CVF Construction

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

You did not get a single concept of my reasoning, man about Pakistan and India's matter. You are making your own conclusions bending at your will what i said. In this way, you could pretty much make me say anything.

Your 'reasoning' was pretty transparent, and here you're merely continuing your 'attack the arguer' idealogy. The PAF thread should be updated with the new F-16s in a few days time. Don't miss it, after all you couldn't bear to see a single plane axed instead of Indian economic aid.

Member for

13 years 8 months

Your 'reasoning' was pretty transparent, and here you're merely continuing your 'attack the arguer' idealogy. The PAF thread should be updated with the new F-16s in a few days time. Don't miss it, after all you couldn't bear to see a single plane axed instead of Indian economic aid.

Are you still going on? Gods, you are annoying for real.
Luckily, there's already been someone in the conservative government calling for a reduction of aid given to India, which means that they saw the absurd of giving money to a superpower with a space program without getting any advantage in exchange.

For the people like you who did not get it yet, the Afghanistan operation we are all tangled in, will be ultimately won or lost in the South-Afghanistan/North-Pakistan region, teh sanctuary of talibans and the red-alert area, since it reaches all the way close to Pakistani nuclear facilities.
Aid to Pakistan is strategically relevant because of this simple fact. If you have evidence of the money of the aid being used for other military programs unrelated to the struggle in northern-pakistan, i could even believe it, pretty easily in fact. But it does not change the fact that we need Pakistan to work in the fight against talibans, and we unfortunately have to pay in some way for it.

As to budget aid, what has no strategic relevance for me should be immediately cut, in this times of crisis. When you have problems at home, you have to fix them before you can play nurse with the world.

If you still don't get it, cut it short anyway. Because you have grown annoying for real. And you keep forcing people to go out of topic. End it once and for all.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sorry to interrupt you guys here....but just to point out the glaringly obvious for you:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6599693.stm
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/biz/india-business/India-emerges-as-a-leading-investor-in-UK/articleshow/6165350.cms
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/globalbusiness/7870028/Cameron-bets-future-on-Indias-meteoric-rise.html

"Bilateral trade between the UK and India was worth £12bn in 2008 and this is likely to increase to almost £30bn by 2015. Meanwhile, the value of Indian investment in the UK is estimated to be £9bn"

Can we move on from the absurd question of the value of generating good will with a major trading partner?.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Totally agree Jonesy!

This has got silly for a thread about CVF construction.

If people want to talk about the UK aid budget why not do it in the general forum.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Are you still going on? Gods, you are annoying for real.
Luckily, there's already been someone in the conservative government calling for a reduction of aid given to India, which means that they saw the absurd of giving money to a superpower with a space program without getting any advantage in exchange.

For the people like you who did not get it yet, the Afghanistan operation we are all tangled in, will be ultimately won or lost in the South-Afghanistan/North-Pakistan region, teh sanctuary of talibans and the red-alert area, since it reaches all the way close to Pakistani nuclear facilities.
Aid to Pakistan is strategically relevant because of this simple fact. If you have evidence of the money of the aid being used for other military programs unrelated to the struggle in northern-pakistan, i could even believe it, pretty easily in fact. But it does not change the fact that we need Pakistan to work in the fight against talibans, and we unfortunately have to pay in some way for it.

As to budget aid, what has no strategic relevance for me should be immediately cut, in this times of crisis. When you have problems at home, you have to fix them before you can play nurse with the world.

If you still don't get it, cut it short anyway. Because you have grown annoying for real. And you keep forcing people to go out of topic. End it once and for all.

You keep rambling and rambling without getting the message that was clear several posts ago; or more likely you realised how fundamentally flawed your main argument is and are ignoring it out of pride. Either way I'm done with you. I'll just give you this one line to think about:

If you cut 4 F-16s out of Pakistan's military aid package they'd still be happy, there would be no difference whatsoever to the Taliban cooperation(since F-16s aren't going to be deployed there anyway), and you would free up that 250 million you're so desperate for, without any harm done to needy people in any country.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Returning to the thread, are there any plans to include armor plating on the CVF or do they remain dropped due to cost? At that size it'd be a shame if they didn't use some of the space to ensure it didn't sink with one AshM.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Returning to the thread, are there any plans to include armor plating on the CVF or do they remain dropped due to cost? At that size it'd be a shame if they didn't use some of the space to ensure it didn't sink with one AshM.

You can't sink a warship that size with one AshM unless it's got a nuclear warhead or it's exceptionally badly designed.

Member for

18 years 2 months

You can't sink a warship that size with one AshM unless it's got a nuclear warhead or it's exceptionally badly designed.

if I can quote from another forum their is going to be some armor the Warship1 board has a link from a company testing the armor system
http://www.qinetiq.com/home/defence/defence_solutions/sea/survive/cvf_case_study.html

'we helped optimize the armor level' seem pretty clear to me

Member for

15 years 7 months

if I can quote from another forum their is going to be some armor the Warship1 board has a link from a company testing the armor system
http://www.qinetiq.com/home/defence/defence_solutions/sea/survive/cvf_case_study.html

'we helped optimize the armor level' seem pretty clear to me

Quite, apparently details are classified though, there doesn't seem to be any information in the public domain.

Member for

13 years 8 months

You keep rambling and rambling without getting the message that was clear several posts ago; or more likely you realised how fundamentally flawed your main argument is and are ignoring it out of pride. Either way I'm done with you. I'll just give you this one line to think about:

If you cut 4 F-16s out of Pakistan's military aid package they'd still be happy, there would be no difference whatsoever to the Taliban cooperation(since F-16s aren't going to be deployed there anyway), and you would free up that 250 million you're so desperate for, without any harm done to needy people in any country.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The F16 you ramble about aren't Uk related to start with. It is a contract in place between Pakistan and USA that dates back to 2006 and builds on even older "Peace Gate III" and IV agreements in the late 80' and in the 90' that saw Pakistan ordering F16 fighter planes but never got them because US embargoed the country because of its nuclear program.

Even assuming they pay the F16 now with the same money the US give them in military aid (and it is higly unlikely that the US are SO stupid to seek no evidence of the use that Pakistan makes of its aid), the UK has nothing to say about it. The UK is not giving them Typhoons.
If you are trying to say that UK paid those F16, you are most likely wrong. If the government is stupid enough to hand them money without checking how it is indeed used, it is its own stupidity it must tackle.

And ultimately, Pakistan fights the talibans in the border region. It does what we need it to do, and this justifies the aid.
India could very well CUT A FEW OF ITS OWN PLANES and sustain its own people, instead of requiring the UK to cut its own investments to help indian villagers.

End.

Member for

14 years 9 months

The F16 you ramble about aren't Uk related to start with. It is a contract in place between Pakistan and USA that dates back to 2006 and builds on even older "Peace Gate III" and IV agreements in the late 80' and in the 90' that saw Pakistan ordering F16 fighter planes but never got them because US embargoed the country because of its nuclear program.

Even assuming they pay the F16 now with the same money the US give them in military aid (and it is higly unlikely that the US are SO stupid to seek no evidence of the use that Pakistan makes of its aid), the UK has nothing to say about it. The UK is not giving them Typhoons.
If you are trying to say that UK paid those F16, you are most likely wrong. If the government is stupid enough to hand them money without checking how it is indeed used, it is its own stupidity it must tackle.

And ultimately, Pakistan fights the talibans in the border region. It does what we need it to do, and this justifies the aid.
India could very well CUT A FEW OF ITS OWN PLANES and sustain its own people, instead of requiring the UK to cut its own investments to help indian villagers.

End.

Right, just shut up now. Others in the thread had finally managed to move on. I'm sick of having to sift through this argument to find posts on topic. If you want to carry on take it to PMs or another forum.

Jesus this board needs more moderators.

Back to topic: Interesting on the armour front. Are all our front line warships armoured to some degree still?

Member for

13 years 8 months

Right, just shut up now. Others in the thread had finally managed to move on. I'm sick of having to sift through this argument to find posts on topic. If you want to carry on take it to PMs or another forum.

Back to topic: Interesting on the armour front. Are all our front line warships armoured to some degree still?

Sorry, wasn't my intention to see it drag this long. But i couldn't just let go.

Anyway, modern warships are normally not armored. I doubt Type 23 have "armor", in fact, and even Type 45 does not have armor in the literal sense of the word. There are compartments and other passive-protection features. The SURVIVE software mainly determines how to place instrumentations, locals and machinery to create the safest and most resistant structure possible.

Anyway, from that article the CVFs seem to have some degree of armor, probably protecting the vulnerable fuel and weapon storage locals, and probably designed more to protect against slivers and blasts than from hits.
However, Navy Matters had a page about survivability and protection of the ships, where it was stated that most, if not all, the active protection (kevlar armor plates and such) had been dropped as a cost saving measure, and the safety of the ships based mostly on passive-protection and survivability measures.
With details being classified (wisely) it is hard to tell where armor may be, and what effective consistence it could have.

Member for

14 years 11 months

As it happens I think that only HMS SAbre and Scimitar are armoured.

Member for

14 years 9 months

A rather unexciting article but it does have a newer picture of the Superblock in construction at Govan:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/7896349/Britains-biggest-warship-uncovered.html

I laughed at the comments. Idiots comparing it to cruise ships and saying that because it takes longer to build and is smaller that is therefore only a medium sized ship and must be procurement **** up.

Member for

18 years 8 months

I think it it starting to look like the two carriers will never be at sea at the same time. This would allow the number of aircraft purchased for them to be reduced significantly with only one full strength air wing available plus training units, so around 40-50 airframes for the RN, with a smaller number 20-30possibly for the RAF to suppliment the air wing in an emergency. Both serviced would use the same training/evaluation units.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Assuming the price per plane would be about the same as the price Canada just agreed to pay for 65 F-35 for delivery 2016, LordJim's upper range suggestion of around 80 F-35B would see a cost of ~$11.077 billion or £7.24 billion based on today’s exchange rate (based on 65 F-35's costing $9 billion for the planes and ignoring the $7 billion support and maintenance contract as reported in the "Military Aviation News from around the world - V" thread) - does anyone else know is this the sort of money the UK has budgeted for or if the budget for the F-35B is likely to be lower (or higher)?

I swear I have read that the UK anticipated spending £6 billion on its intial purchase of the F-35 but I cannot find the story again - which if it is true would mean the UK would be looking at an initial purchase of around 65 as well.

Member for

15 years 9 months

I think it it starting to look like the two carriers will never be at sea at the same time. This would allow the number of aircraft purchased for them to be reduced significantly with only one full strength air wing available plus training units, so around 40-50 airframes for the RN, with a smaller number 20-30possibly for the RAF to suppliment the air wing in an emergency. Both serviced would use the same training/evaluation units.

So you want to have a single airgroup deployed 100% of the time? The airframes will not last long at all, and you wont be able to get volunteers to fill out the units, because as soon as they get families, they will resign or transfer to another part of the Navy/RAF.

Member for

13 years 9 months

I think the RN would bite your hand off for that scenario right now though I was of the understanding that it was always going to be one at sea at any given time unless at war.

So you want to have a single airgroup deployed 100% of the time? The airframes will not last long at all, and you wont be able to get volunteers to fill out the units

Highly doubtful either carrier will carry an airwing of 36, more likely rotating 36 aircraft for a wing of no more than a dozen. Which still gives the RN a bigger punch than they currently have and keeps naval air power alive in these times of austerity.

Member for

18 years 3 months

In peace time CVF will probably deploy with no more then 12 F35 which is similar to the Invincible class. Enough to wave the flag, maintain currency and participate in exercises.

The RAF will provide the surge airframes and crew in the event of something going up. With modern flight simulators and the F35b's automated benign landing characteristics should be fairly easy for the light blues to jump onto ship if required.

Lets face it the GR3 crews who operated off Hermes during the Falklands had barely any chance to work up for the task and nothing like the modern training aids.

Member for

18 years 3 months

I laughed at the comments. Idiots comparing it to cruise ships and saying that because it takes longer to build and is smaller that is therefore only a medium sized ship and must be procurement **** up.

Yep the ignorant of millitary ship building always make me laugh!:D