Virgin atlantic expansion!!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

RICHARD BRANSON UNVEILS VIRGIN ATLANTIC EXPANSION PLANS

Virgin Atlantic Airways Chairman Richard Branson today announced that the airline is to embark on a period of sustained growth which will feature:
the launch of a series of new routes including Australia, Cuba, and The Bahamasan increase in services to the US, Caribbean, Asia and the Far East orders for two more A340-600 aircraft the recruitment of 1400 staff over the next year

Commenting on the news Richard Branson said:

"Following the last recession Virgin Atlantic had annual double digit growth from 1993 to 2000 and we aim to match this level in the next few years. There are encouraging signs that the market, particularly the all-important business travel sector, is returning to health. London to New York is the touchstone route for business travellers and our performance on this route has been incredibly strong in recent weeks. Across our network as a whole we've seen growth in our premium cabins of over 10% year on year. Some of this growth is being inspired by our new Upper Class Suite - it's not only winning awards but winning market share from our rivals as well.

"Our leisure traffic, especially out of Gatwick to Florida and the Caribbean, has remained very strong fuelled by an excellent performance from Virgin Holidays, the biggest UK tour operator to both regions. Aviation needs a sustained period without the sort of turbulence we've experienced in the last three years but we're looking to the future with real optimism.

"While the North American market will always be crucial to our success we're continuing our strategy of growing our network around the world and I'm pleased to be able to outline plans today to add new routes such as Sydney, Havana and Nassau over the next year and we're evaluating some further new destinations.

"I'm also delighted to confirm orders for two more A340-600s which means we will take delivery of six of these aircraft over the next two years. The new aircraft will be instrumental in fulfilling Virgin's plans for continued growth and will also continue our goal of operating one of the youngest fleets in world aviation.

"Finally, it gives me great pleasure to confirm that this growth will open up opportunities for up to 1400 people to join Virgin Atlantic over the next year. After the difficulties we've faced in the last few years it is great to offer so many people so many opportunities in all areas of the business - including pilots, cabin crew, engineers, airports and office-based staff."

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/press_release.view.do?press_id=2051

VIRGIN ATLANTIC PLANS NEW ROUTES TO CUBA AND THE BAHAMAS AND FURTHER EXPANSION ON EXISTING ROUTES

Virgin Atlantic announced today that it plans to launch direct services from Gatwick to Cuba and The Bahamas as well as increasing its existing services to Las Vegas, Grenada and Tobago from July 2005. The new services will operate twice a week to Havana in Cuba, starting from 21 July, and once a week to Nassau in The Bahamas, starting from 18 July. This will bring the airline's total number of destinations to twenty-five by summer next year.
An additional service to Grenada and Tobago will double the airline's services to two per week to the islands following the launch of services May 2003. The services will form part of a 20% increase in capacity to the Caribbean routes and will be operated by a Boeing 747-400.

Virgin Atlantic will also be increasing its services to North America by adding another service per week between Gatwick and Las Vegas bringing the number of weekly services up to five. Virgin Atlantic will also add another daily service between Gatwick and Orlando from October 2005.

Sir Richard Branson, Chairman of Virgin Atlantic, said:

"I am delighted Virgin Atlantic is launching two new routes to the Caribbean and I'm sure that both Cuba and The Bahamas will be extremely popular with our passengers. Our presence on these routes will bring increased competition and better value for money which is ultimately good news for the travelling public.

"The leisure market, in particular our services to the Caribbean, has remained strong throughout the past few years of difficult trading conditions and we are confident that its popularity will continue to grow over the coming years.

"The airline is now entering into a period of significant expansion where we expect to increase, not only the number of destinations we operate to, but also our fleet and capacity on routes worldwide. Gatwick is our spiritual home and plays a key role in our forward strategy. These new routes mean we will fly to ten destinations out of Gatwick.

"I went with my family to Cuba for Christmas and discovered an absolutely fascinating country with incredible beaches, beautiful countryside and fantastic architecture. I think British holidaymakers will love it and find it to be great value for money. For years and years The Bahamas have been asking us to break British Airways' monopoly on this route and at last we are putting our foot in the door."

Amanda Wills, Managing Director of Virgin Holidays, commented:

"Since launching services to Grenada and Tobago in 2003 Virgin Holidays has become the biggest long haul scheduled tour operator to the Caribbean.

"With a choice of over 140 hotels and 18 islands we offer holidays to suit everyone from small boutique style hotels to hotels that cater specifically for families. We even feature a property where you can learn to be a trapeze artist!"

Judith Wilcox, General Manager Caribbean, said:

"Since Virgin Atlantic entered the Caribbean market in 1998 we have flown approximately 1.4m passengers. Our expansion in the Caribbean in the past six years has been phenomenal and the new routes and additional capacity is great news for the Caribbean as a whole."

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/press_release.view.do?press_id=2052

Original post

Member for

24 years 5 months

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040323/airlines_virginatlantic_1.html

Sounds interesting. There is also a bit of news regarding Virgin USA. They are to use up to 35 A320s or B737NG's, discussions with Airbus and Boeing are starting next week. This won't be the only plane type. Virgin is talking with Bombardier and Embraer about 20 regional jets.

The Chief Executieve of the new, still unnamed, USA brand will be Frederick Reid.

The airline is expected to start early next year, but Reid said they might start sooner.

Reid also said the Virgin Group was in talks with an unnamed U.S. airline about acquiring some slots in the United States and could be interested in some assets of U.S. Airways.

"If something happened there (with U.S. Airways) we might well find they become partners instead of us having equity partners. There also might be some equity partners but they (U.S. Airways) would become a major shareholder in the company," he said.

Member for

21 years

(Adds details, comments starting in paragraph 8)
LONDON, March 24 (Reuters) - Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd plans to order two more A340-600 aircraft, recruit 1,400 staff, add new routes to Cuba and the Bahamas, and expand capacity on existing routes, the British airline said on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The expansion plans for the next year come as Virgin Atlantic Chairman Richard Branson, whose business empire spans mobile phones, music stores and airlines, said there were encouraging signs commercial aviation was returning to health.

"Virgin Atlantic is entering a period of significant expansion with new routes, more capacity on existing routes and new aircraft," the British billionaire, who owns 51 percent of the airline, said in a statement.

Sensitive to external shocks and economic cycles, much of the airline industry was plunged into a financial crisis after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on U.S. cities. The war in Iraq and the deadly SARS virus also hurt demand for air travel.

But Branson's positive comments on air travel demand adds to the chorus of other airline and aerospace executives talking about a gradual industry recovery after three years of savage cutbacks. Virgin Atlantic cut 1,200 jobs in September 2001.

Branson said Virgin is optimistic about a recovery in aviation, adding: "London to New York is the touchstone route for business travellers and our performance has been incredibly strong in recent weeks. Across our network as a whole we've seen growth in our premium cabins of over 10 percent year on year."

Branson said Virgin Atlantic's pretax profit in the financial year to the end of February 2004 was "a little bit better" than the 15.7 million pounds ($29 million) reported for the previous financial year to the end of April 2003.

Virgin said it would order two more A340-600 wide-body passenger jets, taking its total order of the 380-seat aircraft powered by Rolls-Royce (London:RR.L - News) Trent 500 engines to 12.

Virgin Atlantic, in which Singapore Airlines Ltd (SES:SIAL.SI - News) owns 49 percent stake, is a launch customer for the A340-600, making the deal particularly important to Airbus (Paris:EAD.PA - News; London:BA.L - News).

Branson told reporters he expected to complete talks with Airbus and Boeing by the end of the summer for potentially 30 more A340s or Boeing 777s.

"Potentially it could be as much as 30 wide-body planes, even more," Branson said, adding that the aircraft would start entering service in two years and some would be used to replace older A340s.

Branson said Virgin Atlantic would hire up to 1,400 new staff, including pilots, cabin crew, engineers and airports and office staff, over the next year. As many as 300 of those new jobs will be based at London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

NO-FRILLS IN THE USA

Branson also plans to start up a low-cost airline in the United States and will begin talks with Boeing and Airbus next week for an order of up to 35 A320s or Boeing 737s.

He said the as-yet-unnamed U.S. no-frills carrier, which will have airline industry veteran Frederick Reid as its chief executive from early April, was expected to begin services early next year but he was hopeful it could start earlier than that.

Branson, who will only have a 49 percent interest in the U.S. start-up because of foreign ownership restrictions, said Virgin was also talking to regional jet makers Embraer (Sao Paolo:EMBR4.SA - News) and Bombardier (Toronto:BBDb.TO - News) about an additional 20 planes for short-distance flights.

He said the Virgin Group was in talks with an unnamed U.S. airline about acquiring some slots in the United States and could be interested in some assets at U.S. Airways (NasdaqNM:UAIR - News).

"If something happened there (with U.S. Airways) we might well find they become partners instead of us having equity partners. There also might be some equity partners but they (U.S. Airways) would become a major shareholder in the company," he said.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Luvly jubbly...at this rate I'll be an A340 skipper by this time next year! :D

Member for

21 years 1 month

I look up to you so much :D

Member for

21 years 1 month

When you do become a captain, NEVER RETIRE!

Use as much of your life time flying that VS baby!

Member for

21 years 1 month

Originally posted by brenmcc1
When you do become a captain, NEVER RETIRE!

Use as much of your life time flying that VS baby!

I'm afraid he won't get a say in it, most airlines the mandatory age of retirement is sixty

Member for

20 years 11 months

They should also start plans to expand their Asian destination and Middle East and also plan services to South America.

I think they should also operate with in Europe using A319/A320/A321

Member for

24 years 5 months

Originally posted by dartie
In lieu of this, what's going on with the possible tie-up/co-op with Bmi?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Originally posted by dartie
They should also start plans to expand their Asian destination and Middle East and also plan services to South America.

BA, LH, and others already have this market tied up. Besides, european slots are already stretched. There isn't room to support an expansion such as what you're suggesting

Member for

24 years 5 months

Just to follow up a few points on this thread,

Bren and Steve - I intend to retire as long before sixty as my financial planning will allow but yes 60 is the usual retirement age except for BA where it is currently 55. I believe Britannia is 62 for their pension scheme, perhaps Moondance can confirm? if true that would mean that Captains would have to return to the right hand seat for their last two years.

Dartie - I am led to believe that the Capetown route has effectively been withdrawn this Northern hemisphere summer to free up an aircraft to operate a cruise ship charter to South America (Sao Paulo?).

I believe one of the reasons Virgin has been successful over the last 20 years is because the main part of the company has not become too involved in the European short haul network and it should stay that way. A tie up with bmi is about as far as they should look towards short haul but not before I have established my place on the seniority list! :D

I find it amusing that with the booked courses after mine at Virgin I am already showing a considerably higher distance from the bottom of Virgins seniority list than I have achieved in nearly 4 years of seniority at JMC/Thomas Cook!!!

Member for

24 years 5 months

Wys , I can't believe that VS has placed an order for 2 brand new A346 , just because you will join the company: lucky you :D :)

Member for

24 years 5 months

Originally posted by Hand87_5
I can't believe that VS has placed an order for 2 brand new A346

Yes, one for each foot!

...or...

One for me and one for my imaginary friend!

Member for

21 years 2 months

Well, these are good news for the route to australia (remember what we discussed some time ago). also this will mean a possible co-operation with Virgin Blue... Bet Star Alliance is looking with good eye Virgin Atlantic as they need desperetaly an Australasia partner.. the problem is Virgin Blue is a low cost carrier...

Also, he answered us the question whether virgin would go for boeing b777. the answer is no.. they are currently sticking with 4 engines 4 long haul! :):):)

kind regards

Member for

24 years 5 months

Originally posted by Cyprioteagle
...Also, he answered us the question whether virgin would go for boeing b777. the answer is no...

I think you missed the bit that said 'Branson told reporters he expected to complete talks with Airbus and Boeing by the end of the summer for potentially 30 more A340s or Boeing 777s'.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Originally posted by wysiwyg
I think you missed the bit that said 'Branson told reporters he expected to complete talks with Airbus and Boeing by the end of the summer for potentially 30 more A340s or Boeing 777s'.

Are Boeing still trying to woo Virgin with the 'buy one, get one free' offer on the 777?