Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 9 months

This looks like it will be nice http://www.airfix.com/news/airfix-hawker-typhoon-mkib/

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

I am impressed by the rendering of the internal structure.. something of a departure to have so much 'anatomy' represented. I like it a lot! Now, Airfix.. how do you feel about an interesting twin-engine type?

Member for

13 years 5 months

Typhoon

WOW! That's an AWESOME looking model!

If only I had the time
... and the money
...... and the ability to make one looking like that.

Ian

Member for

13 years

Now, Airfix.. how do you feel about an interesting twin-engine type?

Their 1/24 Mosquito is an excellent kit. they generally sell for over £150 now though! Rumour has it that a bomber version will be released at some point.

Now, if they relesed a 1/24 Wellington with an exposed structure, I would definitely buy one of those!

Member for

17 years 6 months

Had the Tiffy on order for about 2 months now :) Have the Mossie, got it from the late Modelzone when they had the sale on and sold them off for £50!!!!

Member for

20 years 1 month

What a gorgeous model, so much detail that won't be seen, which is a shame, but adds to the builders satisfaction knowing it is in there!

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Wow that kit looks excellent may even be enough to get me modelling again been at 30 Year's since I last made one but well done Airfix 10/10 :eagerness:
and good post sCOTT bROOKES :eagerness:

Geoff.

Member for

10 years 2 months

Hate to say this about a nice kit... but has anyone noticed that Airfix have accidentally reversed the lower frame tube item 56?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235416[/ATTACH]
The correct configuration is as coloured red in the attached AP diagram.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235417[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

13 years 8 months

Hate to say this about a nice kit... but has anyone noticed that Airfix have accidentally reversed the lower frame tube item 56?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235416[/ATTACH]
The correct configuration is as coloured red in the attached AP diagram.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235417[/ATTACH]

Ah!.....,I was wondering which one of you would spot that.....!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]235427[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

17 years 6 months

Thanks Windhover, forgot to mention I passed on your comments on the Large Scale Plane forums :)

Member for

19 years 5 months

Seems a bit odd they spend the money for molds on a largely forgotten WWII type ("only" 3300 produced,no flying survivors, few in museums, no postwar use/no international use outside of the RCAF in the war).
Still, it's a interesting type.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I still await a 1/48 scale rendition of the venerable HP Halifax. Not quite so famous as its contemporary, the Lancaster, but it was a widely-used and versatile machine, despite its few shortcomings. Manufactured in various versions with a large variety of interesting colour schemes and roles, it's a mystery to me why it hasn't appeared in this scale thus far.

It would be a popular model subject and is at least as well known as the Mosquito and the Tempest - two types given the Airfix "mega" treatment in recent years.

Also, self-indulgently, I'd love to see a 1/24 Meteor model. Such a wide variety of versions, users and schemes it would make a superb model in any of its incarnations. As per the full-size, the model could make use of the modular structure to make the odd-ball versions and updates i.e. standard centre section (and u/c) would fit T.7 trainer, F.8 day fighter and NF-series of night fighters. Even the tail sections were the same (barring a few aerials and fillets, etc) for the F.8 and the NF's.

What with a fully detailed cockpit and a bubble canopy, the later versions would make a great scale class. I could foresee a whole section at a modelling show given over to just this kit.

Dream over!

Anon.

Member for

12 years 2 months

In case anyone is interested, West London Models are selling the kit for £75 at the moment.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Hannants are doing it at a similar price. I think it was Jumblies who recently had it at £65.

I still don't understand why Airfix persist with the 1/24 scale merely to fit in with their (other than the Mossie) elderly offerings. People that do large scale aircraft do 1/32. It's what ALL the other manufacturers produce. To me they have appear to have left themselves open to someone else bringing out a 1/32 Typhoon which would reduce their likely sales. Perhaps Airfix's marketing tells them otherwise though. Time will tell.

Member for

17 years 6 months

They sold over 8,000 of them in the first week apparently

Member for

16 years 6 months

According to the Airfix website the RRP is £99.99. By my reckoning this gives a trade price including VAT of £66.56.
Taking into account that a big retailer such as Hannants would be VAT registered they would reclaim the VAT giving a trade price before VAT of £55.52. If they are selling at £75.00 inc VAT they have £7 profit after handing over VAT on their retail price to HMRC which isn't a great return on the £55 they invested in each kit.

Don't know how Jumblies are making money at their price but bearing in mind the profit margins shown above and the cost of commercial rents and business rates is it any wonder that there are so few model shops now.
Surprised to hear that Airfix sold 8000 kits so quickly but I suspect there will be comparatively few buyers after the initial rush.

Member for

17 years 7 months

wouldn't surprise me if Hannants because of their size and ordering in bulk got Them a much better deal