Your worst job EVER?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

A question for all of you: what was the worst job you ever had?

Mine was working for a company that supplied those toilet cubicles you find at concerts and building sites. I had to place them, clean them, and pick them up when the contract ended.
Those cubicles weighed 100 - 120 kilograms each. The lorry had no hoisting device, like a lift or crane, so when they had to come off I had to let it drop off the side while I gave it some support with arms, hands or shoulder to prevent it from falling over. It was quite dangerous. When I had to pick them up I had to lift and shove them up the loadbed, also by hand. That was really hard labour, I can tell you.
Cleaning them was an unspeakable filthy job, especially when they were placed at a building site. Normally the toilets are reckoned to be used (roughly) by 6 persons in one week, relieving themselves once a day. But at construction sites, they were often used by 30 or 40 people the entire week... You can imagine the pile of sh!t in the tank!
To empty the tank a pump was mounted on the loadbed of the lorry to suck it all out, along with a waste tank (500 L), a clean water tank (500 L) and a pressure washer.
So I had to stick a powerful sucking nozzle in all that poop :( and stir it up a bit to prevent the nozzle becoming blocked. Disgusting.

After 1 month I decided that handling large quantities of human waste was not giving me the job fulfillment I desired, so I resigned from the job. Doing so made me a happy man again !! :D :D

Tillerman.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

21 years

Can't say i've ever had a bad job, but yours certainly sounds sh!tfull i must say!!!

Member for

19 years 6 months

My first job out of university was a weekend news reader for a "all news" radio station.
Compared with Tillerman's job you're probably wondering "how that could be so bad?".
First some background. First the station owner switches his fairly successful music sation to the all news format being offered by NBC. They'll fill something like 55 minutes of national and international news an hour. All a station has to do is fill a 5 minute local news block. So he fires the DJs, gets rid of the records and turntables, and goes into the news business by hiring a pompous news director. After six months NBC, losing money, discontinues the service. Suddenly, the station needs to fill an entire hour.
So here I come with journalism, braodcasting and history degrees.

My job is simple...I have to read the news for about 45 minutes an hour, play commecials at specified times, and during the commercials I'm supposed to re-write news as it comes across "the wire" (teletype), monitor police scanners for local emergencies, and write any local news after checking with various authorities. Plus, I'm given a crash course in how to operate the transmitter which has to be turned down to reduced power at sunset. Time to get a drink, go to the bathroom....or even write any news...hah! Hire a producer or news writer? Not for this cheap outfit.

I start dreaming about the job...having nightmares that I didn't run a commercial at the right time, or miss a big story because I'm too busy doing my job to do it well.

My reward for this multi-tasking...five cents more than the minimum wage.

BTW: The slave driver of my boss is still doing local radio news from 6 am to 6 pm. His bombast is still evident all these years later. I listen to him some afternoons and laugh while he screws-up during nearly every newscast...
At least I'm rewarded with the thought that I had a great career, saw a lot of the world, indulged my interests and hobbies, and I'm now semi-retired. He's still chasing car wrecks, the occasional armed robbery and mispronouncing words on a daily (sometimes ever minute) basis.

Member for

18 years 7 months

mine?. well, one summer i got a temp job in a tannery, there was six of us sorting the cow hides fresh from the slaughterhouse just down the road. the hides, sometimes still warm from the backs of the ows were covered in fleas, flies, shiz and god knows what else. of the six that started on the monday there was only me left on thursday, i stuck it for the whole two month contract. i was well paid but well smelly. ugh!!!

all the best

Member for

18 years 5 months

Emptying the toilets on Viscounts in Southend following long distance IT flights from the Continent. You had to be very careful not to spill any when carrying down the aircraft steps and emtying them the in cart.

When the cart was full, which didn't take long, I then had to tow it over to the hangar on the north side of the airfied which meant crossing the runway. Unfortunately as the runway had a deep gutter either side it made the contents tended to slop about a bit with some of it being deposited on the runway!

Ah, happy days!

Member for

20 years 8 months

The one I'm in just now!

Member for

18 years 9 months

All of them.....
Ive only ever had three jobs in 23years of working life and ive enjoyed none of them.Proberbly my fault not expanding my horizons, but being a poorly educated dyslexic, i find it easier to get in at the bottom and work up, which takes time.But they find out your not daft and good at what you do, so you eventually get stopped short of your personal targets in life.(never make a good hod carrier chief brickie)To say they were the worst jobs is probably a bit strong, i learned a lot of life's skills from them but still not fully reaching a personal level of contentment.
Every day i pray for better for the boys and even work extra hours to pay for after school tutorage, just as my dad did for me ,but in a way i feel as if ive let him down a bit.........

Member for

18 years 3 months

working at mikey d's (mcdonalds) on a weekend night shift when i was 17, not as bad as the poo movers, but its the one i hated most

Member for

18 years 9 months

working at mikey d's (mcdonalds) on a weekend night shift when i was 17, not as bad as the poo movers, but its the one i hated most

AHHHH fat ronalds,did you get free food?
all the management look ten!!! what happens to them, is it like logan's run, hit late twenties and...........
HOLD ON ,HOLD ON that's how they make their burgers...
ReconstitutedSTAFF

Member for

18 years 6 months

Not having a job.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Not having a job.

Same here:D

Member for

20 years 9 months

Whats a job? :D :D Anna :diablo:

Member for

18 years 8 months

Well, I've done the same job since leaving school. I work in music, which has given me some incredible experiences as both a live sound engineer and as a bass player. Playing a gig on a beach in The Azores at 2AM to 10,000 people or mixing a band on a festival to an audience of 40,000 is pretty awesome, but when it's bad, however, it's bad. REALLY bad.

Here are a few photos from the Blakey Ridge music festival in North Yorkshire last year. As you can see, it rained. When we arrived in the morning it looked like the gig may be cancelled. Eventually after much debating we set up and tried to make it work, but after a few hours the weather beat us and we had to quit. Once we loaded the truck with all our soaked gear, we needed a tractor from a local farm to pull our truck out (and guess who ventured underneath to attach the chain). We were soaked, muddy, extremely cold and p!ssed off, but hey... I'm gigging in nice warm arenas, theatres and concert halls in Portugal, Denmark and Norway for the next three weeks, so I don't care :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/MMSR5/Picture033.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/MMSR5/Picture039copy.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/MMSR5/Picture037.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/MMSR5/Picture044.jpg

Paul