Bf 109 cannon/mg triggers

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 8 months

In 109s fitted with the motor cannon as well as mgs, was it possible to fire the cannon independently of the mgs and vice versa? I seem to remember reading that it could be done, but it (the reading) was a long time ago , and search as I may at the moment, I cannot find an answer
TIA
Mike

Original post

Member for

13 years 8 months

Anyone?
Mike

Member for

21 years 2 months

Yes it was the cannon was operated by a button on top of the control column grip which had a guard over it. When the guard was lifted it became the operating lever for the mgs

Attachments

Member for

19 years 4 months

The attached shows a Stuka stick top (same as Me109) and you can see the top trigger in stowed position obscurring/preventing the button being depressed (acting as a safety guide).

Member for

19 years 4 months

This shows a Fw190 early grip, similar design.....Thought I had more digi shots of grips with triggers up and down....must all be wet film!

Member for

13 years 8 months

Many thanks, guys - much appreciated
Mike

Member for

15 years 4 months

If an early Stuka (B/R) grip top, it is likely a KG12 model. The KG12 also saw use on the 109E and 110C. Later Stukas (G) used the KG13. Can you confirm the letter-number painted on the top side of the grip? Thank you.

The attached shows a Stuka stick top (same as Me109) and you can see the top trigger in stowed position obscurring/preventing the button being depressed (acting as a safety guide).

Member for

15 years 4 months

Early Fw190 A series used the KG14 grip - that's what's shown here. The lever on the side, allowing three settings (each marked on the grip head in white; e.g., 1.gr.), determined what combination of MGs/cannons was fired by the front trigger (here, the trigger's in the up, "safe" position). The KG 14 would be replaced by the KG13B on later Fw190s.

This shows a Fw190 early grip, similar design.....Thought I had more digi shots of grips with triggers up and down....must all be wet film!

Member for

15 years 4 months

The 109G-6 used the KG13A. The trigger, when in the down, armed position, fired the nose cannon; the button at top center (covered by the trigger when the trigger was in the up, safe position) fired the MGs. The button at the top, to the left, dropped external stores.

Yes it was the cannon was operated by a button on top of the control column grip which had a guard over it. When the guard was lifted it became the operating lever for the mgs

Member for

15 years 4 months

Another photo of a grip top showing the trigger (up and safe) and upper buttons - this represents both the KG13A and KG13B configurations.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 11 months

Both at once?

Very interesting, but I'm struggling a touch with this.

In one position the guard allows you to fire the cannon and in the other the MGs.

How do you fire both at once? Or can't you?

cheers and thanks, Don

Member for

15 years 4 months

In this photo you can see the trigger (for cannon) in the firing position after being rotated 270 degrees; there it contacts a small firing button set into the upper front of the grip. At the same time, the topmost button (for MGs) is exposed. To fire all weapons, together, the index finger pulls the trigger, while the thumb depresses the top button. I hope this makes sense.

Very interesting, but I'm struggling a touch with this.

In one position the guard allows you to fire the cannon and in the other the MGs.

How do you fire both at once? Or can't you?

cheers and thanks, Don

Attachments

Member for

24 years 4 months

Thank you for that very clear explanation, I finally have a grip (pun intended) on the procedure.

Moggy

Member for

15 years 4 months

My passion for Luftwaffe aircraft data/identification plates is only matched by my interest in cockpit control stick grips. So I was more than pleased to lend a hand (pun equally intended).

Thank you for that very clear explanation, I finally have a grip (pun intended) on the procedure.

Moggy

Member for

19 years 11 months

Thank you sfp54 ... 100% clear. cheers D

Member for

20 years 9 months

In this photo you can see the trigger (for cannon) in the firing position after being rotated 270 degrees; there it contacts a small firing button set into the upper front of the grip. At the same time, the topmost button (for MGs) is exposed. To fire all weapons, together, the index finger pulls the trigger, while the thumb depresses the top button. I hope this makes sense.
And the PTT button is under your little finger so if you are in a turning fight trying to fire both cannon and mg's together and talk to your wingman at the same time all you have to control the aircraft with is your two middle fingers and the palm of your hand, decidedly unfunny I imagine.