Tele Extenders

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 1 month

I wonder if anyone uses a tele-extender on their telephoto lens ?

I know a decent one can be quite expensive, but cheaper than a new lens.
While accepting that there are a number of disadvantages with them, slow auto-focus etc
I wonder what sort of results people may be getting ?

I'm not in the market for one at the moment, but who knows what the future holds ?

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

I take it that's a no ?

Member for

17 years 6 months

Alan be careful what you get one for, if you use one on the likes of some of the Canon SLR's and fit it between some of their lens range it will damage the lens, they have only a few lenses it can be used on.
I had one on my old Tamron 500, but it really cut the light down in the viewfinder that and shake lol from using a 1000mm mirror lens with no IS handheld.

re none compatibiity

Please note: While some third party extenders *may* work with Canon's non-extender-compatible lenses, attempting to mount a Canon extender on these same lenses may damage the rear lens element. Canon extenders simply do not fit behind the rear lens element on Canon's non-extender-compatible lenses. Only certain Canon lenses are compatible with the Canon EF 1.4x II Extender.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Extender-EF-1.4x-II-Tele-Converter-Review.aspx

Member for

14 years 1 month

Thanks Tony,

I was aware of the dangers of possible damage, if used on the wrong lens.

I use a Nikon 55-300 lens on a Nikon camera, so would probably only go with a Nikon extender, to keep everything
compatible (if I should go down that route at a later date).

I know from my old 35mm days how much camera shake you can get if you try to over do it. As well as the
light issues. They reckon that with the 1.4 extender you will lose one stop, with a slight degradation in picture
quality at full magnification.
I appreciate they will always be a compromise, but can come in handy, while not taking up a lot of space.

Member for

17 years 6 months

I did consider one on mine when I bought my Canon 100-400 L as I was originally going to go for the 70-200L IS 2.8, but went for the larger lens. The Canon ones a supposed to be a cracking bit of kit.
I actually had a Nikon one that came into my possession and I sold on several years ago, it to was a substantial item.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I use a Nikon 55-300 lens on a Nikon camera, so would probably only go with a Nikon extender, to keep everything
compatible (if I should go down that route at a later date).

Alan,

The Nikon Tele Extenders are not compatible with your 55-300mm. Also with other, compatible, extenders like the ones from Kenko, I strongly advise not to use them with your particular lens. The 55-300mm just isn't fast enough to auto-focus with a TC, if at all!! Remember that a TC will affect the maximum aperture by 1 - 3 stops. For instance an f/4 300mm with a TC14EII, will become a f/5.6 420mm. The same lens with a TC20EII will act as an f/8 600mm. On top of that most lenses need to be stopped down at least 1 stop for best sharpness. The results of a TC on your 55-300mm most probably will be very disappointing. Nikon TC's only work with a select number of Nikon lenses with an aperture of f/4 and faster. Among the Nikon lenses which are compatible you'll find rather expensive ones like the AFS f/2.8 70-200mm (both VR and VR2), AFS f/4 300mm and the other professional long lenses in the 300-800mm category.

I regularly use the Nikon TC14EII coupled to either the 70-200mm f/2.8 or the 300mm f/4 on my D800 and D810 camera's. I also had very good results with those lenses on my previous Nikon D2x, D300 and D700 camera's.

Summing up: if you are not in the possession of a professional grade fast Nikon lens, or equivalents from Sigma Tokina or Tamron, don't even think of using a tele converter. To limit the effect of slower auto-focus with a TC, I advise to limit yourself to either a 1.4x or 1.7x extender.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Thanks for the advice Tony and Jur, it sounds as though you know what you are talking about.
I was only thinking in terms of a 1.4 converter, but may now shelve the idea, and save myself some money.

Cheers

P.S. My Nikkor telephoto zoom is f4.5 - f5.6

Member for

16 years 7 months

Given a prime lens of high quality, a doubling of the focal length can be simulated fairly well by cropping the image, then using the Photoshop 'bicubic sharper' imager resizing capability of PhotoShop. You do not get the reduced depth of field that would be created by the longer focal length, but in other respects, the end results can rival those obtained with an X2 extender, but without the loss of lens speed that these devices entail.