EFV (formerly AAAV)

Read the forum code of contact

I wonder is the USMC upcoming Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV) will have much export success? It seems like its going to be a revolutionary vehicle! It will carry 17-18 troops at high speed over both land and water. In Europe for example many Western Countries have invested heavily in Amphibious Assault Ships. :D

Original post

Member for

20 years

EFV is a very nice piece of equipment, but its pretty expensive, so I doubt if many will be exported in worthwhile numbers (USMC wants 1000+).
It would be nice if the Europeans made a joint purchase, the UK, Netherlands and Spain for example. I would like to see the Royal Marines get a few with cannon, missiles and mortars. It would be an improvement over a rigid raider!

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

The EFV is not self-deployable over water. They have to be carried to the operational area by a LHA, LPD, LSD, etc type mothership. Also, since these amphib APC/IFV, the troops that will inhabit those APCs will need a mothership for lodgings.

Not a whole of navies have the vast array of large amphibious assault ships the USN is privy to.

The US Marines and the equipment and logistics they command are, in and of themselves, probably in the top 5 fighting forces in the world. That's not even taking the rest of the USN, USAF, and USArmy in account.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Is that a typo? 2600 hp?

The EFV is not self-deployable over water. They have to be carried to the operational area by a LHA, LPD, LSD, etc type mothership. Also, since these amphib APC/IFV, the troops that will inhabit those APCs will need a mothership for lodgings.

Not a whole of navies have the vast array of large amphibious assault ships the USN is privy to.

The US Marines and the equipment and logistics they command are, in and of themselves, probably in the top 5 fighting forces in the world. That's not even taking the rest of the USN, USAF, and USArmy in account.

Well, Spain, Italy, France, UK, and the Dutch all have brand new LPD/LSD and Naval Marines. So, the mother ship is no more of a problem than there USMC counterparts.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I know Australia is interested in this vechiule, they would help fill a gap in our fighting forces when we get the new LHD's

Sorry, Ja I didn't mean to excluded RAN. (Which, I have great respect for!) More to the point that with many new Amphibious Assault Ships entering service around the world. That the EFV would be the ideal platform to launch amphibious landings and support land forces. Most current AFV/APC are either to slow or not amphibious! The main problem for the USMC is its current AFV is to slow to keep up with the Main Battle Tanks! (i.e.Abrams)