Member for

19 years 2 months

here is another

thanks guys for posting

Attachments

Member for

18 years 11 months

nastle:

But with its F-16IQs, Su-25s, L-159s, and now South Korean-made T-50 Golden Eagle jet trainer and light attack aircraft, Iraq increasingly has far better options when it comes to carrying out air strikes and appears to have relegated its AC-208s to intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance missions. And even though the Vipers are the only aircraft that can employ precision-guided munitions,

Various sources say that the L-159 can use Maverick & LGBs.

Member for

11 years 8 months

An-72 with semi-integrated UPK-23 gunpod:
https://russianplanes.net/images/to236000/235821.jpg

This is more or less standard armament for these in Russian PSFSB service, even those in far less militaristic liveries:
https://russianplanes.net/images/to230000/229800.jpg

The An-26 photos with the WW2 slogans above, that Gerard posted a few years back are from a Baltic fleet aviation exercise. The slogans were just an impromptu joke by the crew. Interestingly though, when these exercises took place they said they practiced An-26 bomb runs for the first time since the USSR days. That, together with the fact that the fuselage pylons are standardized for the model (BDZ-34) and rated up to FAB-500, strongly suggests that those particular Antonovs were designed from the get-go to be able to perform limited combat tasks.

Member for

19 years 2 months

thanks for the info

but why do the russians want to use an-26, an-32, an-74 to carry bombs , rockets and cannons surely they have much better platforms cheaply available to do the job

I can understand why smaller nations , or war torn nations use these antonovs in civil wars or makeshift solution when they do not want to risk their fighter-bombers
?

Member for

11 years 8 months

The An-72s with well-integrated guns above are from PSFSB, i.e. the border guard branch of the Russian federal security service. Most likely, it's to provide them with some means to shoot down or warn (with tracer fire for instance) trespassing small aircraft on their own, such as airborne drug/gun runners or whatever, without having to call on the air force and all of that.

The pylons that can be fitted to the An-26 family can be used for other things than just high explosive ordnance, for that matter. They can fit smoke bombs, flare bombs, torpedoes (as in the Peruvian Navy example above) and so on and so forth. None of that is really "makeshift" in any way - the pylons are official, standard issue, and lends the type some additional flexibility/multi-purpose abilities. Though, I have to agree that using them to carry plain bombs does have an air of "makeshiftness" to it as they're hardly optimal for that (even though crews apparently train for it regardless).

I'm sure you can find uses for those pylons when on paradrop missions too, considering the various containers they can carry.