"Navy Pilots" on Discovery wings uk (sea harrier)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 8 months

Did anyone catch the "Navy Pilots" documentery on Discovery wings uk last night . What a load of overhyping on the Sea Harrier FA2 . The things just a light attack CAS plane with a new honker and missle yet a commander in the FAA claims it to be the best "Naval fighter in Europe!" So whats the Rafale, and Su-33 ? Chopped livers? Even the EAV-8B plus could potentially kick its ass and blow its carrier out of the water at the same time
Last I checked, Fleet defence also means defending against hostile ships. Whats happened to their antiship capability . Given to the helos?
And if it is so great, why is the FAA phasing it out in favour of the mud harriers until the JSF enters service ?
If only they'd ditched the overpriced merlin and go with harrier II when it was being introduced then the poor "fighter pilots" would have had something to be proud of (they actually sounded embarassed about their bird)and they wouldn't have had to have those "RAF harriers" stinking up their decks with their "considerably richer than yaoww" looks

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hmm, I have a horrible feeling they retired the last Sea Eagle, and so the RN would not seem to have any air-launched anti-ship missiles. I still feel the FAA might have been better off waiting a couple of years, and simply buying AV-8B+s, using the RAF GR-7 airframe.

The trouble is, pilots always have a tendency to call their aircraft the 'best in the world' - even Tornado F-3 pilots, despite their aircraft being about as manouverable as a truck... Again, a case of poor procurement - they might have been better off buying F-16s! (Or, like the Canadians and Aussies, buying F/A-18s)

Member for

20 years 1 month

When it first entered service in 1993(?) the FA2 Sea Harrier's Blue Vixen radar and AMRAAM missiles did make it the most capable BVR fighter in Europe.

The FA2 is being retired early to save money :( The GR9 will replace it, but it will not be upgraded to radar equipped AV-8B+ standard to save money :(

Salute to the Sea Harrier thread :) http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46257&highlight=Sea+Harrier

Attachments

Member for

20 years 1 month

Did anyone catch the "Navy Pilots" documentery on Discovery wings uk last night.

It's actually called ''Fleet Air Arm'' and is quite a good program (made in 2005). I've seen 3 episodes so far which were about the Sea Harrier, Commando helicopter and Lynx units respectively. Admittedly they're a bit short on facts and details but are worth a look.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I too watched Fleet Air Arm/Navy Pilots and thought it was well done. IMO it wandered off topic slightly in places, e.g. in the Commando Sea King episode but besides that I enjoyed it very much. I saw 4 episodes, Sea Harrier, Commando Sea Kings, Lynx (HMS Southampton) and Lynx (702 sqn training and Black cats display team)

I must say its not often you see programs about the FAA or RAF for that matter, normally its American stuff (not that I have a problem with that of course ;) )

With regards to the name, like SteveO has mentioned its actually called "Fleet Air Arm", but on the programme synapse on Sky televison they call it "Navy Pilots" or "Navy Pilots:Fleet Air Arm" :confused:

Am I correct on saying that one episode is back on Discovery Wings on Monday at 1900, 2200 and 0100 (repeats obviously)?

Member for

20 years 1 month

Am I correct on saying that one episode is back on Discovery Wings on Monday at 1900, 2200 and 0100 (repeats obviously)?

I believe so, Discovery Wings now runs from 1800pm until 0600am if I'm not mistaken.