Your first solo

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-01-03 AT 08:01 PM (GMT)]We have quite a few pilots of both powered and non-powered 'planes on these forums, how about some anecdotes about your first solo's ?

Mine was in a Kirby Cadet MK111 glider at Old Sarum in wiltshire on 10.10.76.

I was a mere lad of 16,in the Air Cadets...1011 Squadron ATC... about to be let loose in one of Her Majesties front line fighters (okay, I was dreaming) without a grey haired font of all knowledge in the back seat in case yours truly dropped a whatsit !.

I remember making sure my straps where really tight ! when my instructor casually climbed out and said "off you go" in that nonchalant way they have.

The launch went well...I couldnt find how to kill the reheat... cos withought the guy in the back, the old Kadet accelerated like a ferret up a trouser leg. Gained flying speed in what seemed 50 feet, got to 100 feet up and pulled !. the phrase 'Homesick angel' springs to mind !!!. Had to yaw the plane from side to side cos withought the extra weight, the winch driver was actually pulling me up and not far short of WFOS (Wing Fall Off Speed). however, he slowed the winch down and I managed a respectable 1100 feet before releasing the cable and doing my checks.

To this day, I do not how I resisted the temptation to let rip with a YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. There I was, couldnt drive a car but I was flying on my own !

It was amazing the difference in solo flight compared to when under instruction, the glider just didn't seem to want to come down, so I had plenty of practice in 360 turns at the end of each leg.

I remember looking down just before turning on finals and seeing a red flag flying ?...what the hell was that all about ? Ah...its me...fist solo...bettter not screw up cos everyone is watching !.

Settled into the final approach, speed spot on, height spot on, Damn, am I good or what !. right down to the flare...bladdy 'ell, this floats forever one up !!!. Kissed the grass with the mainwheel, out with the speed brakes and keep wings level...and not even a bounce !

Only trouble was I stopped, straddling the launch cable for the next guy who was ready to go up !. *hit...double *hit !!. Now I was taught not to leave the cockpit...yeah right, straps off, and jumped out, waving like mad at the tower (actually a platform on the back of an old Bedford) who realise my predicament and aborted the launch. The recovery landrover arrived pronto and the rest of the cadets on my course helped load the glider back on the recovery trailer and back to the launch site to do it again, just to prove the first time wasnt a fluke.

In all I did three soloes that day and at the end when my instructor came over and said "If all my landings where like yours, I'd have nothing to worry about !", you culd have knocked me over with a feather.

And from that day on I ALLWAYS had my top button on my uniform tunic undone !!!!

Whats your story ?

Cheers

Gary

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Your first solo

I've had several memorable occasions which I consider as valid as my first solo:

First solo - Age 16 in a K13 glider on a winch launch. I soared for 22 minutes in very weak thermal lift and had the only soaring flight at the club that day!

First powered solo - Age 17 in a C152 at Shoreham. I was a silly bugger in those days and thought it would be fun trying to use the right seat controls while sitting in the left!

First flight as an instructor - In a Blanik glider at Kenley. A fraught experience when you let other people try to kill you!

First training flight in a twin-engine aeroplane - You feel like the king of the airfield when there is more than one throttle in your hand. People start taking you much more seriously, wallet empties very quickly.

Instrument rating flight test - The hardest flight anyone does in their life, ever, period. Getting a first time pass is a great thing to boast on your CV. I passed first time, I boasted!

First flight in a commercial aeroplane - For me it was a Saab 340 and suddenly you start to feel a real sense of acheivement. Mixing it with the heavy metal at big airports like Schiphol makes you feel cocky until you get a bit too close and experience some wake vortex.

First flight in a jet - My first flight in a jet was a 757 from Gatwick to Chateauroux near Poitiers before doing 6 touch and go's. Things happen fast in a jet so at the start you are just hanging on to its coat tails.