Iraqi doesnt produce chemical weapons according to an American former UN inspector

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 5 months

I really hate translating news but it seems really interesting so here I go.

########
Scott Ritter, former UN inspectors chief in Iraqi, accused today Donald Rumsfeld, US defense secretary, of being a liar and said Iraqi doesnt have any underground factory producting mass destruction weapons."I followed all the clues that inteling services provided and until 1998, we didnt found even one of these factorys", said Ritter to the swiss magazine Die Weltwoche.
Ritter said that during 1993-1998, UN inspectores have used informations from CIA and north-americans geophysicians to investigate Iraqi. "It´s impossible that since then, Iraqi have built any underground factory without being noticed by American sattelites", affirmed the former inspector.
For Ritter, Rumsfeld is "a liar obssessed by the idea of destroying Saddam Hussein. That obssession is irresponsible and violates all the ethical principles which constitue the US power". Ritter said that Iraqi produced poor quality anthraz and the last time it did was during Gulf War in 1991.
The UN former inspector chief, who was a mariner during that war, said that he found out tabun and sarin gas factorys, but he couldnt prove that Saddam's chemical enginners have ever developed the cristaline form of vx nervous gas.
About US accusations that Iraqi can produces nuclear weapons, Ritter said that Rumsfeld "lies and wants to start a war before demonstrating the facts".
He resigned his job in 1998 and, in following, acussed Washington government of trying to use UN inspectors to spy Iraqi - hipothesis used by Saddam Hussein to expulse all the international inspectors from Iraqi.

Original post

Member for

24 years 5 months

RE: Iraqi doesnt produce chemical weapons according to an American former UN inspector

yes, i've heard of him on a live radio interview, either he is correct, or he sounds very very bitter over not being given any classified info he asked of.

Member for

24 years 5 months

RE: Iraqi doesnt produce chemical weapons according to an American former UN inspector

Interesting opinion, from someone who has always been very tough to the Iraqi regime (that´s why he was force to leave Iraq in the past).

Member for

24 years 5 months

You mean from someone who is current just in Iraq saying Iraq don't have any WMDs even though he has been out of the intellegence loop for quite a while. If he didn't believe in Iraq having weapons but openly saying the US government should show him intellegence evidences, yet now openly says Iraq doesn't have any even though he doesn't have any first hand intellegence on such, how can he pick sides? At best he should be prudent against the claims from both sides. So, that pretty much tells you his stance doesn't it? How was he critical against Iraq? In my opinion, here is a man who is very bitter against others doubting his assessments. Maybe he's correct, but his stance leaves no room that maybe the intellegence knows better. No, it must be that he knows better. That clearly shows his personal problems.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Didn't the gentleman in question try to quit over a row with the US Govt because they were using his inspection teams as cover for CIA operatives? Personally I wouldn't allow inspectors back into my country if they had a history of spying.

"Didn't the gentleman in question try to quit over a row with the US Govt because they were using his inspection teams as cover for CIA operatives? Personally I wouldn't allow inspectors back into my country if they had a history of spying."

It wasn't the spying so much as the active attempt to find where SH was at any one time for the purposes of sending him a 500kg LGB.

The whole point of the arms inspectors was to find and destroy his Chem, Bio, and Nuke programs... the NSA wanted to just kill SH.
Now the whole US government has come out of the closet.
Of course we probably wouldn't know all of this if it wasn't for the fact that the original UNSCOM team was multinational... an all US team probably wouldn't have leaked so badly...