Lancaster Autopilot

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 11 months

Can anybody point me in the direction of any information at all on the Autopilot system fitted to the Lancaster, please?
I have seen reference to MkIV and MkVIII, but have no info. Were other Marks fitted? Is there a guide anywhere to different Marks of WW2 autopilots?
Bits turn up claiming to be 'Lancaster Autopilot' and I want to understand what they are and where were they fitted.
Many thanks,
Andy

Original post

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hi Andy

Do you mean info on the autopilot system itself or info as to which autopilot onto which Lancaster?

I have copies of AIR 10 2026 1930 and a later copy which details a later system.

Cheers
James

Attachments

Member for

11 years 11 months

James,
I'm looking for details of any autopilot systems which were fitted to the Lancaster. (British, not Canadian, if different).
I imagine the AP you illustrate might be a bit early, dated 1933?
Was there more than one standard of autopilot fitted, I don't know. What units did it consist of? Who made it, or did Avro build their own (this seems unlikely)?
Andy

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hi Andy

Home now! I have AP1469A - Aeroplane Automatic Controls MK IV, you are welcome to a copy of course.

This one was fitted to Stirlings, some images follow.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 3 months

Here is a schematic of the Mk IV

Member for

15 years 3 months

And from the Lancaster Mk I aircraft AP:

Attachments

Member for

13 years 5 months

Fitted to the Halifax

Attachments

Member for

13 years 5 months

Pics of parts, all the usual AP stuff.

Attachments

Member for

13 years 5 months

Aileron Servo

Attachments

Member for

11 years 11 months

James, Terry, very many thanks! Very helpful indeed. James, I would appreciate a copy of that AP if you have it electronically. Probably too big to email, if you could put it in Dropbox it would be great.
Thanks again!
Andy

Member for

17 years

Hi James

Any chance of a copy for the Project as well :)

cheers

John

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hi John

I'm pretty certain that I sent it to you some while ago following posts in your Stirling thread but I'll resend it, let me know if you don't get anything through.

Andy there is a pic of the MkVIII system here:

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?77197-Stirling-Project-Update/page26&highlight=stirling

Apparently I posted it.

Cheers
James

Member for

11 years 11 months

James, thanks, I must have looked at the Mk.VIII poster at the time and completely forgotten about it! I've now saved it for future reference.
Andy

Member for

17 years

Got it James, many thanks

John

Member for

16 years

If it's of any additional use, the George Newnes Limited book "Instruments (Part 2)" printed between 1940-1942 has a whole section dedicated what I *think* is the Mk.III autopilot. Looking at the AP extracts above I think theres a commonality of parts and you might glean some extra info from it. They're usually on flea-bay for a few quid.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Interesting thread. Out of interest, what controls did the auto pilots operate ?
Although i expect that changed according to the Mk. ?

Member for

11 years 11 months

The schematic at post #5 shows that the MkIV operated elevators, rudder and ailerons.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Thanks, my eyesight isn't that good :)

Member for

9 years 10 months

Apologies for dragging this topic up, James have sent you a PM

Member for

4 years 6 months

Hi Aircraft

If I am the James you were referring to I haven't had a PM, and come to that I thought that I had written this same post a while ago? It must be this new improved, 'if it doesn't work then it can't go wrong' forum software!

It's still telling me that I have an unread mail which in fact I answered about a week ago!

James

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hi James

i have just tried - again!