Airfix Spitfire MkIa

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

I recently acquired one of the reproduction original Airfix kits (moulded in blue plastic, and packed in a poly bag), so thought I would do a thread showing it going together and being painted etc.

Would be interested to see anyone else's efforts of this model.

(Tried to do some pics, but my camera's mince! Will have to wait until later in the week to get them :()

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

Don't mean to be a killjoy, but the actual mouldings are a much later type than the original 1950's version. Always thought Airfix were less than honest in selling it as a reproduction, when in fact only the packaging is genuine repro (if that's not an oxymoron). The original "BT-K" kit was issued in (I think) about 1955, and was a pretty blatant scaled down copy of the 1/48th Aurora kit, complete with pilot's head moulded into the cockpit in the typical style of those times. It was the very first aircraft kit Airfix made, and I believe the founder of the company was rather reluctant to do it, believing they should stick with the successful Ferguson tractor and small-scale sailing ships. Only in the range for 2 or 3 years before being replaced by the long-lived "Johnny Johnson" MkIX kit. Always fetches a tidy sum on eBay, but I was very lucky in picking one up for peanuts several years ago, as the bloke in my local model shop always seemed much more interested in R/C than plastic. Told me in utter amazement once how some bloke from Norway snapped up about 20 genuine Frog Penguins from him for a full tenner each. I could have wept...

Member for

18 years 5 months

BT-K........I have that kit.........There were no instructions but I've built so many Mk 1a Spitfires that I can build them blindfolded and with one hand tied behind my back.....:D

On the packaging it shows the spitfire painted blue.......but I painted mine in brown and green with the light green underside common of Mk 1 Spitfires.......

Will take some photo's and scan them to share with you some time...........

Member for

18 years 7 months

Just to say that one of the old Airfix BT-K Spitfires has just sold on eBay for £295!

Member for

18 years 10 months

You're joking ! :eek: It's just been released as a limited edition run for a couple of quid :D

Member for

18 years 5 months

Perhaps EBAY aren't the best afterall :D Mark ;) :D :D