Some pics i took in front of Yugoslav AF museum

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

No, static condition is fine.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Will ask about it.Oh,there is a problem of transport fee:)

Member for

24 years 4 months

Yep. The aircraft are de-milled i hope? Otherwise, importing them into the EU would be either very expensive or impossible. But if they have been made useless (no more weaponry, inert stuff put into the fuel tanks, stuff like that) it's no problem with customs.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Actually Yugoslav planes are supposed to be of high quality and very easy and cheap to maintain. Here is an email by an American guy who owns a G-2:

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 11:18 PM
To: Phil Boettcher
Subject: Soko Galeb

Phil - Thanks for your email of 6/21. Let me know what you find out about the oil and hydraulic gauges.

Re. your inquiry of my opinion about my Galeb: I've owned 101PP for about 9 years now, and don't get to fly it as often as I should or would like because of my work schedule. I try to put about 30 hrs. per year on it, though fell short of that last year. I had a P Baron before this, and when the kids went away to college decided I didn't need 6 seats and this was likely my last chance to get a warbird. Always had a hankering for the T-28, but every time I'd get a few bucks together the price would go up a few bucks, so it was always a step ahead of me. And, the more I learned about round engine warbirds, the more I came to realize
that if you buy one you'd better buy a mechanic to sit in the back seat, 'cause you're gonna need him.

I came across an article about this Soko in a EAA Warbirds mag, and got a ride in it. Long story short, I wound up with 101PP. Mark Clark brokered it for Lew Shaw and Delmo Johnson, and Lew was kind enough to fly with me and recommend me for an LOA Lew is great pilot and instructor (ex-USAF T-38 IP) as well as a good guy so the transition for this schlock jock was easy.

It's the best choice I could have made. The Soko has been nearly
bullet-proof for me, and has been the cheapest airplane to maintain I have ever owned...including our Cessna 172. When I want to fly, I can go out to the airport, make a walk around in 5 minutes, get in, and go. The aircraft is dirt simple mechanically and easier to fly by a long shot than (for instance) our C-310 or former B58-P. It has basically the same lift off, approach, and landing speeds as the P- Baron, but is a heck of a lot more fun and fast. Mine is weighted fairly nose heavy, which makes spin recovery easy. It's the only jet I've seen that can do a tail slide
and even a Lomczevak (!). Not with me at the controls, of course, but Lew does it in his Soko airshow routine.

The only mechanicals I've had in 9 years of ownership: (1) main inverter went out, and thought I'd have to buy another which we located on the shelf in CA for $250. My mechanic put it on the bench, found the brushes were bad, replaced 'em for $40.oo including labor and it's worked fine for the last 7 years. (2) Replaced brake pucks times 2, and the original discs on one wheel. (3) Pin hole leak in the hydraulic line to the speed brake, so fabricated and replaced that line. (4) Front cockpit oil and
hydraulic pressure gauges became unreliable, so I've switched them with the rear cockpit gauges for now. (5) Had a gear door warning light during retraction. The up lock actuator had a leaky O ring that cost about $70.oo to fix. (6)The flap position gauge has never worked, nor did it when Lew had the airplane - you don't need it anyway. That's it for 8 years. Not bad, I'd say, especially considering my friend at our home field who has owned a T-28 for 10 years: I see him working on most weekends I'm out there, but I've only seen it fly twice! My condition inspections (annuals) typically cost $700.oo, but was only $500.oo this year.

It burns about 150 gph at lower levels with maneuvering and light aerobatics, gate to gate. Cross country in low flight levels, probably 125 gph gate to gate. The performance is identical to the L-39, even if it doesn't look as sexy. At least it looks like a "real" jet, and not kind of wierd like a Fouga or Iskra. It's rather heavy on the ailerons and elevator compared to those with boosted control surfaces, but I love the simplicity and reliability its systems. The quality of Yugoslavian construction is very high, and vastly superior to Russian or Chinese. The skin is smooth, the lap joints are precise, and it's solid as stone. The Rolls Royce Viper has something like a 5200 hr. TBO - more than I'll fly in a lifetime.

My only complaints are: The wind noise is high since the canopy seals have been removed (do you know if they're available anywhere?), and it gets rather warm in the cockpit in the summer at low altitudes. Also, it's painted in Eastern bloc livery - that's a problem because the display area at Oshkosh discriminates against Commie planes, parking me way out near the end of jet line to make room for more politically correct "Amurican" jets. So, I never get to show the airplane to the public or even friends at OSH, since that area is cordoned off uring AirVenture. I'm toying with the thought of repainting it in Grumman F-9 Panther colors and see if they'll park me up close before they notice the scam.

That's about it. I love the plane, and would be lying if I didn't admit to getting a kick from the admiring glances of my fellow aviators when this baby taxis in. They know you've arrived, for sure.

If there's anything I can do to help you sell your Soko's, let me know. The more we have flying in the US, the better for us all from many perspectives.

Keep in touch,
John

Member for

20 years 3 months

Good text:) So come on people,lets make business:)

I will really ask how much one of them costs. For flying jet airplanes do you need to have a special licence or?

I am going to start on gliders first and then go to motor airplanes:)I found a really good deal trough my UNI

Member for

20 years 8 months

Very nice pictures!

Especially the Mig-21R.

Also, it's painted in Eastern bloc livery - that's a problem because the display area at Oshkosh discriminates against Commie planes, parking me way out near the end of jet line to make room for more politically correct "Amurican" jets.

Very unfortunate, and Yuguslavia wasn't ever technically part of the Soviets' commie bloc either.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I always had a liking for the Galeb, Jastreb and Orao. These are planes independent of the West or the Soviet bloc.

The construction quality of the J-22s are supposed to be even better since the Orao was the first project where Soko began using imported Western machine tools on a wide scale according to my trusty Salamander books.

Here's to the Yuguslavs rebuilding their aircraft industry.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Here are another 2 nice pictures of orao for those who like it.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 3 months

And another one.Notice the AGM-65s on the wings.

Attachments