De Schelde Scheldemusch

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sorry - I'm in the realms of the wierd and the wonderful again!

Whilst spending a few spare hours browsing the British Pathe website, I came across a short newsreel concerning Scheldemusch PH-AMA and its crash at Gravesend in 1937. That jogged my memory concerning the other Scheldemusch in the UK, PH-AMG. I mentioned this aeroplane briefly, some 15 months ago, in a post concerning BAC Drones. There I sought information about it and its fate, but without response.

PH-AMG came to the UK at some time during the last war. After trials with the RAF, for aerial observation purposes, it was sold to Joe Wood of Solihull in 1946. It is said that he gave it to a Squadron Leader D.Langford and, after an accident during taxiing trials, it was sold to a scrap dealer. Apparently this was c. 1960. Does anyone know anything more about this aeroplane, in particular the identity and location of the scrap dealer? I am aware of the photographs of PH-AMG on the Don Burgoyne website.

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

I know that I'm diverting from the original question that I asked, but the commentary on the Pathe newsreel suggested that the Scheldemusch was a 'flying car' which could be deconstructed - presumably by the removal of the flying surfaces and the skeletal rear fuselage - for road use. Any comment?

Member for

16 years 4 months

I know that I'm diverting from the original question that I asked

AA.......... I think they call those supplementary questions....!!!

Planemike

Member for

19 years

Or as the judge would say, a fishing expedition!:D

Member for

16 years 8 months

Continuing with the legal analogy, you're both wrong - it was a request for further and better particulars (or, as one is supposed to call them now, a Part 14 Request for Further Information). But getting back to the matter in issue, what did become of PH-AMG?

Member for

18 years 2 months

I have seen photos of it damaged. With it sitting on its nose.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Well i work in the Aviodrome and perhaps something in the underground archives will reveal the faith of the Scheldemusch?

i realy hope to be of some assistance :)

Grtz,

TG1984

Member for

19 years

PH-AMG De Schelde Scheldemusch 53

18.03.1937 NV Koninklijke Maatschappij "De Schelde", Vlissingen/*Vlissingen.

00.00.1940 Was het toestel voor demonstraties in Engeland en daar bleef het natuurlijk.

18.03.1943 Bewijs van inschrijving verlopen.

00.00.1945 Vloog het daar in RAF-kleuren mèt het Nederlandse kenmerk.

(G-AHJR)

Het hier genoemde Engelse kenmerk werd toegekend in april 1946 maar niet opgenomen.

Het toestel bleef in Engeland en de laatste waarneming dateert van 1960 in de buurt van Birmingham.

Het toestel is ook in Frankrijk gedemonstreerd, één bron weet zelfs verkoop naar Frankrijk te melden.

Maybe Topgun could translate this for us! Not sure what the connection of G-AHJR is as this is a Sunderland.:confused:

Member for

15 years 5 months

Not a problem :D Translation/discription is in Bold Italic underneath it... So you can learn some dutch also hahaha :D

PH-AMG De Schelde Scheldemusch 53

18.03.1937 NV Koninklijke Maatschappij "De Schelde", Vlissingen/*Vlissingen.
Builddate 18-03-1937 at the NV Royal Establishment "De Schelde" in Vlissingen

00.00.1940 Was het toestel voor demonstraties in Engeland en daar bleef het natuurlijk.
in 1940 this aircraft was for demonstration purposes in the UK and it stayed there offcourse

18.03.1943 Bewijs van inschrijving verlopen.
Proof of registration expired

00.00.1945 Vloog het daar in RAF-kleuren mèt het Nederlandse kenmerk.
in 1945 it flew in RAF colors WITH a the dutch registration
(G-AHJR)

Het hier genoemde Engelse kenmerk werd toegekend in april 1946 maar niet opgenomen.

Het toestel bleef in Engeland en de laatste waarneming dateert van 1960 in de buurt van Birmingham.

Het toestel is ook in Frankrijk gedemonstreerd, één bron weet zelfs verkoop naar Frankrijk te melden.

The above English feature was granted in April 1946 but not included.

The aircraft remained in UK and last observation dates from 1960, near Birmingham.

The aircraft was also demonstrated in France, a source even mentions a sale to France

I hope it helps... but i think this is already the known information...

If there are more translations needed, give me a sign...

Regards,

TG1984

Member for

16 years 8 months

I have seen photos of it damaged. With it sitting on its nose.

G-ASEA, where did you see these photographs?

Member for

18 years 2 months

They where in the Aeroplane monthly some years ago.

Dave

Member for

15 years 5 months

Well i found a pic on the internet with the old roundels on it. hope you like it :)

[ATTACH]174403[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 2 months

Looks even more comical wearing roundels...what a monstrosity,I would have resigned if asked to fly it :D

regards baz

Member for

16 years 8 months

Just to give proper credit, I believe that the source of the photo posted by Topgun1984 is http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~billburgoyne/dons%20page.htm, which is the website dedicated to the late Don Burgoyne. There are two more photos of the PH-AMG there.

I not sure that I agree your sentiments, baz. Perhaps rather than resigning you should have asked to fly the Fane F 1/40 or the General Aircraft G.A.L.47 instead!

But still no-one seems able to say what happened to the Scheldemusch after 1960 or why it retained its Dutch registration marks whilst being use by the RAF for trials and then during at least 14 years of civil ownership in the UK!

Member for

19 years 2 months

Just to give proper credit, I believe that the source of the photo posted by Topgun1984 is http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~billburgoyne/dons%20page.htm, which is the website dedicated to the late Don Burgoyne. There are two more photos of the PH-AMG there.

I not sure that I agree your sentiments, baz. Perhaps rather than resigning you should have asked to fly the Fane F 1/40 or the General Aircraft G.A.L.47 instead!

Dont worry AA...I know its not the worst design ever,just looks comical for the year it was designed.

cheers baz

Member for

19 years 2 months

I know that I'm diverting from the original question that I asked, but the commentary on the Pathe newsreel suggested that the Scheldemusch was a 'flying car' which could be deconstructed - presumably by the removal of the flying surfaces and the skeletal rear fuselage - for road use. Any comment?

Yes...looks like it would have been even more unstable than a Bond Minicar...:D

http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/images/bond-f-00.jpg

complete with kick start for your convenience,a friend had one - managed to tip it up at almost walking pace :D

http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/images/bond-f-06.jpg

Member for

16 years 8 months

Yes...looks like it would have been even more unstable than a Bond Minicar...:D

http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/images/bond-f-00.jpg

complete with kick start for your convenience,a friend had one - managed to tip it up at almost walking pace :D

http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/images/bond-f-06.jpg

1. Take one Bond Minicar
2. Weld a tubular horizontal pylon structure to its rear end
3. Add fin, rudder, tailplanes and elevators
3. Fix wings with ailerons above the driver's and passenger's doors and add struts
4. Tow whole to your local airfield
5. Then beg to withdraw your resignation and plead to fly the Scheldemusch!

Member for

19 years 2 months

1. Take one Bond Minicar
2. Weld a tubular horizontal pylon structure to its rear end
3. Add fin, rudder, tailplanes and elevators
3. Fix wings with ailerons above the driver's and passenger's doors and add struts
4. Tow whole to your local airfield
5. Then beg to withdraw your resignation and plead to fly the Scheldemusch!

I'm sure the performance with a 'cough cough' Villiers 2 stroke engine would be stunning :D

Member for

16 years 8 months

The Bond Minicar must have been so dangerous that access to the website, via the two hyperlinks above, has been denied as - "forbidden"!

Member for

19 years 2 months

The Bond Minicar must have been so dangerous that access to the website, via the two hyperlinks above, has been denied as - "forbidden"!

Work ok for me AA,maybe they dont like french ISP's :D