Hurricane Ivan

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Guys,
Please spare a prayer or two for my family members down in Mobile, AL during this terrible time. Even here at school we're in Ivan's path, though I think I'm gonna be fine.

I'm just worried about my extended family.

It's a rough storm, with 135 mph winds at landfall (i.e. category 4).

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

They'll be fine! :)

Member for

21 years

Our thoughts are with you at this terrible time

Member for

20 years 8 months

Bit of wind... Fly a kite (but strap yourself down all the same!) - Nermal

Member for

24 years 4 months

Sadly my friend in Georgia lost her house yesterday to a tornado that ripped through her area. She's currently undergoing a divorce and has her son 16 and daughter 10 with her and now no where to live.

I don't care what the boffins say, the worlds weather pattern has changed, The Carribean area is bracing itself for the fourth Hurrican in as little as three weeks, and Australia is rapidly running out of water (we haven't had a good rain fall in 3 and a half years).

Member for

24 years 4 months

...and Australia is rapidly running out of water (we haven't had a good rain fall in 3 and a half years).

You guys are running out of water because some moronic farmers there thought it might be a good idea to construct rice paddies in the desert :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 4 months

Art, are you sure you have the right country? There are no rice paddies in out outback, we mainly have Sheep and Cattle out there and the areas that have plant life have orchads for some of the best wine in the world (which remeinds me, you still owe me a bottle for the mystery legs incident).

Member for

20 years 11 months

No, you got it wrong: the American government insists that there is no such beast as global warming and that it has nothing to do with American industry either. George "Weapons of Massed Destruction" W Bush said it, so it must be true.

Flood

Member for

24 years 4 months

Ja, you first have to give me the contact details for those legs next to that MiG, and it was actually a carton of wine, not a bottle.

As for Australia's rice production, it's 700.000 tons annually with 85% of that exported. The rice paddies are actually in former desert areas, using water from the Snowy Mountains. Here's more on Ozzie rice: http://www.agriculture.asn.au/aust_agri/agri_industries/rice/marketing.htm

Member for

20 years 2 months

Every time more than one freaking tropical cyclone hits land people start blaming global warming. do some research. There aren't an extraordinary number of tropical storms recently, not when compared to historical records.

In fact, we've been a bit of a dry spell over the past few decades, having significantly fewer storms than in historical times.

If these stupid storms had wandered off the coast, missing the US, nobody would be saying anything. A few hit the same area within a short period of time, and people think the world is coming to an end.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Every time more than one freaking tropical cyclone hits land people start blaming global warming. do some research. There aren't an extraordinary number of tropical storms recently, not when compared to historical records.

In fact, we've been a bit of a dry spell over the past few decades, having significantly fewer storms than in historical times.

If these stupid storms had wandered off the coast, missing the US, nobody would be saying anything. A few hit the same area within a short period of time, and people think the world is coming to an end.

Yes, strange isn't it.
One or two tropical storms does not gloabal warming make... But if you really want to make an impression then maybe you ought to tell us what is - not what isn't - causing it... Face it laddo, I can claim it is butterflies in the Amazon basin fluttering their tiny wings and causing these extreme weather features - there are bound to be quite a few research papers around that can back that theory up. But if we are all honest about this sort of thing then few will admit to be seriously taken with this idea - it is much easier, for example, to believe that dust particles from the use of fossil-fuels might – due to their darker colouring – be absorbing the Suns heat and allowing it to pass through to the earths surface. This, in combination with such dust particles actually laying on the surfaces, could be a major reason that the polar ice caps are not actually as cold as they were before the advent of industry in the world and are even melting in their mid-winter seasons… Do you doubt that the ice caps are defrosting? Have a look and find images showing areas of what should be snow fields but are now displaying their base-rock surfaces – ground that probably never previously saw the light of day from the moment they were cool enough to accept their first layer of snow…
http://www.geology.uiuc.edu/~fossils/Antarctica/96.antarctica.jpg
(I shall qualify that this picture does not necessarily show such an area – but it is indicative of the scenario described above)

It has been said that one day soon a vessel is going to collide with an iceberg – the Titanic scenario – because so much pack ice (from Antarctica) is following the ocean currents rather than remain anchored that such an event is extremely likely: the ice is becoming detached and that is helping to lower the core temperature too. It is becoming difficult to walk to and from the North Pole now because the ice surface is so fluid – some walk, camp for the night, then wake up to find themselves 20-odd miles further away from the pole due to drifting. This coupled with the sudden break-up of the surface in areas which used to be a solid 20 metres or more of ice which melts down to 2 metres or less.
The oceans currents flow in vast circles (as I understand it), from cold to warm and therefore from the polar caps to the equator and back again: if the polar ice caps are warmer then the currents will also be warmer (stands to reason, yes?) and this will have an effect in the tropical zones – precisely how I know not but it could easily manifest itself as an increase in rainfall or the more frequent appearance of tropical storms (heat rises and takes fluid with it, then it moves away from the equator and – hey presto – you have a weather system). Care to deny that?
A dry spell? In Britain (where we have just experienced one of the wettest Augusts on record) we are currently in the process of reappraising our weather records – not a day goes by when somewhere isn’t experiencing its unseasonally wettest, driest, hottest, coldest, windiest, or sunniest 24 hour period since records began: and in Britain that generally means for around 150-200 years. Why would the climate suddenly decide that to have a change? In 1963 Britain experienced what was described as a mini ice age with 9ft snow drifts and the sea freezing over around the coast; but whilst this was exceptional it seems that the sea did freeze over every so often, that Britain [i]did]/i] get snow that drifted and covered houses – 1963 was apparently different since it lasted around three months and covered the length of Britain, not just the north. Last winter I never needed to scrape ice from my car windscreen at all: the local pond froze for two days and was nowhere near thick enough for the skating competitions that apparently used to be held on it regularly until quite recently.
You say these storms would never have been remarked upon had they wandered up offshore – generally these conditions are land governed: they need the combination of sea/land to occur, they wouldn’t have happened off shore. Admittedly getting so many in such a short period sounds very unlucky, but how many happen in a ‘normal’ year? People think the world is coming to an end because ‘experts’ start to flap – and when they do that then the less well informed panic (experts aren’t supposed to show such emotions).
Still, expect you have a plausible reason for all this in mind…?

Flood

Member for

24 years 4 months

Well, aside from some minor damage and power outages I survived okay here at school. Everyone else in my family is okay as well, with my family down in Mobile being the only ones to not have power back yet.

The odd thing is......Ivan is back......the remnants were pushed out of the Atlantic and then back down over Florida into the Gulf of Mexico by a high pressure system, and the damn thing has reformed into a Tropical Depression with sustained winds of about 35 mph. They are predicting it to reform into a Tropical storm pretty soon (sustained winds of at least 40 mph but no more than 74 mph). I guess Ivan the Terrible lives again!

Hopefully it won't do anymore damage.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Would there be anything left for it to damage? - Nermal

Member for

24 years 4 months

Only if they start rebuilding the rubble too fast.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Rubble? Thought a hurricane was a bit like a redneck divorce...;)

Flood