Matchbox hobby kits

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

I used to have many Matchbox model-aircrafts when I in primary school&junior middleschool.Have you ever bought them.If you like, I think we may share our stories about that with each other.

Original post

Member for

18 years 9 months

they are very old, basic and a lot of them toy like, compared to other kits.
However, if you are mainly looking for a bit of fun they are ok.

Member for

20 years

I use to collect Italeri kit

Member for

20 years 9 months

I used to build the massive 1/32nd scale models from Revel. Built a Harrier GR1 / AV-8A, an RF-4C/E Pantom and an F-15A/C. Absolutely massive.....

Member for

18 years 9 months

i have a whole of load of them lying around the house!got a lot of MiG29s in various conditions!it is very hard to keep them in good condition when you have 3brothers that younger than you and are addicted to dropping them!

Member for

18 years 7 months

i have a whole of load of them lying around the house!got a lot of MiG29s in various conditions!it is very hard to keep them in good condition when you have 3brothers that younger than you and are addicted to dropping them!

I have ever got one B-17.And I had kept it in very good condition,but one time my father claned it carelessly make it broken.I have even feeling very sad from then on,if I remember that.

Anyhow, the Matchbox connect too much to my experiences.

Do you like post some photos of your model kits?I guess them to be very nice.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I used to build Airfix, my first cost 1s 9d (8p) Frog,Revell,Monogram,Matchbox and Tamiya.I still have about 25 models to make. What i remember about Matchbox was that the were made of diffrent colourd plastic.

Peter

Member for

20 years

Didn't the small Matchbox models come with a little clear plastic display stand?

I think I had a Jaguar, Strike Master, A-7 Corsair and EA-6B Prowler made by Matchbox, maybe a Spitfire, Hurricane and Halifax too.

I haven't made any models since my entire collection was destroyed during a pillow fight with my Brother :(

Member for

19 years 3 months

Sounds nice,steve.I've got a very old Matchbox model of an RAF Stranraer flying boat.Had it about 7 years but didn't finish it because the pilot,pilot seat & control stick got thrown away.I was too disappointed to continue.
But now I realise I should.Thanks dax,for reminding me!
I have however almost finished a Revell model of a German navy? Tornado.Just got to add the landing gear & markings.

Member for

20 years

I found some pics of kit boxes on e-bay :)

Member for

19 years 3 months

Amazing,steve.Third along,next to the Prowler.That's exactly the same as mine!

Member for

18 years 9 months

i used to have that corsair!il try to put up some of my models up here when i take some pics of them!it will be monday or tuesday though!dont have many intact ones left:-(

Member for

18 years 7 months

As a newbie here I'm a bit hesitant in suggesting this, but how about a separate board dedicated to all aviation modelling topics, ie actual model-making (kits, scratch builds, radio-controlled, whatever) rumours and discussion of new releases, nostalgia for the good old days of Airfix and Frog, and kit collecting? I hardly ever get around to making anything nowadays, but I'm quite active collecting stuff on eBay. Any other nerds out there want to talk about Airfix packaging styles?

Member for

18 years 9 months

As a newbie here I'm a bit hesitant in suggesting this, but how about a separate board dedicated to all aviation modelling topics, ie actual model-making (kits, scratch builds, radio-controlled, whatever) rumours and discussion of new releases, nostalgia for the good old days of Airfix and Frog, and kit collecting? I hardly ever get around to making anything nowadays, but I'm quite active collecting stuff on eBay. Any other nerds out there want to talk about Airfix packaging styles?

well me too:)

I've got easily 200+ unbuilt ones.

they include:

Hasegawa, Academy, Airfix, Revell, Fujimi, Italeri, MPM, Tamiya, Eduard, Esci, Trumpeter and you name it:)

My favourites from different manufacturers:

Hasegawa: (1/72) P3-Orion, F-18E/F, Kfir

Academy, (1/48) Mig-29, mig-21, P-47, F-86 LA-7, (1/72) P-51B/C/D, ME-109E..., FW-190SERIES, P47.

AIRFIX: (1/48) HURRICANE MK1, (1/72) SPITFIRE MK1/MK5, HURRICANE MK1, HAWKER HUNTER, GLOSTER METEOR

REVELL: (1/721) MIG21-F13, HURRICANE MK2B/C, P-47D/M, EUROFIGHTER (1/48) EUROFIGHTER, RAFALLE, F-18E,

FUJIMI: (1/72) MIG-21 SERIES GOT ALL OF THEM, MANY OF THEM TWICE, F-14 TOMCAT, A-7 CORSAIR, F-4C.

ITALERI: (1/72) MIG-29, SU-27, P-51A, P-51D, F-22, X-35

MPM: L-39 ALBATROSS

TAMIYA: (1/48) F-84, F-15, MIG-15BIS, SPITFIRE MK5, ZERO, SHIDEN, (1/72) ME-109E3/4/7, F-84, F4D SKYRAY, P-51D ETC ETC

ZVEZDA: MIG-1.44, SU-30, MIG21, MIG-31 ETC ETC

lOTS MORE BUILT AND UNBUILT:) LOVE IT!

Member for

19 years 1 month

There is not many in my collection,most of them have been built,and can no longer remember the makes.

In the 1/72nd collection,
Canberra X4 Various marks,Sea Vixen,meteor,C-160,Sunderland,Shackleton,B-17,Lancaster X2,Halifax,Fokker Friendship,Boeing 737,Spitfire X4,Mustang,Chipmunk X3.plus loads more!

In 1:144(to go with my corgi die casts),
Tristar (British & Air Canada),747(BOAC),Concorde(BOAC)VC-10(BOAC).

Unmade:
1:72nd.
Caravelle & Comet airliners(FROG).Halifax(Airfix).

...............plus some 60+ Airline Display Models various scales.

Member for

18 years 7 months

I consider the packaging paintings by Roy Huxley on Matchbox scale kit box to be best of all.I think those are much better than TAMIYA,Academy,ZVEZDA...

Two of my collections:
I bought those when I'm 10.

Attachments

Member for

18 years 7 months

I'll post more pictures by scanning my collections.I expect you like them.

Member for

20 years 1 month

matchbox kits

I loved the F4K they did crew ladders, extended or regular nose wheel oleo great but plastic was a little basic you can still buy them, they re-launched a few years ago then stopped (used old moulds) you can get old kits try www.kitkrazy.com or www.kingkit.co.uk (both key advertisers).

curlyboy

Member for

20 years

daxiong,

I had that Messerschmitt Me 262 too :) I think I had a Harrier GR3 also.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Fine by me :) There`s lots of scattered bits and pieces around the board relating to kits.Good idea Mr. C :D

Member for

20 years 2 months

they are very old, basic and a lot of them toy like, compared to other kits.
However, if you are mainly looking for a bit of fun they are ok.

Actually, they are none of those things as far as I'm concerned. The first ones were first issued in the mid'70s (old? :confused: )and they continued until the late'80s when the range was terminated and Revell bought up all the moulds. There were two things I didn't like about them - 1) the 'trench-like' paneling was too heavy on some of them and (2) they were moulded in two bright colours, making them attractive for kids that couldn't/didn't want to, paint them, but a nightmare to have to cover with paint, requiring an undercoat first! On the plus side, Matchbox issued kits of subjects that are not available from any other manufacturer - Hawk 200, EA-6B Prowler, Douglas Skyknight, Rockwell T-2 Buckeye, Percival Provost, Fairey Seafox, Supermarine Stranraer, Handley Page Heyford and others. They were very adventurous with their 1/32nd scale Sea Venom, Tiger Moth and Puma and this could have been their downfall!