Spitfire decals

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

I'm thinking about doing a 1/72 model of MH434 - does anyone know if there are any decals around for it? I don't fancy trying to hand-paint the lettering, and much less the serials!!! I won't even attempt the "Mylcraine" nose art (although there are decals for the 316 Sqdn Spit IX whose markings '434 has worn a couple of times).

I may consider 1/48th if there's none available.

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

I'm also doing a model of MH434 at some point and have been producing my own decals - I've had much more success with serials and so on than roundels, so if you were able to do the roundels I should be able to run off a set of serials for you. This is 1/72 by the way. Nose art might also be possible depending on the colours.

Your other option would be ModelDecal lettering sheets (which are very fiddly, I don't like them myself) or masking and painting onto clear decal sheet. If you had access to a good colour laser printer I could send you the files and you could print them yourself on clear decal sheet.

For an example of the decals I've done see the thread on my Shackleton in progress, though these are early examples and the definition is better now.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I'm also doing a model of MH434 at some point and have been producing my own decals - I've had much more success with serials and so on than roundels, so if you were able to do the roundels I should be able to run off a set of serials for you. This is 1/72 by the way. Nose art might also be possible depending on the colours.

Your other option would be ModelDecal lettering sheets (which are very fiddly, I don't like them myself) or masking and painting onto clear decal sheet. If you had access to a good colour laser printer I could send you the files and you could print them yourself on clear decal sheet.

For an example of the decals I've done see the thread on my Shackleton in progress, though these are early examples and the definition is better now.

Thanks for that. I would probably use the kit roundels/flashes since I'm not going for a "competition entry" model, just one for my own collection.

I think our work has a laser printer - I could see what the results are like with that.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Thanks for that. I would probably use the kit roundels/flashes since I'm not going for a "competition entry" model, just one for my own collection.

I think our work has a laser printer - I could see what the results are like with that.

OK, personal message me with your email address and I'll send you over the files. It would help if you had a lot of models to do as the decal sheets aren't cheap. Let me know if it's a colour laser printer and I'll send the codes over too. In fact, if you were able to print my codes for me, I'll send you a couple of sheets of the Galaxy Models (very good quality) decal sheet, do your own and send me the rest back... Let me know what you think.

Member for

20 years 8 months

OK, personal message me with your email address and I'll send you over the files. It would help if you had a lot of models to do as the decal sheets aren't cheap. Let me know if it's a colour laser printer and I'll send the codes over too. In fact, if you were able to print my codes for me, I'll send you a couple of sheets of the Galaxy Models (very good quality) decal sheet, do your own and send me the rest back... Let me know what you think.

Done. It is a colour laser printer, too. I should probably be able to print the codes, with any luck!

Member for

24 years 3 months

A future kit release from Airfix is a Spitfire IX in 1/48th with one of the decal options being MH434.

Neal

Member for

20 years 8 months

I bloody knew it!! Matt and I were discussing that the other day! :rolleyes: