Talk about rare footage!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I found this will going throu Youtube, all I can say is WOW.

Russian Naval Aviation

Look at the footage of the Yak-36's

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

Russian Naval Aviation

Always interesting to see a FORGER doing a rolling take-off.

Here's a rolling take-off that came to grief...

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=47F1S8Fd3qI

Unfortunately the pilot didn't survive.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks Ja and Levsha, great finds. The clips of the Forger realy take you back to the old days!

Member for

18 years 10 months

Folks,

Does anyone have any information on Russian night carrier operations. Do they use a mirror and light system like the British Royal Navy developed and is used on US carriers? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jack E. Hammond
USA

Russian Naval Aviation

I wonder are Russian Navy Fighter Pilots consider elite like there USN and RN cousins????:cool:

I wonder are Russian Navy Fighter Pilots consider elite like there USN and RN cousins????

The Forger is a light attack aircraft with self defence AAMs only. It could only be considered a fighter when used against MPAs.
Most Russian Navy fighter pilots are land based.

Always interesting to see a FORGER doing a rolling take-off.

You mean because so called western experts thought it was impossible? I call them so called experts simply because by definition an expert is someone who knows most things in their field of expertise... and the fact that they were so wrong about the FORGER in so many ways suggests they do not deserve to be called experts... it could perform rolling takeoffs, it was not supersonic, and nor was it a fighter (hense the Yak-36M and Yak-38 designations). The Yak-141 and Yak-41 were fighters and had internal guns and air to air radar for the role (as the odd number designation suggests.)

The Forger is a light attack aircraft with self defence AAMs only. It could only be considered a fighter when used against MPAs.
Most Russian Navy fighter pilots are land based.

You mean because so called western experts thought it was impossible? I call them so called experts simply because by definition an expert is someone who knows most things in their field of expertise... and the fact that they were so wrong about the FORGER in so many ways suggests they do not deserve to be called experts... it could perform rolling takeoffs, it was not supersonic, and nor was it a fighter (hense the Yak-36M and Yak-38 designations). The Yak-141 and Yak-41 were fighters and had internal guns and air to air radar for the role (as the odd number designation suggests.)

You lost me here? The current Russian Navy hasn't operated Yak's is years from Carriers. I was of course referring to the SU-33 and Russian Naval Fighter Pilots in general..................So, do Naval Pilots receive better training, more flight hours, etc. etc.

Member for

19 years 5 months

You lost me here? The current Russian Navy hasn't operated Yak's is years from Carriers. I was of course referring to the SU-33 and Russian Naval Fighter Pilots in general..................So, do Naval Pilots receive better training, more flight hours, etc. etc.

Dont worry about it Scooter, it is just Garry trolling again- he can not help it.

Dont worry about it Scooter, it is just Garry trolling again- he can not help it.

Well, he's not the only one...........:(

Member for

20 years

Russian Carrier Flight Operations

Does anyone have any information on Russian night carrier operations. Do they use a mirror and light system

As of the time the Russian Navy ceased carrier flight operations, they had a dozen pilots qualified for flight operations. Not one was qualified for night flight operations.
There was a debate within the "Tailhook Club" as to whether Russian pilots should be allowed to join, I was against such a move! (I had a letter to the editor of US Naval Proceedings Magazine which was published, expressing my opposition.)
There were still organizational issues concerning flight operations to be settled, such as how far up the chain of command should the decision to fly not land on the carrier (for some reason) and 'divert' to a land base be made?

I can not see why they would not have a optical landing system (OLS). Considering the problems of landing jets like MiG29K or Su-33 on a carrier, I don't see any advantage in not having such a system.

Adrian

As of the time the Russian Navy ceased carrier flight operations, they had a dozen pilots qualified for flight operations. Not one was qualified for night flight operations.

Funnily enough, the Russian Navy never actually ceased carrier ops - they just had some lengthy interruptions due to their sole carrier being in (ill-funded) refit. Equally curious is the fact that I have a video showing Su-33 night launches and recoveries (as well as adverse weather operations with a thoroughly wet deck).

Yes, the Kuznetsov has a light array to assist landings, unfortunately pictures showing it are hard to come by.

Member for

20 years

RE: Russian Carrier Flight Operations

Funnily enough, the Russian Navy never actually ceased carrier ops - they just had some lengthy interruptions due to their sole carrier being in (ill-funded) refit.

Not trying to argue over a couple of words but, reguardless of the reason, the Russian Navy discontinued flight operations.

I have a video showing Su-33 night launches and recoveries (as well as adverse weather operations with a thoroughly wet deck).

The pilots were not listed as being qualified for operating in night operational status. That is according to the Russian pilot who was attending a aviation symposium and was interviewed by US Naval Proceeds!

Adrian

Not trying to argue over a couple of words but, reguardless of the reason, the Russian Navy discontinued flight operations.

The pilots were not listed as being qualified for operating in night operational status. That is according to the Russian pilot who was attending a aviation symposium and was interviewed by US Naval Proceeds!

Adrian

Maybe, the Russian Navy should loan the Indian Navy the use of the Kunznetsov until the Vikramaditya is ready. As they don't have the funds available to operate regardless...........;)

As I stated... 95% of Navy fighters are ground based. Operational Navy Yaks (ie Yak-38 and Yak-38M) were not primarily fighters, as their even number codes suggest. Most of the Su-33 pilots flight experience will be from land bases or operational sorties with their ships. The latter might occur once every 5 years or so and suggests they are quite reliant on land based tests and simulators.

Trolling? In what way did I not answer the question?

There was a debate within the "Tailhook Club" as to whether Russian pilots should be allowed to join, I was against such a move!

Tailhook club? Isn't that just some high ranking Naval officers chasing skirt for the weekend? Why would the Russians want to join such a club?

Maybe, the Russian Navy should loan the Indian Navy the use of the Kunznetsov until the Vikramaditya is ready. As they don't have the funds available to operate regardless...........

Talking of trolling...