1950's Farnborough

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

I Came across some old snaps taken MANY years ago by a relative at an SBAC show at Farnborough.
I wonder if any members can
1) Identify the planes in question (I know two are the Brabazon, and one is a Comet)
2) What year they were taken.

Thanks for any input.

Original post

Member for

14 years 4 months

5. Ambassador
6. de Havilland Devon
7. Viscount
8. Hastings

Or so I believe... not sure about #4, though. Bit before my time. :D

Nice photos. :)

Member for

17 years 10 months

4/ Handley Page Hermes ?

Member for

17 years 6 months

Beat me to it! :D HP Hermes 5. Maybe 1951 or 1952 SBAC show?

Member for

16 years 6 months

I think if you look closer No 6 is a dH heron !

Supurb photos ! Thank you for sharing.

Keith.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Yes Hermes V in that pic, rare shot. Only two produced and powered by the Bristol Theseus turbo-prop engine.

Last one is an Avro Tudor, taken on MoS charge.

I would think the show is 1950.

Member for

15 years 4 months

Thanks for that folks.
Your compliments appreciated, pity I can't take credit for taking the pictures though....
Either my Mother or Grandmother took them, and it would have been with a very basic Kodak Brownie camera!!!

- I'll have a root about and see if I can find any others, I took some in the mid '70's and the 80's at Farnborough, not sure what happened to them though!!!:confused:

Member for

15 years 4 months

Bad News!!!

Only old pics I can find are two of the Nimrod AEW, and one of Concorde.

The others seem to have fallen victim to an over-zealous clearout by my ex-partner!!!!

Member for

20 years 3 months

The 1951 flying programme does not mention the Comet, Brabazon or Ambassador as taking part, but of course the displays are always subject to change!

Member for

15 years 7 months

Its 1950 or later based on Heron G-ALZL registered 3/1950 (G-INFO).... but the Brab was at the 1950 and 1951 show....googling Farnborough 1950, 1951, 1952 brings up youtubes and Pathe/Shell newsreels to help the detectives :)
I would think the camera was a bit better than a Box Brownie perhaps with a better lens and adjustable faster shutter