Spots on image

Member for

9 years 7 months

A few weeks ago when the BBMF were based at Southend for the Clacton airshow, I took a lot of pictures of them taking off on the Friday. When I was processing them in Lightroom I noticed an abnormal amount of spots which I had to get rid of (it was a clear sky) I also do a lot of wildlife photography, and haven't noticed the same thing there. It may have been large insects, but I wonder, could it be oil being chucked out of the engines ? Unlikely I know, but what else could have been causing it ? Anyone else had the same thing happen ? ..............There was nothing on the sensor.
Original post

Member for

13 years 7 months

Have you got an example you could post? Also what camera were you using?

Member for

9 years 7 months

Have you got an example you could post? Also what camera were you using?
This is a cropped image showing what looks like a dust spot. I use a D500 Each photo I took had about a dozen such spots on them. Unfortunately I don't keep my RAW images, and the photos I keep have been cleaned up. It's not something I have previously had a problem with. [/url][url=https://postimages.org/]image url

Member for

13 years 7 months

Even though you say there was nothing on the sensor, it looks like a dust spot to me. There's any number of helpful web pages out there telling you exactly what to look for, and decent camera dealers will often have a while-you-wait sensor cleaning service.

Member for

9 years 7 months

Even though you say there was nothing on the sensor, it looks like a dust spot to me. There's any number of helpful web pages out there telling you exactly what to look for, and decent camera dealers will often have a while-you-wait sensor cleaning service.
Thanks for the advice, but if it were dust on the sensor it would still be there, as I haven't done anything with it. While I was going around Rainham Marshes nature reserve yesterday, I took some photos of aircraft going into City Airport. They were perfectly clean. Further investigation is needed methinks..... Thanks anyway

Member for

9 years 7 months

You were of course correct about having dust on the sensor. The reason it wasn't showing on the lens I use for shooting wildlife is because that is a fixed f5 aperture and I use manual mode. When photographing prop aircraft, as I was yesterday at Duxford, I tend to use shutter priority at a slow speed, which on a bright sky can close the aperture right down, hence showing up the dust spots. Some from yesterday looked as if they'd had a severe case of measles. I have ordered a sensor cleaning kit. Edit: Sensor cleaning kit duly arrived. Sensor is now clean :)