SAAB Gripen and Gripen NG thread #4

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

Two Aircraft.. what Aircraft?
It sound like you talking about AWACS.
In that case, you only need one aircraft.

On larger airforce you often go on patrol/ Intercept Mission with two(sometimes 4) fighters.
Eighter way, you always splitt up with two flights, Lead and wingman.
That means you have to fly very close to each other, which in turn means you just scan the same sector of airspace.
Besides, fighter with ESA + Gimbals have datalink as well..

Member for

15 years 4 months

Multiple array is something new. It can only be mounted on larger class fighter due to power and space issues.

Lets wait and judge about this shall we..

Member for

15 years 4 months

And you seems to be out of touch regarding radar service hours
The AESA on both SH and F-15 had TERRIBLE sustainment hours..

Member for

8 years 7 months

Will having gimbals fix the matter ?

Then if AESA is terrible.. how does it compare to just 200-500hr of conventional TWT which BTW will also make your radar completely unusable when it fails.

Member for

12 years 2 months

Multiple array is something new. It can only be mounted on larger class fighter due to power and space issues.

Lets wait and judge about this shall we..

GaN incoming should allow lower power space issues. Tile architecture modules aswell for space issues.

Member for

12 years 4 months

What are you babbling about “sustainment hours”? Are you talking about MTBF, or maintenance hours?

And secondly, where exactly are you getting this information.

Edit- forget it, I know exactly what you are referring to. F-18E/F dot&e. Too bad you didn’t actually read it. The problem with early versions was software instability of the APG-79 (which was improved by newer software drops). Nothing on the APG-63v3. Both are worlds better in reliability and maintenance ease than any mechanical array. The use of LRU solves the maintenance headaches of legacy radar systems.

Member for

12 years 4 months

Two Aircraft.. what Aircraft?
It sound like you talking about AWACS.
In that case, you only need one aircraft.

On larger airforce you often go on patrol/ Intercept Mission with two(sometimes 4) fighters.
Eighter way, you always splitt up with two flights, Lead and wingman.
That means you have to fly very close to each other, which in turn means you just scan the same sector of airspace.
Besides, fighter with ESA + Gimbals have datalink as well..

If you are referring to my post above, I was specifically talking about lead and wingman - in a gimbal setup, with each one covering one side.

Member for

11 years 2 months

The small number of T/R modules of the side arrays provides inferior performance compared to a gimballed array, but the mechanical steering comes with a signature penalty, which VLO aircraft cannot afford.

Member for

15 years 4 months

GaN incoming should allow lower power space issues. Tile architecture modules aswell for space issues.

Yes and cloaking generator should also improve RCS..

Seriously.
Good thing both F-35 and F-22 GaN upgrade is just around the corner!!

Member for

12 years 2 months

Good thing both F-35 and F-22 GaN upgrade is just around the corner!!

Did not mean that. However GaN modules are reportedly present on Gripen E electronic war suite aswell as tile architecture modules on F3R version of Spectra. Remember that old Thales scientific ppt? Distributed apertures are on their way for Rafale (i'd say not before MLU aka 2030 or about btw.)

Member for

12 years 4 months

No response on your absurd claims on he APG-79, 63 huh haavarla? Well that’s to b expected when you talk out of your rear.

Member for

19 years 10 months

I think he is too busy figuring out when each JSF partner nations will individually sign LOT-11 contracts...

Member for

15 years 3 months

How does a pilot sit in a Gripen ? Is it reclined a bit ? Like F-16 ?

Member for

12 years 2 months

Definitely reclined (i sat in it). Can't tell you how many degrees however.

Member for

12 years 4 months

Looks like it's 30 degrees (close to the 30-31 degrees of the F-16), but I couldn't find any number from official source.

Member for

15 years 3 months

Viggen was mentioned with 19 degs.

Member for

15 years 3 months

Good find.

I would have guessed less.

Attachments

Member for

17 years 8 months

There comes a certain point where too much turns your vertical stab into a slicer.