Tony Nijhus DC3

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Thought I would take some pics of my DC3 as I have tidied up the Workshop and am able to re-start work on it. I am currently working on the tail-feathers, just have to finsih hinging the Elevators. I am deviating from plan slightly as Tony just used normal hinging, whereas I prefer the hinge moved into the surface slightly (like the Rudder) to give some aerodynamic balancing as per the original. the next job will then be to get the 'Office' sorted, the nose fixings and whole lot of filling/sanding/blending where the moulding meets the fuselage.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 5 months

That is one hell of a model you have there..........I love the DC3. It's one of the aircraft I want to build a model of.......that and the Lancaster.

Wouldn't mind doing a hurricane to come to think of it :D :D :D

Seriously, it looks magnificent ;)

Member for

18 years 6 months

That is one hell of a model you have there..........I love the DC3. It's one of the aircraft I want to build a model of.......that and the Lancaster.

Wouldn't mind doing a hurricane to come to think of it :D :D :D

Seriously, it looks magnificent ;)

Thanks SP, I love just putting it together like that, it takes up half my workshop. I can't wait to get the wings sheeted and the Engine Nacelles started.
The guy that designed this preceded it with a 6' span Lanc, and then did a set of plans for a 9'.
I have cheated a little with this one in that I bought a set of mouldings for it, and a set of CNC parts which speeded up the initial build a lot. (cutting ribs is a thankless task). There is still a lot to scratch build (and muck up, I made the tailcone 3 times before it was right!)
My ultimate goal is a Lockheed constellation of around 9-12' span, a Retirement project, methinks (in 20 odd years time!)

There are a few very easy to build Hurricanes around (sheet wing, simple electric power) if you look at the Plan listings on the RCM&E and RC Models websites, they have loads, you can then buy the back-issues to give you the build instructions. I have built a few from RCME plans, they cost no more than £20 to build the airframe usually, and are very simple.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Nice......I'll sure give that a go. I haven't bought any RCM&E magazines for a while. I'll have to start again :D :D :D

I don't have a workshop. The nearest thing I have is my bedroom (which although it is the medium sized bedroom, is still only just big enough to fit my spitfire into :( :( :( ). Still never mind, I'll just build the rest at my grandparents farm.