Penzance Heliport / Lands End

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

Just a few quick edits of the British International shuttle from Penzance to St Marys (Silly Isles) and the Cornwall Air Ambulance exhibition at Lands End.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Cliffair/IMG_8377.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Cliffair/IMG_8393.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Cliffair/IMG_8399.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Cliffair/IMG_8408.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Cliffair/IMG_8414.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Cliffair/IMG_8416.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Cliffair/IMG_8362.jpg

Thanks for looking, all c/c welcome

Regards Cliff

:)

Original post

Member for

15 years 2 months

Very nice shots :)

Member for

13 years 2 months

Very nice shots very well captured - thanks for posting :)

Member for

14 years

I had to look twice at the Air Ambulance shot :D

Member for

16 years 7 months

Excellent pictures Cliff, my grandad worked for BIH at St Marys and Penzance and I've always had a thing for the Sikorsky S-61N, in fact my earliest memory was a flight in one and peering out of the window at the huge float.
Sad news that the heliport at Eastern Green is under threat of closure, it is in a perfect position there at the end of the main line and A-30.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Pagen - does that signal an end of the service or is the plan to relocate it?

Member for

16 years 7 months

BIH own the land and want to sell it to the council for development, the plan was to move the helicopter operations to Newquay with some flights from Lands End, which of course doesn't make sense as there are already cheaper fixed wing flights from both these places. The more sceptical think that it may be a plan to end this Scilly rotary service for good, as the S-61s are getting on a bit now for passenger service and replacement will be expensive.
I'm unsure how that plan is progressing now as it was first mooted back in early 2008, hopefully some one has seen sense top leave this superbly placed, historic, and well respected service where it is.
Indeed there are members of my family that rely on this service for their livlihoods, namely getting the first flowers in the UK to the London markets.

BTW I thoroughly recommend an S-61 ride!

Member for

14 years 5 months

Although I haven't been down there for several years I did always hanker after a ride but it never came to anything, such is the way of things. But I do hope someone has seen sense and that it will continue. Presumably the aircraft still have a reasonable life left in them - which is the more vulnerable - airframe or engine?

Member for

16 years 7 months

I wouldn't know tbh, not sure how many times a rotary airframe can be rebuilt, especialy when you consider the stresses running through it. Would think engines are easier, but gearboxes must be an issue one would think.
When you consider that this service has been operating since January 1964, G-ATBJ above was delivered to BEA in April '65, it would put many fixed wing operations to shame in regard to longevity of type in use.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Thanks for the kind comments chaps...

It certainly would be a shame if this service came to an end. The thing that amazes me is that the airframes and engines don't suffer more from salt errosion though im sure someone in the know on here will put me straight on this one :D

Cliff

Member for

12 years 6 months

don't know if this is of any interest to anyone. but couple of weeks ago, on 2 diffrent evenings, i heard a Broadway callsign call up from penzance outbound to a ship(can't remember the ships callsign) now at the time i thought it must have been one of the FOST Dauphin from plymouth useing PZ for fuel. but the next night the same callsign was out again but was defo one of the
S-61??! as i clocked it out over mounts bayon the way to the ship, seemed abit odd? but then it got me thinking maybe BIH have a plan.
am i right in thinking that BIH also own the 2 FOST Dauphins?
maybe the plan is when plymouth close's and PZ closes. would thay move both the Dauphin's and the S-61 to St Mawgan (were i think BIH allready have a hanger?) there and do the FOST/ scily island work from there?
what you think? one of the tec crew for skybus told me some thing similor last year.
sorry for going on and admin if you feel this should be moved please do.

oh and very nice photos to.. drive past there most weeks and never think to stop to take a shot.. should do really looking at yours;)

Member for

12 years 6 months

Cliffair - your great photos have been hijacked by a lot of tosh written on this thread, IMHO. There are NO plans to end the Scillies helicopter service at all.

BIH are selling the current Helipad to Sainsbury's for a supermarket, not the Council, and it's all subject to planning permission so not a "done deal" yet.

A new HP is planned at St Erth, right next to the same A30 and the same railway line as the current HP, close to Penzance. Initial public consultations are going on right now, the usual smattering of NIMBYs rear their heads but it looks good plans to me.

BIH may operate briefly from Newquay if there is a gap between Penzance closing and St Erth opening.

St Just were not interested, terminating talks with BIH

BIH do operate S61 for FOST on occasions - remember the T in FOST.... Flag Officer Sea Training - so it's quite feasible that FOST just had some specific Training to do on the S61

Member for

19 years 5 months

Id love a flight in a S-61.
I just missed out on a USN SH-3H flight when I was in the service. :mad:
A classic type.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Reading these comments reminds me of how I wish I had flown on them when I lived down there. A friend of mine is a pilot on the S61 with British International and he loves it.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Lovely set of shots and find them even more interesting set against the road signs and the morrison's logo, now that would make shopping special if that 61 could drop you at your house complete with shopping.:)..cheers

Member for

15 years 7 months

Nice shots of the S-61 at the top.
I rode it to Scilly last year for the first time and it was an intense experience....bit like actually being in an engine!....better than being in a JetRanger which I hated.
Moving the Heliport to St Erth is probably a O.K. business strategy ...cuts out 8 miles of A30 which is never going to be dualled for passengers from 'upcountry' (not so good for Penzance resident travellers but perhaps a slight noise respite for the folks who live in Jelbert Way and Eastern Green. Ease of car access and ample parking is probably crucial.

from last year and earlier
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=74784995@N00&q=helicopter++&m=text

Jelbert Way houses next to the Heliport
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=74784995@N00&q=jelbert%20way

Member for

16 years 7 months

Cliffair - your great photos have been hijacked by a lot of tosh written on this thread, IMHO.

Sorry only just noticed this post, seems s bit rude for a first time poster, can you explain where 'tosh' has been spoken or the thread has been hijacked?

Nice shots of the S-61 at the top.
I rode it to Scilly last year for the first time and it was an intense experience....bit like actually being in an engine!

Brilliant way of putting it Longshot!

Personaly I think it would be very sad to see this historic and well loved service go from Eastern Green, even to St Erth but I guess that is better than the alternatives.
EG is just so handy for Penzance residents and in reality the Penzance rail station is a much better proposition for ending your journey than S'nerth.
My family are regular users of this invaluable heli service (as PAX & small freight), and there have been times when they have had hours to kill (either because of train times or Heli flight delayed), better to have to spend time in PZ.
Also do they really need to build a Sainsburys on the site? There is already a Morrisons and Tescos right next door, and there is other land about in the area.

Like Buzzer I have been to the heliport many times but rarely have a camera on me when I do, so very grateful to Cliff for posting these lovely shots.

BTW I realise discussion is frowned on in this area, so if the mods feel they need to moe some of this...

Member for

12 years 6 months

Scilly Isles Copter

I love the pics of the Scilly Isles helicopter. I just came back from my hols down there and have watched it going back and forth for ten days. Had been meaning to go and snap it taking off myself. My grand parents were from PZ and it was the highlight of any trip when I was about 6 years old to watch it take off or land. Would be a shame if it even moved site IMHO.

Member for

13 years 11 months

i have to be quick as i´m in majorca ,but i do know that there is an old airframe in a hanger at newquay which i believe is going to be rebuilt,it has been unwrapped and a large cover to stop bird droppings has been erected,i can supply the aircraft number when i get back from holiday.-------by the way it´s scorching out here

Member for

12 years 6 months

Sorry, "tosh" may have been a bit strong but there was certainly a number of incorrect facts presented earlier in this thread which I listed and corrected (ie end of Scilly service, selling to council, S61s getting too old - they just rebuild them again, BIH own three Dauphins not two, etc etc).

My previous post was not actually my first as I used to share an id with my son. However, thought it better to have my own id and hence did the honourable thing.

Penzance Town Council have approved the Sainsbury's plan by 7-6 votes this week. But it's Cornwall CC who will take the real decision.

dogman - I think you'll find that the airframe at NQY was G-BCEA and that went out to Canada via Southampton Docks in July despite still being reg'd to BIH

Wondering... are there any stats on the % of passengers split into residents of (1) Scillies (2) Pz area (3) "up country"

Member for

12 years 6 months

Sorry, "tosh" may have been a bit strong but there was certainly a number of incorrect facts presented earlier in this thread which I listed and corrected (ie end of Scilly service, selling to council, S61s getting too old - they just rebuild them again, BIH own three Dauphins not two, etc etc).

My previous post was not actually my first as I used to share an id with my son. However, thought it better to have my own id and hence did the honourable thing.

Penzance Town Council have approved the Sainsbury's plan by 7-6 votes this week. But it's Cornwall CC who will take the real decision.

dogman - I think you'll find that the airframe at NQY was G-BCEA and that went out to Canada via Southampton Docks in July despite still being reg'd to BIH

Wondering... are there any stats on the % of passengers split into residents of (1) Scillies (2) Pz area (3) "up country"

IMO it did come across as a bit of a harsh reaction!!
and in my defence. i said "am i right in thinking that BIH also own the 2 FOST Dauphins?"
i did'nt say it was the only ones owned by BIH:rolleyes:;)