, 79,000 wounded.

Grand Forks airforce base (Minutemen ICBM/B-1) 221 surface, 13 air burst
25,000 killed, 48,000 wounded, 313,000 60 day radiation.

Basically its a long list with a lot of targets, lots and lots of warheads and frightening numbers of casualities.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Great story ARC LIGHT. I enjoyed it emensely.

Member for

24 years 2 months

AL was better than some of the other WW3 novels out there, though there's always annoying errors that drive me crazy.

AL was better than some of the other WW3 novels out there, though there's always annoying errors that drive me crazy.

Probably the one that amused me most was one I read that suggested that to sink a Soviet naval fleet including a Kiev carrier that a British fleet would use fairy swordfish... the idea being that the Soviet radar and defence systems likes SAMs would not be able to cope with a low slow erratic target... apparantly Soviet ships were vulnerable to helos???

Member for

19 years 6 months

Topol M is the best ICBM

The Topol-M is a 3-stage solid-fuel missile with a length of 17.9m (not including the 3.3m forward section which contains the payload), a diameter of 1.86m, and launch weight of 47.2 metric tons.[27] Like the majority of Soviet missiles, it was designed to be deployed and maintained in a launch canister.[28] Both the silo-based and mobile variants have been designed for cold launch. It has a maximum range in excess of 10,000km.[29]

The Topol-M is reputed to have the highest accuracy of any Russian ICBM. One source indicates that its "maximum deviation" ("predelnoye otkloneniye"), defined as the radius in which over 99% of all warheads will impact and estimated to be 2.3 times larger than the missile's Circular Error Probable, is less than 500 meters,[16] although other sources give a "maximum deviation" value of 800m.[30] The missile's accuracy is ensured by an autonomous inertial guidance system,[17] and there are reports that it may be aided by a satellite navigation system. The missile is capable of rapid (2 minutes) launch preparation. One of the service life-extending characteristics of this missile is that its guidance gyroscopes do not need to be switched on until immediately after the launch.[31] The Topol-M carries a single warhead developed by the All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Experimental Physics (VNIIEF) in Sarov (formerly Arzamas-16). Its yield is unknown, although it is believed that it is close to 1 MT.[32]

Although a single-warhead missile, the Topol-M has comparatively large throw-weight of 1.2 metric tons,[33] which has led to speculation that the missile could be MIRVed in the future with three or even six warheads.[34] Such a possibility was mentioned by the SRF commander, General Vladimir Yakovlev,[35] and the missile's chief designer, Lev Solomonov, has confirmed that the Topol-M has the design potential for uploading, although such step would require some modifications.[3] It is not yet clear whether Russia will pursue that option. Since the missile was designed from the start in a single-warhead configuration, MIRVing the Topol-M would involve some re-design work and could not be accomplished as quickly as uploading older US or Russian missiles, which were designed as multi-warhead weapons from the outset. However, Russia might seek the right to MIRV its Topol-Ms under START III, arguing that placing three warheads per missile would not undermine the strategic balance, particularly when concerning mobile missiles filling the same niche as SLBMs.[30]

The large throw-weight could also be explained by greater warhead weight, precision-guidance capability, or defense penetration aids. The missile's design is believed to incorporate many features improving its ABM defense penetration ability, and to possess built-in potential for further upgrades in this area.[44] According to some estimates, it carries more decoys and penetration aids than the 10-warhead Peacekeeper (MX) missile and is equipped with a hardened warhead invulnerable to all but direct hits by ABM interceptors. The warhead may also have independent maneuvering and precision-guidance capability. The seventh Topol-M test launch, conducted on 3 June 1999, featured a "lateral antimissile maneuver", with the warhead reportedly being guided to its destination by a Glonass-based "Terminator" satellite navigation system.[31] Finally, thanks to its powerful first-stage boosters, the Topol-M has a short-duration boost phase (shorter by a factor of 4.5 than boost phases of older ICBMs such as the SS-18, which has a five-minute boost phase), which reduces its vulnerability to boost-phase intercept weapons. The missile's greater acceleration also allows it to assume a flatter trajectory, further reducing vulnerability to space-based weapons. The Topol-M also features a high degree of survivability against attack while on the ground. The silo-based version has been reported to be able to withstand a direct nuclear warhead hit on its silo, and the missile itself is hardened against EMP.[37]

The mobile-based Topol-M differs from the silo-based model mainly in modifications to the first stage.[38] It is launched from a special launcher designed at the Titan Central Design Bureau in Volgograd that is mounted on the MZKT-79921 16-wheeled transporter-erector-launcher (TEL) designed and manufactured at the Minsk Wheeled Prime Mover Plant in Belarus.[39] The new TEL weighs 40 metric tons when empty, is capable of carrying a payload of 80 metric tons, and its 600 kWt diesel engine gives it a top road speed of 70 km/h.[40] The MZKT-79921 will be equipped with an improved navigation system, allowing it to launch missiles accurately from any level paved or unpaved spot within the missile division's deployment area, an improvement over the older mobile Topol, which could only be launched from a limited number of pre-surveyed paved locations.[41] The TEL's design reportedly incorporates design features intended to reduce its vulnerability to detection by a wide range of space- and air-based sensors.[42]

The Topol-M has a guaranteed service life of 15-20 years. As is the case with older Russian ICBMs, it can probably be extended by modernization programs.[43]

Sources:

Regarding the problems with MIRV warheads that was solved with the dissolution of the ABM treaty. Without the ABM treaty of course SALT and START treaties become impossible. How can you agree to limit the numbers of weapons you have if the other guy has a protection system as well?
The ABM treaty didn't ban ABM systems it limited and controlled them. Without those controls then anyone can try for a full protection system any time they want. If you have just agreed to limit the number of rounds in your pistol magazine and the other guy pulls out a kevlar vest and helmet you get a rifle or a vest of your own... you certainly ignore any previous agreement about limiting the number of rounds in your pistol to 10.

Last I read Putin was keeping some SS-18s and SS-19s in service to keep numbers of warheads up to agreed levels despite the fact that the SS-18 is a very heavy throwweight missile that is banned by START-II (Which the Russians signed but the US has not... it is not binding till both parties had signed and now with the withdrawl from the ABM treaty it will never be binding, though I think the Russians will not exceed the missile warhead limits... unless the NMD system proves capable).

Member for

19 years 9 months

I am not sure but i believe the SS-24 and SS-25 are slightly more precise than the SS-27.
Anyway I believe that the MX was (is still) the ultimate BM . It's as good as the Trident D5 is terms of CEP (300 ft) but has a larger footprint (Its MIRVS can reach targets that are very far away from one another) however the Trident will be upgraded with the Enhanced Effectiveness (E2) Reentry Body which will “bring GPS-like accuracy to a strategic weapon that can be launched and delivered to a target quickly after a decision to strike,” according to a navy admiral. This “expands the potential targets that are threatened by Trident,” and the expected improvement in accuracy means that nuclear as well as conventional warhead options are being considered. The nuclear options are examined in the navy’s SLBM Warhead Protection Program, which maintains the capability to develop replacement nuclear warheads for the Mk-5/W88 and the Mk-4/W76.

http://westweb.external.lmco.com/SSC/news/2003/jun0303.shtml

..looks like MARV to me

The Midgetman SICBM would also have been quite something in terms of precision

Member for

19 years 6 months

Russia test a new warhead, which is, according to numerous official and unofficial reports, capable of penetrating any missile defense system that could conceivably be developed in the next several decades. According to newspaper reports, the new warhead is equipped with hypersonic engines that allow the warhead to reach speeds of 6 Mach and change its trajectory to evade interceptors. The diagram showing the trajectory of the Topol warhead can be seen above.[28] It is difficult to intercept any target that deviates from a predictable ballistic trajectory, and the interceptor should be much faster than the target. A combination of very complicated trajectory and high speed makes the new warhead very difficult to intercept. Some sources reported that the new Topol warhead was based on a new hypersonic cruise missile X-90 (AS-19 Koala), which eventually is supposed to replace the old Soviet X-55 ALCM.

According to newspaper reports, the new warhead is equipped with hypersonic engines that allow the warhead to reach speeds of 6 Mach and change its trajectory to evade interceptors.

Mach 6 isn't that fast compared to how fast most ICBM reentry vehicles reenter at. At Mach 6 a conventional ramjet propulsion system would suffice, but scramjet engines would make it rather more interesting.

Member for

19 years 11 months

A warhead with hypersonic engines? Warheads are not that big physically. It would be a marvel if they have managed to fix inlets on a warhead capable of ramjet, or better but unlikely, scramjet propulsion.

A warhead with hypersonic engines? Warheads are not that big physically. It would be a marvel if they have managed to fix inlets on a warhead capable of ramjet, or better but unlikely, scramjet propulsion.

The weapon they are talking about has room for at least three warheads plus decoys and is fitted with one warhead. There would be plenty of room for an ablative outer shell with a nose mounted intake and exhaust plus fuel and small control surfaces or control vanes in the exhaust to manouver. One other option mentioned was to add the 100kg Keldesh device to the warheads to make them stealthy in space... one would assume these would burn up on reentry but that is only for 3-4 seconds anyway.

Member for

19 years 11 months

The weapon they are talking about has room for at least three warheads plus decoys and is fitted with one warhead.

Are you talking about the warhead bus Garry? If so, then there would be enough room I guess.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Jane's article about R-39M

Jane's has an article about the cancelled R-39M, SS-N-28 SLBM.if someone has the whole article and could maybe post it?