Airlines And Their Requirements

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

I have been planning a flying career for quite a while and have been consistently researching ways to do my dream job.

While researching flying schools and which one to choose(in Canada, US or Europe[where I am currently]), I have also read various things about different airlines and what they require(American and Canadian nonetheless). They seem to want a lot of HOURS (obviously!), some sort of university/college degree (to show that you are smart and can do theory) and what else?

1)Do Airlines really look how recognized/good your flight school is where you completed your training and the where you acquired your degree(as well as the marks)? How important is this compared to how many hours you have?
I currently have the option to attend colleges/flight schools in US, Canada, Greece, Serbia and Montenegro, Croatia, possibly other Eastern or Western European schools. Should I go back home to Canada and sign up to a flying program which would be cheap(cuz I am at home) or should I attend a good flying school in Florida or England? I am stuck with this decision right now.

2)Do they really care how many languages you speak? I am fluent in Serbian/Croatian, English and I am going to learn Greek since I moved to Greece. I also hope to learn more languages in the future since I can babble on quite a few others(Latin and Slavic languages).

3)Is fitness/health also important when they evaulate you?

4)What else do they look at?

Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

1) Airlines at times look a bit more favorabily at certain flight schools when it comes to granting interviews but that's about as far it goes. It's still up to the applicant to get the job. It seems that each university has 1 or 2 operators that most of their graduates get hired by.

Does it really matter where you go? No, not at all. All they really care to see are the proper certificates, a degree and flight time. When I was hired we had everything from AV8 and KC-10 pilots to folks who only flew at Mom and Pop flight schools.

One thing to consider is a flight school that offers internships with companies that interest you. Some schools have internships with Fractional Ownership operations while others have major or regional airlines. Interns do get preferential interviews and are hired with significantly less time than non-interns.

Steer clear of schools offering quick paths to the airlines. You pay more for the opportunity and nothing is a guarantee so you're better to spend your money in other ways. Usually the larger the school the more $$ it costs but the small the school the less opportunities they offer, it's a trade off.

Pilot's who spend $75,000 on their certificates are just as qualified as those that spent $50,000.

Grades/Marks are important but not the most important thing in the eyes of companies. They don't want to see any significant negatives on your transcript but a C in Economics won't hurt your chances. But if a interview panel had to chose between an A-student or C-student I'm sure grades will play a part in their decision.

2) Not in the US at least.

3) There isn't any formal fitness standard that I'm aware of but if you start weezing from standing up they might decide to pass on hiring you. ;) All they really care about is can you hold the appropriate medical needed to be a Captain.

4) The 2 things I've heard repeatedly from those that do the hiring at a few different airlines is A) Will this person make a good captain someday for us B) Could I stand to sit next to this person for 4 days?

As a disclaimer my answers come from my experience here in the US. It seems that the EU experience is quite a bit different when it comes to getting a job.