Blue Streak question

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

I know Blue Streak never made it into service, but I an Inlaw of mine claims to have been on the transportation crew. I havent seen him personally to ask, so the claim is second hand, But does anyone know what sort of movements the missile would have made and would it have been moved regularly.

Original post

Member for

20 years 4 months

Yes, why not. It was assembled at de Havilland north of London and definitly tested up near Carlisle (thought not flown). Flight tests took place in Woomera. Mid-1960's till 1970.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Cheers ;)

Member for

16 years 4 months

The tank section (most of the length of the vehicle) was delivered to Stevenage from Hatfield already mounted in its handling frame.

Once all its systems and the propulsion bay was added, the vehicle (still in its handling frame) was taken by road to the Spadeadam Rocket Establishment, where it was checked out in the preparation area, then moved to Pad 3A and lifted into the vertical position. The handling frame was then removed, and over a period of weeks the vehicle was prepared for static firing. After the static firing, the handling frame was then reinstalled, the vehicle was lowered, then returned by road to Stevenage.

So that was the general pattern of events. The vehicle was always in its handling frame except when it was mounted on the launcher.

After any refurbishment work at Stevenage, it was then delivered by road, sea and road to Woomera, were it went from the preparation area to Pad 6A, where it was raised to the vertical and the handling frame removed. After a checkout period of several weeks, it was finally launched.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Great info, thanks chaps, hopefully ill be havin a chat with him soon :)