Russian Navy Thread 2.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 8 months

http://flotprom.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=146980

Nakhimov will be fitted with Kalibr and Poliment-Redut system as most assumed. I guess it means that Kirov's 21st Century Mod will possess a massive land-attack capability. It seems to be a clear priority for the Russian navy to have a option for the western type of shock attack with mass use of cruise missiles. All new ship classes from the small Project 21631 corvettes to the next destroyers will carry them and also pretty much all attack submarines from the Project 945 to the Project 971 will be refitted with them.

Member for

10 years 10 months

LHA + land-attack cruiser .... go figure.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Hello all! I am looking for pics of any plain operated from Russian carrier at night. Please share or let me know that doesn't exist, so I'll stop looking :)

There are a few videos on youtube of nighttime operations.

Member for

13 years 5 months

Well, looks like Baltisky finished the Mistral stern within the contract timeline.
Also I am fairly pleased with the extent of the work completed in RUssia:

http://i.imgur.com/ilDdL4t.jpg

Member for

10 years 10 months

appropriate coloring :applause:

Member for

13 years 5 months

Well, looks like Baltisky finished the Mistral stern within the contract timeline.
Also I am fairly pleased with the extent of the work completed in RUssia:

Is there any word on how the technology transfer side of things is coming?

Member for

17 years 10 months

There are a few videos on youtube of nighttime operations.

All I saw were clips from games...

Member for

11 years 7 months

Video of the Vladivostok stern being floated out:
http://en.rian.ru/video/20130627/181905873/Russian-Shipyard-Completes-Stern-for-First-Mistral-Warship.html

So now that it's been completed, they are planning to begin towing the stern to Saint Nazaire, France on July 8th with the date of arrival expected around July 25th. There, the bow and island are nearing completion now as well.

By October 15th the joining of the stern and bow is supposed to be complete and once that's done, it'll head back to Russia for finishing up (weapons et cetera). According to deputy DM Borisov, this will happen before year's end.

Entry into VMF service expected by 2014.

The construction of the second ship, the Sevastopol, is supposed to begin within a month from now.

Kamov said last year that the first serial machines of the Ka-52K "Katran" (?) would commence production in 2013 and that they would be ready to supply the full complement of naval attack helicopters as Vladivostok enters service.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Even more surprising is the lack of catapults and TWO rear launch positions that infringe on the landing strip.

The CVF style twin island approach is also notable, as well as what appears to be a very large beam. Looks like a CVF + kuznetsov had a kid. Interesting concept

Now that I'm posting here, what is the latest on the gorshkov class frigates (number in service/trial/launched? A Internet search yields little and unfortunately my Russian is nonexistent). Much appreciated

Even more surprising is the lack of catapults and TWO rear launch positions that infringe on the landing strip.

The CVF style twin island approach is also notable, as well as what appears to be a very large beam. Looks like a CVF + kuznetsov had a kid. Interesting concept

It's a weird design for sure, not helped by distortion from the vitrine's glass. If there are no catapults, for example, do they expect aircraft to launch from the two port positions entirely unassisted, without the benefit of even a ski jump? My guess is that the model is not necessarily representative of a serious design, rather than signifying that new carriers are actively being pursued.

Now that I'm posting here, what is the latest on the gorshkov class frigates (number in service/trial/launched? A Internet search yields little and unfortunately my Russian is nonexistent). Much appreciated

First one still fitting out.

Member for

13 years 5 months

It is just a model. Guarantee you the project will change within next several years.

Member for

11 years 7 months

They have "resurrected" the Ulyanovsk/Orel projects a few times this way, with various small-ish changes from the original sketches each time. This one with double islands just seems to be yet another take on the Russian supercarrier.

No catapults from the start, provisions made under the deck for future EM catapults in pos. 4 and 5. Or so I've heard...

Member for

24 years 2 months

They have "resurrected" the Ulyanovsk/Orel projects a few times this way, with various small-ish changes from the original sketches each time. This one with double islands just seems to be yet another take on the Russian supercarrier.

Interesting...wonder if now might be a good time for BAE to start talking to Sukhoi about a joint STOL support type based on the Su-80GP airframe!.

Member for

13 years 5 months

http://s019.radikal.ru/i627/1307/49/352373bd39ed.jpg

Nice pic, Chinese ships in Vladivostock for large-scale naval exercise.

Member for

13 years 5 months

No catapults from the start, provisions made under the deck for future EM catapults in pos. 4 and 5. Or so I've heard...

This seems a reasonable solution to the steam vs. EM catapult conundrum looming for developing carrier nations.

Member for

11 years 7 months

This seems a reasonable solution to the steam vs. EM catapult conundrum looming for developing carrier nations.

Indeed. But as a matter of fact it is now said that it will pack cats from the start and the total number of EM catapults projected for this ship is now said to be 4, laid out in a Nimitz-y fashion.

Of course the curvature of the main ramp would prevent them from running the whole length there (it is possible to have them curved I guess, but that'd probably mean ridiculous stresses/friction on the rails). In line with logic however, they apparently terminate before the ramp starts rising. This according to some people who were at the naval fair and read the little pamphlets and looked at the model closely.

Pretty interesting concept if true IMO, I wonder what implications this has for the MTOW for say a MiG-29K/KUB or T-50K.

Likely just a proposal as I've heard of nothing in regards to funding for either a New Aircraft Carrier or a Naval PAK-FA. Just the usual talk............Regardless, I have a hard time believing Russia will build a 80,000 Carrier without Catapults.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Recent pic of Frigates Admiral Grigorovich and Admiral Essen.

Attachments