Singaporean Jumbo crashes in Taiwan

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

LAST EDITED ON 31-Oct-00 AT 08:42 PM (GMT)[p]anyone got any Ideas about how SQ006 crashed on take off from Taipei bound for LAX?

Original post

RE: Singaporean Jumbo crashes in Taiwan

i heard it was because of windshear...but why it was taking off in a typhoon is beyond me.it looks pretty nasty. I hope that not too many people were injured. Do you know how many are dead/injured?:-(
Regards

Unforternatly about 60 are now known to be dead, with the possibility of around 100 bieng dead.

I would just like to know though why SIA first said that everyone had got of the aircraft and no-one was injured.

If the wind isn't too bad a 747 could possibly get through atrong wind to a certain degree, and it is up to the captains own judgement. And i'm sure that as the captain and the rest of the cockpit crew have supposidly survived without injury this will be mentioned to them again and again.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The only details confirmed are that there were 179 people on board. SQ spokesmen in Taipei say 84 injured and 47 dead while 48 are unaccounted for. SQ spokeman in LA, however, report 49 deaths and 69 injuries.
I've heard reports that all three of the flight crew are among the injured.
I'm surprised at the mention of 'three', as, for the -400, there should only be two members of flight crew.
It apears to me that the Captain made the wrong decison in deciding to take off, with gusts of up to 160km/h (90mph) reported.
:'(

Member for

24 years 3 months

I don't know about windshear, the captain reports hitting something on the runway, this is starting to sound like concorde...

Member for

24 years 3 months

ok, 78 confirmed dead, with 85 injured, and 16 uninjured.
well, it could have been worse.

Member for

24 years 3 months

watch this space but i guarantee that with in a few hours every one is going to be saying that they don't want to fly any more!!!! three crashes in like three days wow!!!! singapore airlines, china airlines and a Taiwanese airliner!!!!
but i hate crashes because everyairline willl or has crashed and this one was impossible to stop once the decision to take off was made i hope they don't start knocking SIA because they are the best in the world-still and always!!!any way the death toll is now 77 (at the least) dead :(

LAST EDITED ON 01-Nov-00 AT 03:06 PM (GMT)[p]Just logged on to SIA web site... all there is are Company Reports re the crash, timed from 0100 1 Nov., thru 18:00 local 1 Nov. Their reports state that weather conditions at the time WERE within "operational safety limits", and that another A/C had departed safely 15 mins. before (that's a long time under these conditions, where things can change within 1 minute, but anyhow...).

TV news tonight had a report that there is some speculation that the Capt. was on the wrong runway (of 2 parrallels I guess), and that the r/way used by the SQ plane was under construction. Possible I guess, in very bad weather to miss the entrance of say the left r/way, and continue to the right one. BUt the TV report also went on to mention sudden wind shift on take-off.

Who knows???!!! I suspect due to the fortunate survival of the tech crew and recovery of data recorders, it will all become clear pretty quickly.

By the way... is this the first total loss of a 747-400?

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was horrible when I first heard this news. SIA has never had a crash in it's 28 year old history. Only it's subsidery Silk Air had a crash in Indonasia, it was a 737. The aircraft as I have heard crashed because the runway had just been fixed and they hadent removed the things which were used and the aircraft hit one of them and crcashed(just what I have heard lately). The aircraft which crashed was a 4 year old 747 Megatop and it was in a special colour scheme also. But i am sure still the SIA'a safety record will be excellent and they will be one of the top airlines of the world. But I am very sad of this crash:(:(

Member for

24 years 3 months

Survivors have reported anguish and distress after knowing that their flight was going to take off while many other had been cancelled. Many pointed how horrible was the wind which even made the plane shake on the way to the runway. Definitely I go for the windsheer. Whatever the cause, object on the tarmac or windsheer this proves that even in the supposed "safe" ones the procedures aren´t as they should be. Obvioulsy I´ve lost my confidence on SQ. My grief sorrow for the victims and relatives.

Sorry...When you say you've now lost your confidence in SQ, I think you are being a bit quick to judge the airline. It is way too early to tell what factors - and there are always many, never just one - were important in the crash. SQ's operating standards may or may not turn out to be important here. We'll know fairly soon, I suspect.

Member for

24 years 3 months

lost your confidence??? 82 fatallities in 28 years and you have lost you confidence in them how will you ever get around?
almost every airline in the world has crashed so how will you get around i too feel sorry for the passengers but i will never stop flying with them because they are still the best airline in the world.

Let's make a couple of things clear here:
1/ A crash is very rarely the result of just one single cause.
2/ Any speculation therefore on why this accident happened is useless.
3/ We are all basing our "knowledge" on what we heard in the tv news and / or read in the paper.
4/ See 2.
Just as an example. The Belgian tv news said the airplane had hit a loose wheel(!) on the runway...
Let's just wait and see what the investigation brings.
Is Singapore Airlines now a dangerous airline? Depends on how you look at the statistics...

Member for

24 years 3 months

I know this crash was fatal but i think ur loosing up confidence on SQ TOOO SOON. 28 years one crash, not bad at all I think. U actually cant have a perfect airline. SQ is one of the best airlines of the world and U just CANT loose faith on them so fast. I mean, crashes keep happining and who is not afraid of them.

SQ are very good and I agree with everyone elses views. So, does anyone know the definate cause? because the news seem to hav dropped it all of a sudden. The weather, I think was a major player. I can't understand why so many flights were cancelled and yet they let the 747 go. WAs that SIA's decision or ATC at Taiwan? What happened with the Gulf Air A.320 crash?
Regards

Member for

24 years 3 months

latest reports say SQ accept that the A/C, 9V-SPK, was on the wrong runway. Clearance was granted for 05L, but apparently the plane was on 05R. This runway was closed, and not lit, while 05L was lit. It seems very strange to me that an experienced pilot, as to all extents the Malay Captain is, should make such a catastrophic mistake.

Member for

24 years 3 months

what? not lit up and at night no pilot in the world would enter an unlit runway at night if the crash had happened in the day then i'd believe but at night noway!!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

apparently some of the lights on 05L were damaged in an incident earlier in the day. The extent of the damage has not, however been confirmed.

So what did it hit? I heard it was construction equipment. I think the pilot couldn't have known where he was going.
Regards

I come back to what I said earlier! I believe that in very bad visibility - at night as well - it might be very easy to miss the entry to the left runway altogether, keep taxiing and then turn on to what you THINK is the correct runway. This assumes tho' that there is a continuos taxiway form the entrance of one r/way to the next like there is at Bangkok.Does anyone have any knowledge of the layout of TPE?

I think it's such a coincidence that both Swissair and Singapore Airlines have had large, fatal crashes in the past 2 years.

These airlines put too much of an empasis on service and have obviously become complacent as a result. They think they are the best airlines in the world, but if SIA's pilot took off from the wrong runway it doesent say much about their training, and Swissair, thier MD-11's were stil flying after the crash, despite the fact it was caused by faulty wiring. They really have no idea.