Spots on image

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 1 month

A few weeks ago when the BBMF were based at Southend for the Clacton airshow, I took a lot of pictures
of them taking off on the Friday. When I was processing them in Lightroom I noticed an abnormal amount
of spots which I had to get rid of (it was a clear sky) I also do a lot of wildlife photography, and haven't
noticed the same thing there. It may have been large insects, but I wonder, could it be oil being chucked
out of the engines ? Unlikely I know, but what else could have been causing it ? Anyone else had the
same thing happen ? ..............There was nothing on the sensor.

Original post

Member for

18 years 1 month

Have you got an example you could post? Also what camera were you using?

Member for

14 years 1 month

Have you got an example you could post? Also what camera were you using?

This is a cropped image showing what looks like a dust spot. I use a D500
Each photo I took had about a dozen such spots on them. Unfortunately I don't keep my RAW images,
and the photos I keep have been cleaned up. It's not something I have previously had a problem with.

[/url][url=https://postimages.org/]image url

Member for

18 years 1 month

Even though you say there was nothing on the sensor, it looks like a dust spot to me. There's any number of helpful web pages out there telling you exactly what to look for, and decent camera dealers will often have a while-you-wait sensor cleaning service.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Even though you say there was nothing on the sensor, it looks like a dust spot to me. There's any number of helpful web pages out there telling you exactly what to look for, and decent camera dealers will often have a while-you-wait sensor cleaning service.

Thanks for the advice, but if it were dust on the sensor it would still be there, as I haven't done anything with it. While I was going around
Rainham Marshes nature reserve yesterday, I took some photos of aircraft going into City Airport. They were perfectly clean.

Further investigation is needed methinks..... Thanks anyway

Member for

14 years 1 month

You were of course correct about having dust on the sensor. The reason it wasn't showing on the lens I use for shooting wildlife
is because that is a fixed f5 aperture and I use manual mode.
When photographing prop aircraft, as I was yesterday at Duxford, I tend to use shutter priority at a slow speed, which on a bright
sky can close the aperture right down, hence showing up the dust spots. Some from yesterday looked as if they'd had a severe
case of measles.
I have ordered a sensor cleaning kit.

Edit: Sensor cleaning kit duly arrived. Sensor is now clean :)

Member for

3 years 11 months

Dust can come in many forms, first of all, it can install itself in your camera due to static this is a pain in the butt, I know I've been In this situation but it could also come from the fastest of lens changes nothing you can do about this sometimes.  but not all is lost although you can't see the dust with your Naked eye it's for sure on the sensor don't forget when you see a spot on images its zoomed around 400x in some instances to show the dot on your work. Photoshop does well to remove them if you have one or 2 any more than maybe 5 id get the thing cleaned out..