(GRO) Girona Airport Info?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what Girona Airport is like in terms of serving airlines, size of terminal, facilities, shops etc?

Cheers!

Original post

Member for

21 years

If its like it was when I was there 5 years ago, small but neat terminal, a couple of shops, and I dont know if the balcony is still open overlooking the apron but that was ace!

Airport is usually quite quiet - Ryanair have a few based aircraft and you get the usual British and I imagine German charter airlines.

Hope that helps :)

Member for

24 years 4 months

Thanks Tom.

Do you know if its more the size of MJV, i.e. 4 or 5 check-in desks and an couple of dodgy looking souvenir shops, or is it more the size of ALC/AGP etc?

Is it the kind of place where could spend a day, or would you be brain dead???? ;)

Member for

21 years

Definitly more the size of MJV - I imagine unless you picked a busy day in the summer you would get very bored - take the bus to BCN instead!

Member for

24 years 4 months

Ok, cheers for the advice tom

Member for

20 years 3 months

Ye BCN would be the best idea. GRO has seen an increase in the number of carriers as of late and I think will see further expansion in the next few years. GRO will GRO.

Member for

24 years 4 months

I was there in 2000 last. Flew in from Glasgow on a JMC 757 and felt that it was like one of those Ryanair type airport's I.E. not much in the way of traffic, limited facilities and a former air force base feel about it.

In fact it is a former Spanish air force base.

Essentially it gets used by charters ferrying people to the Costa Brava resorts, so it's busy on certain days and quiet the rest of the time. I seem to recall sitting in a rarther spacious departure lounge on the way back which had a shop, bar and cafeteria. Views across the apron were quite good despite the fact there were only a couple of movements to observe.

As someone said Barcelona is much better, you can take a cab from Girona into town, where there are frequent rail services to Barcelona. I think the train took about 90 mins to get there ?

Member for

24 years 4 months

Thanks for all the info, sounds like I'm best giving it a miss this time then.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Are you sure its a former base? First time I was there in 1963 (at age 4) it was already a civil airpart. Its a very calm airport, haven't shot there anything since maybe 6 years or so, and I come there (passing it by car enroute to a nearby village) around 20 times a year, and it is very quit. The only interesting there is the occasional fire fighting aircraft during the sasno. In the peakmonths, let's say july/August things are different. There is a restaurant on a hill, called Esperaor or something. From their parking place you overlook the entire field and looks to be the best point to shoot. There used to be a spotters site. Give your searchmachine a look/search for Geronaspotter or Geronaspotters. BW Roger

Member for

24 years 4 months

The airport is served by 2 scheduled carriers, FR and HV (Transavia) with 20 scheduled destinations. The busiest period of the day for scheduled services is between 8-9am with 6 movements (so not a lot happening there then). Although from 3pm you will typically see 3-5 scheduled movements per hour until midnight.

Of the scheduled services the airport has a mix of 87% B737-800, 5% B757, 5% B737-700 and 3% B737 (not specified).

Annual traffic figures have boomed since the arrival of the low costs, and in 2003 it handled 1.4m passengers.

The runway has a length of 2400m.

Hope that fills some technical gaps for you.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Are you sure its a former base?

Haven't researched it Roger, but that's what I was told at the time?