Member for

18 years 3 months

For Condor68: Leuchars September 1961. 29 and 151 sqds were resident

Laurence

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/apollo-fox/leuchars61.jpg

Member for

16 years 2 months

Meteor at Colt

Enc pic of XM184 with the meteor behind - the tail had broken off and i recall the marks were fighter bars with white and and a blue outline- airframe was silver

Attachments

Member for

18 years 3 months

I refer back to posts 5 and 19 above. I asked a colleague at Singapore Polytechnic and he confirms that none of the remnants of the Seletar Javelins survived when the school moved from its old campus to the new one in the mid 1980s.
Maybe jagx204 might want to update his records.

Laurence

Member for

19 years 1 month

Laurence,
Many thanks for the feedback via this thread - along with your reply directly to 'Demobbed' Its nice to finally close the chapter on the ex Seletar GI examples once and for all. As well as see some interesting press clippings which were certainly new to me.

Regards

Profile picture for user Phantom Phil

Member for

16 years 5 months

I guess that would be 66 Sqn then??

Enc pic of XM184 with the meteor behind - the tail had broken off and i recall the marks were fighter bars with white and and a blue outline- airframe was silver

Member for

18 years 3 months

Jagx204: "finally close": maybe not. I would like to find which 5 Javelins went to the Polytech. The one in the press cutting is obviously "V" of 60 Sqd, who were at Tengah from 1961 to disbanding in 1968, when their Javelins went to Seletar for disposal. There are several photos and videos of 60 Sqd Javelins on the web, but I cannot see one to tie up a serial with "V", but always remembering that the squadron code may change during service.
The RAF serial is covered up by a sign "SAF", for the RAF donated these Javelins to the "Singapore Armed Forces" as instructional airframes. I would have expected them to be in the XH700 or 800 series.

Anyone any further data on this?

I have asked the Polytech people if anyone has any old photos from the 1968 to 1980 period, either at Seletar or at the school.

Laurence

Member for

15 years 5 months

My Dad ( Dave Waddington ) flew with 60 Sqn from Feb '64 to August '66.

He has a number of logged flights in "V"

His first flight in "V" is from March '64 , he also noted it as XH961.

In July 1965 he has XH910 listed as "V". His last logged flight in "V" was on 27 July 1966.

I found this pic in his log book...

http://www.a-k-d.com/javelin/small_60_sqn_Aug_65.jpg

It was stuck in his log book for August '65 ... But counting the noses, I reckon there are 17 Javelins there .... 16 flew the flight past for 60 sqn's 50th anniversary on 30 April 1966. Maybe the photo was stuck in the wrong place !

HOWEVER, If I blow up the 3rd aircraft ... here she is !
http://www.a-k-d.com/javelin/small_XH910_Aug_65.jpg

All the Best
Steve

Member for

17 years 9 months

START UP?

The pictures of 60 Squadron are great, they remind me of Nicosia early sixties when on a start up the area where the groundcrew are kneeling is where the fire nearly always developed on an engine start. If you didn't have a rag or beret on you to stop the flames the fire truck, called by the aircrew would roar up and give a blast of CO2 to extinguish the flames.:eek:

Member for

18 years 8 months

Javelins in Singapore

SAFTECH-5 was Javelin XH895

SAFTECH-6 was Javelin XH893

SAFTECH-7 was Javelin XH872

SAFTECH-8 was Javelin XH793

Hopefully AMB might come along with the picture of it wearing Singapore markings

SAFTECH-9 was Javelin XH777

SAFTECH-10 was Javelin XH839

All except SAFTECH9 (w/o 05/02/68) were SOC 01.12.68 so I would suspect that the five did not include XH777

This information is from the incredible www.ukserials.com

Member for

13 years 2 months

Thanks for the picture I.g ,it was about 1967 that the ocu closed down,when 74 and 23 had Lightnings at Leuchars

Member for

18 years 3 months

Thanks Stevew62 and Thunderbird for the photo and data on the 60 Sqd Javelins. My colleague at the Poly is looking for some photos of their time there and I shall keep you posted.
Steve: where was your father's photo taken? Tengah?
Just one problem: Neither XH910 nor XH961 are in Thunderbird's list.
Trying to read the SAFTECH number on V in my newspaper cutting, I see SAFTECH 6 with a bit of imagination, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Laurence

Member for

24 years 4 months

Great thread! Anything on 60 Sqn and its Javs always interests me. Thanks for the updated info and photos.

I add one more photo to the melting pot. This was taken at Tengah on 1 May 68, the morning after 60's disbandment. Shortly after the photo was taken, the crews started to fly the aircraft across to Seletar for disposal.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5263/5594760238_ac699d201b_b.jpg

Sorry for the quality but I only have a 3" x 2" B&W print left to scan.

At the peak of Confrontation, 60 Sqn was the largest flying squadron in the RAF with 33 Javelins on strength. I have photos of one aircraft bearing a code number rather than a code letter which I think stems from that time. If anyone has info on the numbering system I would like to hear from them.

Laurence, looking through various reference sources, I can find nothing on any Jav being written off because it over-ran the runway at Seletar and ended up in the sea.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Just one problem: Neither XH910 nor XH961 are in Thunderbird's list.

Laurence

Laurence,

FYI, checking in Air-Britain's serial register for these aircraft shows that XH910 was struck-off on 20-6-67. That was about the time that 64 Sqn disbanded and some of their airframes were handed over to 60 Sqn.

The other aircraft Steve mentioned, XH961, suffered a brake failure landing at Tengah. It swung on landing, hit a bank and was struck-off on 8 Feb 68.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Thanks lauriebe. I hope my friends at the Poly come up with some photos. Thanks for the information that you did not find one that ended in the sea at Seletar. But did you find any that "crash landed" at Seletar, maybe at the time of 60 Sqd disbanding in 1968?

Laurence

Member for

15 years 5 months

Sorry for the red herrings on the Serial numbers chaps.

So it looks like "V" was allocated to another airframe in 1968.

l.garey ( Laurence ) , yes my dad's picture was taken at Tengah.

Here's some info on the flypast
http://www.a-k-d.com/javelin/small_60_sqn_50th_april_66.jpg

& here's what it looked like. ( I was 3 at the time ... can't remember it :mad:)

http://www.a-k-d.com/javelin/small_60_sqn_50th_april_66_3.jpg

Member for

16 years 9 months

Cracking shot there Steve, they look like an early from of QRA shed in the background, can anyone confirm?

Member for

18 years 8 months

Thanks for the picture I.g ,it was about 1967 that the ocu closed down,when 74 and 23 had Lightnings at Leuchars

Disbanded 23rd December 1966 according to

http://www.rafweb.org/OCUs1.htm

Member for

24 years 4 months

Thanks lauriebe. I hope my friends at the Poly come up with some photos. Thanks for the information that you did not find one that ended in the sea at Seletar. But did you find any that "crash landed" at Seletar, maybe at the time of 60 Sqd disbanding in 1968?

Laurence

Have had another look through my references, this time for the whole period that the Javelin served in FEAF. Cannot find reference to any landing mishap involving this type of aircraft at Seletar. Several at Tengah and Butterworth though.

However, if, as you seem to infer, it was at the time that the last airframes were being ferried across to Seletar for scrapping, as they had already been struck off, if there was an incident at that time, possibly it might not have been recorded as the cause of write-off.

BTW, a Javelin survived at Tengah into 1971. This was XH908/S. It was officially struck off on 1 May 68 and allocated to the fire dump at Tengah. Yesterday, on another forum, I came across a photo of this aircraft taken in 71. There was no sign of any fire damage whatsoever and the photo showed '908 parked on grass near four ex-20 Sqn Single Pins. Wonder what happened to that?

Member for

24 years 4 months

Cracking shot there Steve, they look like an early from of QRA shed in the background, can anyone confirm?

'Q' sheds in the process of being built. Butterworth has a similar arrangement which is still extant and can be seen on Google Earth just to the left of the threshold of Rwy 36.

I have been trying to place the location of the 'Q' sheds at Tengah but can't. Anyone?:confused:

Member for

18 years 3 months

Thanks Adrian. Good to see these excellent colour photos of the Javelins in their SAFTECH markings. As you can see from the posts above, I think "V" in the newspaper cutting seems to be SAFTECH 6. Do you have anything on that one?

Laurence