Virgin to Order up to 30 Airbus A340-600's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

There we go, my point proven. Thank you Bhoy.

I'm not saying the 340-600 is a bad aircraft. I'm just saying... Airbus made out it would reach a far greater range that it actually does. Thus my point: Airbus are known to fail targets.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Might be able to help you out here, Sandy....

dug up an old copy of FlugRevue (February 2000), where the main topic is 30 Years of AIrbus. Anyway, there's details of the whole fleet, and, for the A340-600, it lists 'Reichweite mit typischer Passagierkap. (km)' as 13'900. Which, by my rudimentary maths (139'000/16) is 8687.5 statute Miles (don't ask me what it is in nautical Miles, though :confused: )

Bear in mind this was published two years before first deliveries.

Bhoy for your information.

1 Nm = the length on the earth surface of one minute of arc ie 60nm =1 degree

Member for

24 years 4 months

that can't be right, Hand, that means that one nm is different near the poles to one at the Equator.

Member for

24 years 4 months

that can't be right, Hand, that means that one nm is different near the poles to one at the Equator.
At the equator for sure sorry ....

Member for

24 years 4 months

Here it is :

Nautical mile

A nautical mile is a unit of length. It is widely used around the world for maritime and aviation purposes.

The international nautical mile is defined as exactly 1,852 metres. This definition was adopted in 1929 by the International Extraordinary Hydrographic Conference, Monaco. The United States adopted it in 1954. Prior to the adoption of the international nautical mile, the nautical mile used by the US and the UK was 6080 feet, or 1853.184 metres.

A nautical mile is approximately a minute of arc along a great circle of the Earth and was formerly defined so. The earth is not a perfect sphere, so a minute of arc can be less than, or more than, a nautical mile by a few metres.

The approximation to the minute of arc is convenient for air and sea navigation. The length of a minute of arc of latitude is found on any nautical chart and can be taken to represent approximately one nautical mile on that particular chart.

The abbreviation "nm" is used. The same abbreviation, "nm", is also used to denote nanometre in the SI though little confusion is generated from this, as the contexts of use are very different. For example, the 'nm' abbreviation is typically seen in listings of aircraft flight range, but listed next to the range in kilometers (km). ([Example (http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=400)] of nm, km together- in performance section)

One knot is a unit of speed defined as one nautical mile per hour. It is therefore 1852 metres per hour exactly.

Member for

20 years 3 months

err 13.900km = 7.505nm. just thought I'd mention it.