1/350 Battleship Bismarck progress report

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well it has certainly been an interesting project with this being the first time I have used brass addon sheets for detail. Apologies for the boat pic being blurred. The main radar was like a flattened box and took some careful folding to make it. To do this you need hands of a surgeon and patience of a saint!

Attachments
Original post

Member for

17 years 4 months

Well done, looking very good so far although Im beginning to question your sanity having seen the amount of brass on her!!! :p :eek:

Bex

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hard work

It is mind numbing work I have one complaint about the add on kit though. theres too much involved with the mounts for the floats on the floatplane

Member for

17 years 4 months

It is mind numbing work I have one complaint about the add on kit though. theres too much involved with the mounts for the floats on the floatplane

Still reckon ya going crazy :p but, it looks great cant wait to see it finished.

Bex

Member for

24 years 2 months

Finished..

Yes I think I might leave it with the brass details unpainted.

Member for

17 years 4 months

Yes I think I might leave it with the brass details unpainted.

ROFL Pete :eek: :diablo:

Bex

Member for

24 years 2 months

what?

Think about it, if I leave the brass parts showing thne everyone can tell what was brass. if its all painted grey then.............:(

Member for

24 years 2 months

Latest progress

Well a little update for you. I managed an hour on the old Boat last night and here are the pics. The floatplane was an absolute badger to do and I am seriously considering leaving the other one as is or not building it at all. It is hard to tell in the pics but you can make out the large crane for raising and lowering the boats and aircraft.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

update number 2

Well I managed to get the deck sections glued on and began the long arduous task of installing the tiny porthole windows of various shapes. Like trying to thread a needle this is.. I manages to get the aft end completed with armored doors,stairs and portholes. Had to quit there after losing 5 of the windows into the carpet. Managed to get 3 back. I completed the front deck with porthole installation as well as doors. I also made the walkway under the front and rear main turetts and built the vent covers in this area. Pics attached.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Update number 3

Well I spent about an hour installing the anchor chains tonight. I purchased a cheap gold chain and used it as anchor chain.I haven't glued the anchors and chain on yet as the deck has to be painted.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Looking good Pete, it's gonna be a mammoth task painting that one:eek: .

John.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks John!

Fortunately I am not going to paint it I think I will paint the hull red with black trim line and paint the wooden deck. Other than that just some small painting here and there. I figured if the brass is all paiinted over, then noone will know what's brass?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just a couple of updated pics of the build so far. My first crack at the railing was around the smokestack. Takes ages with super glue in tiny drops and waiting for it to set and moving further along the railing etc etc.

Attachments

Member for

17 years 6 months

Nice job, Peter! Very impressive! :cool::cool:

I built a 1:350 Titanic quite a few years ago, and that nearly drove me bananas. OOB too...

I shall be watching this one! :)

Don

Member for

24 years 2 months

Update.. I have been busy making and installing the small eyebrow pieces above the porthoes on the hull and upper areas of the superstructure. Very tedious bending fine wire around small tube and trimming and gluing in place. pictures to follow.

Below you can see the eyebrow pieces above the portholes in the hull and also on the main structure and bridge area. About halfway done!

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well I have been busy with the old Bizmarck recently. I prhcased the deckplate brass set from White Ensign Models as well as the AA brass set as well which arrived today. I also picked up another sheet of portholes and Kreigsmarine doors.
The AA guns will be a pain to make as they are so tiny but will look amazing and much improved over the original kit pieces..

Well I managed my first gun build tonight pics attached..

Attachments