Aussies repel Iranian Gunboat

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 8 months

It seems that our ship boarders had a similar problem to the British that were captured by the Iranians but managed to avoid being captured .I am glad that this story did not break while the British were negotiating the release of their own captives.

www.smh.com.au/news/world/aussies-repel-iranian-gunboat/2007/06/22/1182019309654.html

Original post

It seems that our ship boarders had a similar problem to the British that were captured by the Iranians but managed to avoid being captured .I am glad that this story did not break while the British were negotiating the release of their own captives.

www.smh.com.au/news/world/aussies-repel-iranian-gunboat/2007/06/22/1182019309654.html

Personally, I don't get Iran................even a small miscalculation could start a major conflict! Which, they would pay a high price for............:( DUMB REALLY DUMB!:eek:

Member for

19 years 1 month

Maybe they, for some reason, believe that being the western nations up to their neck already in the Iraq mess that they would think twice before starting a third open war in the region... Or maybe they just want to see the price of the oil barrel surge even higher...

;)

Regards

Hammer

Member for

24 years 2 months

Driving the price of oil higher would be an interesting strategy. Given the sentiment that Ahmadinejad has been ignoring the Iranian economy, which is in need of some sort of reform or assistance, driving the price of oil up would at least provide them with some additional revenue.

Driving the price of oil higher would be an interesting strategy. Given the sentiment that Ahmadinejad has been ignoring the Iranian economy, which is in need of some sort of reform or assistance, driving the price of oil up would at least provide them with some additional revenue.

Iran may enjoy making the US bad. Yet, many other nations get there oil from the Persian Gulf. Is in really in Iran's interest to push those countries closer to the US????

Member for

18 years 6 months

Not really, Iran, due to a lack of refining infrastructure, is a net importer of petrol. They export oil at$XX and import petrol at $XX + 15%

Higher prices mean more money in the government coffers, but they have to import petrol to meet domestic demand and the public gets very restive when the price of petrol soars, so the government has to subsidise the price of petrol at the bowser.

Higher prices are a two edged sword for the Iranian government.

Unicorn

Member for

20 years 2 months

Not really, Iran, due to a lack of refining infrastructure, is a net importer of petrol. They export oil at$XX and import petrol at $XX + 15%

Higher prices mean more money in the government coffers, but they have to import petrol to meet domestic demand and the public gets very restive when the price of petrol soars, so the government has to subsidise the price of petrol at the bowser.

Higher prices are a two edged sword for the Iranian government.

Unicorn

I am not an economist. Actually, I sucked at it during school :D So, I have ask, how on earth did that happen? (The bold part)

Member for

17 years 4 months

refining in iran

Is their any particular reason for iran lacking the necessary capabilities for refining? Its hardly rocket (or nuclear) science is it?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Several.

Much of the Iranian petrol productin infrastructure was located within range of Iraqi bombers during the Iran - Iraq war and were prime targets, with some completely destroyed and many of the remainder badly damaged.

Thus the seeds were sown for the limitations in Iranian domestic petrol refining capacity seen today.

So why haven't they built new ones I hear you say?

The US embargo on financing any construction in Iran (and a similar ban is in place in the UK and much of the EU). Companies are strange like that, they like to be paid, with lots of hard cash up front and regular progress payments.

But Iran can finance it themselves I hear you say?

The main companies who could build the Mullah's their petrol refining facilities are affiliated with the major oil companies, all of who hate the Mullahs with a passion, as Khomeini and his merry gang nationalised the foreign oil company's assets after the Islamic revolution in Iran.

The construction companies are not going to piiss off their main customers and business partners to do deals with a bunch of West-hating clerics.

Surely there are non-Western construction companies who would do the construction you ask?

Indeed, however the demand for refining capability worldwide is such that they have a long list of other, less politically unacceptable customers to build for first, Anyway, very few of them want to really piiss of the US, because the industry is a small one, and what comes around, goes around.

Thus Iran has to buy most of the petrol it uses, which suits the oil companies, the US and the other oil producing countries.

Hope this helps.

Unicorn

Member for

17 years 4 months

Several.

Much of the Iranian petrol productin infrastructure was located within range of Iraqi bombers during the Iran - Iraq war and were prime targets, with some completely destroyed and many of the remainder badly damaged.

Thus the seeds were sown for the limitations in Iranian domestic petrol refining capacity seen today.

So why haven't they built new ones I hear you say?

The US embargo on financing any construction in Iran (and a similar ban is in place in the UK and much of the EU). Companies are strange like that, they like to be paid, with lots of hard cash up front and regular progress payments.

But Iran can finance it themselves I hear you say?

The main companies who could build the Mullah's their petrol refining facilities are affiliated with the major oil companies, all of who hate the Mullahs with a passion, as Khomeini and his merry gang nationalised the foreign oil company's assets after the Islamic revolution in Iran.

The construction companies are not going to piiss off their main customers and business partners to do deals with a bunch of West-hating clerics.

Surely there are non-Western construction companies who would do the construction you ask?

Indeed, however the demand for refining capability worldwide is such that they have a long list of other, less politically unacceptable customers to build for first, Anyway, very few of them want to really piiss of the US, because the industry is a small one, and what comes around, goes around.

Thus Iran has to buy most of the petrol it uses, which suits the oil companies, the US and the other oil producing countries.

Hope this helps.

Unicorn

Cheers Unicorn, as informative as always.