Blenheim L3627 crash 1941.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

Just a couple of query’s on this crash.

Blenheim N3627 based at RAF Oulton, Norfolk, with 139 squadron.

On 8th of August 1941 While practicing Formation flying over Oulton one engine, either caught fire or failed
It then crashed at North Barningham, and burst into flames, Farm workers tried to rescue crew, but were beating back by flames and exploding ammo.

Two crew were killed.
Sgt. (Pilot) John.Adrian.Gibbs, RAFVR. aged 20. Uk National. Service no: 1174298
Son of Eric N. Gibbs and Marjory E. Gibbs, of Westminster, London.
NORWICH CEMETERY, Norfolk Sec. 54. Grave 523.

Sgt. (Obs) James.Pierson.Shaw RAFVR (of Canada), aged 28. Uk National. Service no: 920449
NORWICH CEMETERY, Norfolk Sec. 54. Grave 524.

My questions.
A Blenheim usually has a crew of three, so did the third member bale out before the plane crashed or was he never on the plane as they were only practising this I find highly unlikely in 1941?

J. P. Shaw is on CWGC as a UK national but is said to be of Canada. And no mention of any family.
So did JP emigrate to Canada, and the war started before he was granted citizenship?

Thanks for any help.

Original post

Member for

19 years 2 months

Richard,

Chorley in Bomber Command Losses Vol.2 gives the following........

8 August 1941

139 Squadron
Blenheim IV N3627 X-
Op. Training

Crashed 0944 hrs near North Barningham church at Barningham park to the north west of Matlaske, Norfolk. Two of the crew baled out, but Sgt, Shaw a Canadian serving in the RAF, had only one hook of his parachute fastened and fatally delayed the canopy from deploying.

Crew.

Sgt. J A. Gibbs +
Sgt. J P. Shaw +
Sgt. D. Beale

Member for

18 years 3 months

Thanks peter.

Unfortunately D. Beale was killed two months later.

Blenheim Z7273 XD-H. op. Circus 108A
Airborne 1215 from Oulton. shot down by Me109s near Arques (Pas-de- Calais), 4 km SE of St-Omer. All are buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. F/L R.J.Chamberlain DFC KIA Sgt F.L.C.Jewell KIA Sgt D.Beale KIA "

Beale, Donald, Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr) RAVR. 139,Sqdn. Service no 1161382.
13/OCT/1941 age 21 son of William and Mary Beale.
Boulogne Eastern Cemetry. Plot 13. Row. C. Coll grave 1-3.