ROYAL NAVY "MATSU" - LEE ON SOLENT - ANY INFO. PLEASE

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user R J A Taylor

Member for

22 years 4 months

CAN ANYONE PLEASE SUPPLY ME WITH ANY INFORMATION ON THIS ROYAL NAVY UNIT (WHICH WAS APPARENTLY BASED AT LEE ON SOLENT IN 1969). :confused:

IF YOU CAN, WILL YOU PLEASE REFER TO MY OTHER 'CURRENT' THREAD

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=40037

AND RESPOND THERE TO MY REQUEST FOR HELP IN CONTACTING FORMER MEMBERS OF THAT UNIT.

ANY HELP WILL BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED, AS I'VE NOT GOT A GREAT DEAL OF TIME TO TRY TO TRACE THESE EX - RN RATINGS AND I'D REALLY LOVE TO INVITE THEM TO OUR PLANNED REUNION.

Yours Hopefully ;)

Richard Taylor

Original post
Profile picture for user Jonesy

Member for

22 years 4 months

Predates my service by a good two decades I'm afraid Richard so I cant offer much assistance. If its worth anything to you the base in question at Lee-on-Solent, that the involved matelots would have come from, was HMS Daedalus. She was closed in 1996, but, there are a dedicated group preserving the history of Fleet Air Arm ops at Lee-on-Solent.

You can find them at:

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Daedalus/Contacts.html

Perhaps they can help further. Its not much to go on, but, hopefully it might get you another step and, in the meantime, I'll see if I can turn anything else up on a MATSU unit - not one that I'm familiar with.

Good luck with the reunion all the same.

Profile picture for user R J A Taylor

Member for

22 years 4 months

Predates my service by a good two decades I'm afraid Richard so I cant offer much assistance. If its worth anything to you the base in question at Lee-on-Solent, that the involved matelots would have come from, was HMS Daedalus. She was closed in 1996, but, there are a dedicated group preserving the history of Fleet Air Arm ops at Lee-on-Solent.

You can find them at:

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Daedalus/Contacts.html

Perhaps they can help further. Its not much to go on, but, hopefully it might get you another step and, in the meantime, I'll see if I can turn anything else up on a MATSU unit - not one that I'm familiar with.

Good luck with the reunion all the same.

Thanks Steve for taking the trouble to respond to this thread - much appreciated.

I know it's a long shot, but it would be really nice to trace some of those 'lads'. They're probably retired, or nearing hanging up their 'sea boots' by now !!

I've tried numerous Royal Navy websites, including that for the FAA, but there seems to be no 'Forum-type' means of interacting with fellow 'browsers' / contributors.

I will certainly give your suggested site a visit, but in the meantime, if there's any chance that you can turn anything up from any of your contacts on the MATSU I'd greatly appreciate your efforts.

I never realised how much research, time and effort goes into trying to organise a reunion!!! Should have begun many many months ago that's for sure!!

Whatever, I'm hopeful that a reasonable number of 'old colleagues' will show up at the reunion and make it all worthwhile.

Once again, thanks for offering your help.

I hope I hear further from you.

Cheers for now,

Richard

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

Hi richard 

did you ever find any info out on anyone from the matsu unit 

regards adam