Another "Landmark" building for RAFM Hendon

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Jeepman -whilst the American article is very interesting -a reveal of the cost of expanding the existing Superhangar might well shock ! It's far cheaper to demolish and build a new structure than it is to re-engineer a building and commision new structure that needs to match what is already there!

I think thats exactly what he is saying, David, and he then goes on to compare it with the Superhangar/Airspace which was significantly increased in size.

I think my whole argument over this idea is the extent to which the function is overtaken by the architectural flight of fancy. The sad fact is that it is probably impossible to raise £80m for a more sympathetic building.

Recall that the designers at Cosford delivered a building where there is a danger of knocking yourself senseless on the structure as soon as you walk through the main entrance. In addition you cannot stand back and get a single clear view of any or all of the three V-Bombers. All you see is a bit at anyone time. In addition you actually almost miss the Canberra and Meteor they are so far out of sight.

If this makes me one of Moggy's "chorus of gainsayers with mealy-mouthed criticism" so be it. Most of the critisism hasn't been mealy-mouthed though - it has been quite the opposite. Perhaps we should call it the Marmite Tower................

Member for

20 years 9 months

Only just read this thread and agree with all the negative comments on it. So a lot of the locals are against it? That shoould come as no surprise to anyone with more than one brain cell. They have my support as well.

Member for

17 years 7 months

...any attempt to do anything stunning or world-beating is met by a chorus of gainsayers with mealy-mouthed criticism. We have become a sad little third-world country with small ideas and even smaller ambitions...

Yes, I certainly agree with you on that point and your comments about Hendon not being given a ‘pot of money’ are well founded.

Architecture, especially ‘landmark’ architecture, is happily one area where Britain still has an excellent international reputation, look at the Millau Viaduct for example; any British involvement in such a high-profile French project (that would never get the go-ahead in Britain) speaks volumes I think!

I am sure that the architecture of the Battle-of-Britain Beacon is equally spectacular but, as any architect will tell you, the environment you place it in is as important as the building itself and the impact of the Beacon will be greatly diminished by being placed in built-up Hendon (and all of the graphics are careful to omit most existing structures). Also I think this is one of the great problems with Hendon being the ‘spiritual’ home of the RAF and the site for a museum; few international tourists know where it is and for a while Hendon was branded as RAF Museum London.

My other major objection to the Beacon (like the title of the BBMF) is that it only honors the Battle-of-Britain period and not the RAF as a whole; is this some revisionist reinterpretation of our history in that the only period where Britain was definitely the ‘good guys’ and therefore the only period that is to be celebrated!

Member for

18 years 1 month

"Hendon being the ‘spiritual’ home of the RAF"
An interesting point of view.
I spent many happy times in the late 60's and early 70's as a young Junior Officer in the
"No. 1 Officers' Mess of the Royal Air Force"
It was demolished without ceremony not so very long ago and , no, it wasn't at Hendon.

Member for

17 years 7 months

I’m sure I’ve heard Hendon (amongst other places) described as such...

...well, if not the ‘spiritual home’, Hendon certainly was (and possibly remains) the ‘public relations’ home of the RAF.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Museum buildings must be 'fit for purpose'...it seems to be a continuance of the 'landmark buildings' at cosford and duxford...absolutely useless for displaying aircraft !!

Maybe not that brilliant at displaying aircraft, but with the suspended airframes viewable from almost every angle probably better than anything we have at present.

But it isn't an 'aircraft museum' It is a museum of the RAF. A very different thing.

Moggy

Member for

14 years 7 months

Does anyone know where this £80m is coming from? If i have missed it on an earlier post then i apologise.

The BOB memorial by the thames and Capel Le Ferne are fitting memorials, and they was made up of charitable donations i believe, there was no large scale funding such as this. I believe that memorial on the thames and also the one at Capel le ferne sum up everything and make one contemplate what people fought and died for. This memorial is a waste of money and the money could be better spent instead of this modern art.

As stated somewhere else, this money could be spent on improving buildings on the site and really improve Hendon and be a focul point for the RAF. As stated it is the RAF Museum.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Maybe not that brilliant at displaying aircraft, but with the suspended airframes viewable from almost every angle probably better than anything we have at present.

But it isn't an 'aircraft museum' It is a museum of the RAF. A very different thing.

Moggy

We must live in a parallel universe Moggy ...the last time I visited Hendon I could have sworn it was absolutely full of old aircraft :D
I know we cannot see all of the exhibits ,because some bu99er keeps turning the lights off :D
I am not a great fan of suspending a/c,but you still need large open areas to do that and our recent 'Landmark' museum buildings simply do not have enough !
One of our fellow forumites described the monstrosity at Cosford as looking like a 'Fallen down Hangar'...I certainly would not argue with that LOL

Member for

24 years 3 months

...I know we cannot see all of the exhibits ,because some bu99er keeps turning the lights off

*yawn*

Amazing, nobody has ever mentioned that before.

Moggy

Isn't that the whole point?

Its a beacon!

OED: Beacon: Fire or light set up in a high or prominent position.....

Once they light up that baby there will be enough Lumens, I should reckon, to light up all of Hendon and Colindale, let alone the museum.

No need to complain about the lighting ever again.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Someone is missing from this thread - anyone seen JDK recently?!

Member for

20 years 4 months

Saving money

In these times of trying to save money and fill the £100+ Billion black hole in UK Gov. finances, let alone the hidden debt on the public's credit cards, etc. why does every new architectural statement building cost £40M here, £80M there???

It just smacks of vulgar over indulgence.

We live in the UK. Its classed as a wet environment. Ideally you keep aircraft indoors. Does it really cost that amount to build a new T2 hangar (or similar) that could comfortably contain loads of airframes and an educational centre.

However something like this is funded, either through the Lottery, fundraising, or loans, ultimately its our money they are spending.

Member for

17 years 7 months

...this is funded, either through the Lottery, fundraising, or loans, ultimately its our money they are spending.

According to the Telegraph the money is to be ‘secured through private funding and there are several interested parties’.

Isn’t £80 million quite a lot of money to be raised in this way; and what’s in it for these interested parties? Surely they’ll want something back for such a large ‘donation’?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7723210/Giant-380ft-beacon-planned-to-commemorate-Battle-of-Britain.html

Member for

24 years 3 months

David - there is now a perception in this country that no matter what design put forward for an aircraft museum -it needs to be either 'groundbreaking' or
'interpretative' - possibly the same principles used by some of the 1960's shopping centre designers which are now being reviewed and in some cases knocked down!

I am very much of the mind that people principally go to aircraft museums to see the aircraft and not the buildings ! To me a design which pretty much encompasses the shape and structure of a hangar is not necessarily a bad thing when housing an aircraft . Maybe if the positioning of it was in central London it might raise a few eyebrows but in general the types of building which suit aircraft (hangars) are often in keeping with their location - Newark's Lottery Assisted hangar being a prime example of a development adjacent to an airfield site.

Member for

17 years 7 months

The architects are Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, who designed the 'Divided World' hangar at Cosford, by the way.

Member for

18 years 4 months

My personal preference for the display of aircraft is for them to be parked in a hangar with enough space to walk around them, as if they were just there waiting to be wheeled out and flown.
This proposal for Hendon does not appeal to me although I imagine the younger visitor might appreciate it more. Personally I find it rather vulgar.
At some stage a planning application will have to be made at when comments from the general public will be sought, then is the time to support or oppose the scheme.
I can think of many more worthy causes where the money and resources would be better spent.

Richard

Member for

20 years 4 months

... but in general the types of building which suit aircraft (hangars) are often in keeping with their location - Newark's Lottery Assisted hangar being a prime example of a development adjacent to an airfield site.

Yeah, absolutely, and although this cost £XXX I bet it didn't cost £80M, and is perfectly fit for its purpose.

Member for

17 years 7 months

But it isn't likely to win any design awards either! :diablo:

Member for

16 years 8 months

Under the current facade there are two wonderful c.1920s double GS 'Belfast Truss' sheds, surely in this day and age when properties are generally reverting back to old appearences (witness the Restoration Man and many other old buildings programmes on TV) these should have their modern facades removed, and returned to their former glory.
A moderm twist could be the addition of a large clear suspended roof arrangement, which could be designed to co-exist with these hangars and the other historic buildings on site, such as the Grahame White hangar and the watch office. It shouldn't be forgotten that this is an aviation site that goes back to the late 1800s, never mind the idea of hanging up rare Battle of Britain era aircraft.
You don't need glass towers to win awards, look at our sports stadiums, the Eden Project, and other modern designs, all ground breaking, but practical with it.
Encompass the old and classic with the bold and new, and awards can still be won, if that's what they are after.
The USAF museum at Duxford is a good example, it isn't intrusive, not towering, most aircraft are on the ground, and it is beautifully light and well laid out inside.

Can you imagine what this tower will look like after a few years of completion, when there are no funds to clean the glass, paint the frames and dust off the aircraft!

Member for

15 years 7 months

As the three pages on this thread attest it doesn't take much to see that the vision hasn't been clearly thought through.

The figures simply don't stack up when you take into account other recent museum projects such as Duxford Airspace (£25m), Cosford Cold War (£12.5m) and even the IWM North which was budgeted at £40m but cut back to £28.5m after they couldn't secure lottery money.

They will have a very tough time trying to secure the finance and in these prudent, risk adverse times as funding would typically come from a variety of sources such as the European Regional Development Fund, Regional Development Agency, HLF, Local council, the RAF Museum Trust, public & private donation.

As reported it's a consultation exercise and really just headline grabbing to gauge public opinion. It's obvious that it's never going to happen at least in this form.

http://i40.tinypic.com/9rmxhv.jpg

I don't have a problem with £60m shaved off the budget ;)