Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 6 months

Absolute credit to you Rob.

Cheers Mike

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks Mike. I hope it inspires others like me with virtually no engineering background to at least have a go.

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

Yes an interesting survivor which appears to be the extreme front hinged section. A shame all the Perspex appears to be missing.
Thanks to all those for the heads up.

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

Sturgeon - As mentioned before, after seven years of ownership the Sturgeon project has been sold to a new owner who I’m sure will take it onto the next stage. With the larger parts coming from as far apart as near Perth, North Yorkshire, Oxfordshire and Kent it has been a real journey of discovery to get it this far, but now I wish the new owner the best of luck with what is a fantastic and unique project.

Wyvern - After many years of searching / hoping that a curved front screen section would turn up on someone’s allotment or shed (which it didn’t) I finally got round to making one. I decided on using polycarbonate as it’s much easier to form and cut than Perspex - the down side is that it scratches much easier too. This has transformed the aerodynamic appearance of the windscreen and gives a much better idea of a complete earlier type screen.

The API also now has its accompanying outside temp gauge fitted. This would of sat very close to the pilots left leg, hence the shape of the bracket on the right side.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 10 months

Looks great, you just need to find the 17' that goes in front, the 21' the sits behind plus the 20 odd feet either side and the jobs a goodun! :eagerness:

Member for

16 years 6 months

Indeed. I’m always open to donations of said missing sections.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Looks great, you just need to find the 17' that goes in front, the 21' the sits behind plus the 20 odd feet either side and the jobs a goodun! :eagerness:

I mentioned exactly the same thing at cockpitfest.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Rob it looks great and a nice display at Newark.

Tim

Member for

24 years 3 months

That is a really startling curve - I can't imagine that helped visibility.

Adrian

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks for the comments.

Adrian - indeed it didn’t, hence why the newer one piece windscreen was introduced during the S.4 upgrade starting in 1955. This new design had a flat bullet proof screen aided by a windscreen wiper and incorporating the use of de-icer. The canopy was similarly upgraded but that’s another story.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Can anyone say what is the current status of this project? After nearly seven years of regular updates, there seems to have been no news for nearly four years.

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 10 months

I'm keen to hear more too, if possible.

Member for

4 years 1 month

Is it on Facebook?

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sorry. I don't know. I'm not a facebooker.

Member for

4 years 1 month

Just checked,have only seen Wyvern models. :(

Member for

17 years 6 months

Rob sadly sold it on eBay after some thirty years of collecting and building it,  due to an illness in the family, it was listed on or about Jan 22.

:(

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thank you, Tony. That explains why all had gone quiet. I wonder who acquired it and what its future is?

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hello all, having seen the renewed interest in the project I thought I would log on and answer some questions.

First of all TonyT is indeed right, after a close family members illness and losing my mother it kind of made me re-assess a few things in life. This together with the RAF museums point blank refusal to help me with a much needed item that has no place in the history of the RAF or will probably ever get to see the light of day gave me the feeling that it was time to stop. Therefore having offered the project twice as a going concern beforehand without success despite some interest, I made the hard decision to break up over thirty years of Wyvern collecting. I won’t disclose where the main items have gone, as I’m sure if the owners wish to step forward they will in their own time. The last items I have are the mainwheels and tail wheel which have been donated to the FAAM - along with some smaller items, and are awaiting collection. But in my continued quest to find a photo of every one of the 127 Wyverns produced by Westlands, I shall be keeping my photo collection for now.

As mentioned at the start it was 1990 that I made the decision to go down the ‘Wyvern Way’, having previously become fascinated by the type during reading the Harald Penrose book ‘Adventure With Fate’. And during that time I made many friends and acquaintances both directly and indirectly associated with the project or the Wyvern. Possibly two of the highlights for me was - thanks to curator Dave Morris, the chance to visit and measure the cockpit of the sole surviving Wyvern TF.1 VR137 held at the FAAM in Cobham Hall at Yeovilton to enable me to make a start with the cockpit rig. To climb up and sit in that huge beast of an Aircraft is truly one of the highlights of my life. Another was a letter addressed to me from former Westland Chief test pilot Harald Penrose, stating that although he wished me luck with my quest but it would be impossible to find enough parts to put together a complete example of the S.4. How right he was lol. And even right up until just before the dreaded Covid outbreak struck, I was corresponding for several weeks with a former RN Wyvern pilot, taking priceless notes on his service time with the aircraft and his impressions of it. 

So now i would like to take the opportunity to say a big thank you to all those who have helped me along the way and who have taken a positive interest in my ‘alternative’ Aircraft obsession!

All the best,

Wyvernfan